Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Lanka Premier League to be delayed further due to 'quarantine rules'

STRICT quarantine rules for foreign players will further delay Sri Lanka's cricket Premier League tournament, the game's national governing body said.

The league has been put off a second time due to the coronavirus pandemic.


The 23-match Lanka Premier League (LPL), originally due to start in August, was rescheduled for November 14, but has now been delayed by one more week, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) said.

It said the shift was to "ensure that participating players have adequate time to meet quarantine requirements as per the government’s health regulations".

Sri Lanka's insistence on two weeks' quarantine for any visitor to the country forced the Bangladesh national team to call off its three-Test tour of the island due to start next month.

The Tests in October-November were meant to mark the two nations' return to international cricket after a months-long lockdown halted professional sports worldwide.

SLC said the auction of players for the LPL, which was due on Thursday, had also been postponed, to October 9.

Five teams -- named after the Sri Lankan cities of Colombo, Kandy, Galle, Dambulla and Jaffna -- are due to take part in the tournament.

SLC said 30 foreigners, including Chris Gayle, Darren Sammy, Darren Bravo, Shahid Afridi and Shakib Al Hasan, would be available for the LPL.

International cricket came to a halt in Sri Lanka on March 13. The visiting England team pulled out on the second day of a practice match ahead of their two-Test series as the coronavirus pandemic spread.

Since then, South Africa has also cancelled a scheduled tour of Sri Lanka.

More For You

Ford EV

Ford has dropped its commitment to become an all-electric car brand in Europe by 2030

Getty Images

Ford backs away from all-electric Europe plan as hybrids return to centre stage

  • Ford has dropped its commitment to become an all-electric car brand in Europe by 2030.
  • Only two of the company’s five newly announced models will be fully electric.
  • The move comes after heavy EV losses, job cuts and slowing demand across the industry.

Ford is stepping back from its earlier promise to become an all-electric passenger car brand in Europe by 2030, marking one of the clearest signs yet that major carmakers are rethinking the pace of the electric vehicle transition.

The company announced plans to launch five new models across Europe, but only two will be fully electric. The remaining vehicles will include petrol, hybrid and plug-in hybrid options as Ford shifts towards what it now calls a “multi-energy” strategy.

Keep ReadingShow less