Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Jobs still at risk after Tata Steel’s £500m ‘green grant’

Britain said last Friday's (15) deal would help to safeguard 5,000 jobs, but Tata Steel UK currently employs more than 8,000 people

Jobs still at risk after Tata Steel’s £500m ‘green grant’

Britain is to pump £500 million into Tata Steel to decarbonise its Wales site, in a deal aimed at securing the future of the country’s steel industry, but which puts as many as 3,000 jobs at risk.

The £1.25 billion total funding package for Britain’s biggest steel works includes £750m investment from Tata to pay for the switch to lower-emission electric arc furnaces from current coal-powered methods.


Britain said last Friday’s (15) deal would help to safeguard 5,000 jobs, but Tata Steel UK currently employs more than 8,000 people. It raises the prospect of 3,000 redundancies, as the lower-carbon electric furnaces are less labour intensive.

The business and trade secretary, Kemi Badenoch, said the deal was the right thing for Britain and the workforce overall.

“We are saving jobs which would have been lost. Without this investment, we would probably have seen the end of steelmaking certainly in this part of the country,” she told reporters.

India-owned Tata Steel had long warned that without government help, it could be forced to close the Port Talbot site.

Britain said the new furnaces would cut its total carbon emissions by around 1.5 per cent, noting that Port Talbot is the biggest single carbon emitter. The government has been under pressure from businesses to help fund a transition to green energy.

Company bosses have warned that Britain is falling behind the US, which has benefited from the subsidies of the Inflation Reduction Act, and the European Union, which also has incentive schemes.

Ministers said the £500m steel grant was one of the largest state support packages in UK history. The deal follows an undisclosed level of financing the government provided to the Tata Group, parent company of Tata Steel, in July to build an electric vehicle battery plant in England.

British Steel, owned by Chinese company Jingye, which operates coal-fired blast furnaces in Scunthorpe and which has about 4,000 staff, will hope it could be next in line for a grant.

Britain’s steel industry directly employs 39,800 people according to figures released by UK Steel in May, and supports a further 50,000 jobs in the supply chain.

The government said Tata Steel UK would now inform and consult with staff and unions. But the Unite trade union criticised the government for not investing more in Port Talbot and failing to secure job guarantees with Tata.

“Unite will be fighting tooth and nail not only to save these jobs but to create more jobs in steel,” Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said.

The head of the TUC umbrella body of trade unions, Paul Nowak, said the uncertainty over jobs at the plant was “the opposite of a just transition”.

“Ministers must press pause and urgently get around the table with unions” to avoid compulsory redundancies, he said.

A domestic steel-making industry is crucial to Britain’s security because it is used to build warships and fighter jets, as well as underpinning the manufacturing and transport sectors.

More For You

aircraft

EasyJet announced it had already completed updates on many aircraft and planned to operate normally

Getty Images

Airbus grounds 6,000 aircraft over solar radiation risk

Highlights

  • Around 6,000 Airbus A320 family aircraft grounded worldwide, affecting half the manufacturer's global fleet.
  • Issue discovered following October incident where JetBlue flight experienced sudden altitude loss, injuring 15 passengers.
  • Most aircraft require three-hour software update, but 900 older planes need complete computer replacement.
Thousands of Airbus planes have been grounded globally after the European aerospace manufacturer discovered that intense solar radiation could interfere with critical flight control computers.
The revelation has triggered widespread flight cancellations and delays, particularly affecting the busy US Thanksgiving travel weekend.

The vulnerability impacts approximately 6,000 aircraft from the A320 family, including the A318, A319, and A321 models. Airbus identified the problem while investigating an October incident where a JetBlue Airways flight travelling between Mexico and the US made an emergency landing in Florida after experiencing a sudden drop in altitude.

The issue relates to computing software that calculates aircraft elevation. Airbus found that intense radiation periodically released by the sun could corrupt data at high altitudes in the ELAC computer, which operates control surfaces on the wings and horizontal stabiliser

Keep ReadingShow less