Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Why actor Asif Khan wants more Asians in the entertainment industry

by LAUREN CODLING

AN AWARD-WINNING actor has said he hopes to see more young Asians engage with the theatre as his play debuted in Stratford-upon-Avon earlier this month.


Asif Khan takes on the title role in the Royal Shakespeare Company’s (RSC) production of Tartuffe which tells the story of his character, Tahir Taufiq Arsuf, a fraudster who pretends to be an imam in Birmingham.

Arsuf works his way into a Muslim household, hoping to manipulate them and win their trust. His hidden agenda then comes to the surface and causes friction within the family unit.

Bradford-born Khan hopes the British-Muslim setting will appeal to young Asian audiences and encourage them to see the show.

Khan, who took an interest in drama when he studied at the University of Bradford, told Eastern Eye that though academic subjects were important, the arts should not be ignored.

“I would like to see young Asians coming to the theatre and doing drama classes and not always follow academic routes,” he said.

“They are great jobs that need to be done, but we would like to see more people join us [in the arts],” he added.

In June, Khan won the award for Best Production at the Eastern Eye Arts, Culture and Theatre Awards (ACTAs) for his debut play, Combustion.

The ACTAs focuses on diversity within the arts, a message which Khan strongly agrees with.

He believes it is imperative for the industry to reflect British society, hence the importance of platforms such as the ACTAs.

“We saw a lot of diversity in the London Olympics, for instance, but in theatre and art forms, we don’t see as much. It is predominately white,” he said.

On his current work in Tartuffe, Khan says he is excited to see the audience’s reaction to the modern British-Pakistani setting.

Originally performed in the 17th century, the story was written by French playwright Molière. Adapted numerous times, this will be the first time the story will be set in a Muslim household.

“It has so many new elements,” Khan enthused.

A big fan of his “mischievous” character, Khan says it is always a thrill to look at a new script and discover the story.

“Entering with a blank canvas and finding as much as I can about the actual text itself... that is when other ideas start to drop in about physicality and accent,” he said. “It

is a great character to play.”

While at university, Khan joined the Theatre of the Mill company and said it gave him an opportunity to realise his artistic ambitions and he decided to pursue a professional

career in acting.

Khan praised the theatre for its influence, admitting he has “a lot of love” for the group. “I learned a great deal there,” he recalls.

In 2006, he moved to London and trained as an actor at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).

Since then, Khan has performed in and written numerous plays. He also featured on the BBC New Talent Hotlist 2017 for new writers.

“Drama is a powerful tool to communicate and express yourself,” Khan explained.

“Being able to create characters, explore what is going on in the world, and putting voices you never hear onto the stage and letting them speak is an amazing thing.”

Tartuffe is playing at the Swan Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon, until Saturday, February 23rd, 2019.

More For You

Heidi Klum

Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival

Instagram/heidiklum

Heidi Klum Venice Film Festival look with daughter Leni reignites criticism over mother-daughter lingerie fashion partnership

Highlights:

  • Heidi Klum and daughter Leni walked the Venice Film Festival red carpet in matching corset-style gowns.
  • The supermodel opted for a blush pink silk design, while Leni wore an inky black version.
  • Both gowns were created by Italian lingerie brand Intimissimi, for which they are ambassadors.
  • The mother-daughter duo previously fronted a controversial campaign for the same brand.

Heidi Klum's Venice Film Festival appearances always generate headlines, but this year she doubled the impact by walking the red carpet with her daughter Leni. The pair stunned in co-ordinated gowns from Italian intimates brand Intimissimi, bringing high fashion and red carpet glamour together in one of the festival’s most talked-about moments. Their matching corset silhouettes highlighted the duo’s modelling credentials and added a striking family twist to the opening night of the prestigious event.

Heidi Klum Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival Instagram/heidiklum

Keep ReadingShow less
Ahaan Panday

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara

Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Ahaan Panday says Bollywood wronged him and admits he was delusional before 'Saiyaara' broke box office records

Highlights:

  • Ahaan Panday opens up on being ‘wronged’ before his Bollywood debut
  • Actor admits he spent years in ‘blind optimism’ waiting for launch
  • Saiyaara has become the highest-grossing love story in Indian cinema history
  • The Mohit Suri directorial collected £53 million (₹563 crore) worldwide

Bollywood newcomer Ahaan Panday has revealed that he felt “wronged” by people in the industry before finally making his long-awaited debut with Mohit Suri’s Saiyaara. The 27-year-old actor, who comes from the well-known Panday family, said he lived in “blind optimism” for four to five years as projects kept falling through. Despite setbacks, Ahaan maintained that he never became bitter and channelled his struggles into his performance.

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Keep ReadingShow less
Alison Balsom retirement

Alison Balsom prepares for her final bow at the Last Night Of The Proms 2025

Getty Images

Alison Balsom retirement confirmed as Proms star quits after saying trumpet career feels unsustainable with family life

Highlights:

  • Trumpeter Alison Balsom confirms retirement after 40 years of performing
  • Her final concert will be the Last Night of the Proms 2025 on 13 September
  • She will play the Hummel Trumpet Concerto in E flat major for her farewell
  • The 46-year-old OBE winner cites family and intensity of touring as reasons

Classical trumpeter Alison Balsom retirement news has been confirmed, with the British musician set to step away from performing after one last appearance at the Last Night of the Proms. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s This Cultural Life, she revealed her “last night on stage” will be marked by playing the Hummel Trumpet Concerto, a work she has championed throughout her career. Married to filmmaker Sir Sam Mendes, Balsom said the decision was shaped by her family life and the unsustainable demands of constant touring.

Alison Balsom retirement Alison Balsom prepares for her final bow at the Last Night Of The Proms 2025 Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Highlights:

  • Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
  • Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
  • Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
  • Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes

Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.

The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art

Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Highlights:

  • Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
  • Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
  • Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
  • Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet

Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Keep ReadingShow less