Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Pakistan’s top court rules against lifetime bans from office

“The ruling goes in the favour of Nawaz Sharif, who will now be able to contest the elections, which will pave the way for his return to power,” analyst Zahid Hussain said

Pakistan’s top court rules against lifetime bans from office

Pakistan's supreme court ruled on Monday (8) that lifetime bans from office are unconstitutional, clearing the final obstacle in former prime minister Nawaz Sharif's path to running for re-election in polls in four weeks.

Pakistan will vote in elections on February 8, with rights groups warning the ballot will lack credibility as popular opposition leader Imran Khan has been jailed and barred from contesting.


Three-time prime minister Sharif - regarded as the favourite in Khan's absence - was last ousted by the supreme court in 2017, and a subsequent ruling saw him barred from office for life over graft.

He left jail for self-imposed exile in the UK in 2019, but returned to Pakistan in October and has seen the numerous legal cases plaguing him voided in quick succession.

Analysts say the 74-year-old is benefiting from a reformed relationship with the powerful military establishment, which has long dictated the politicians who hold high office.

On Monday, a supreme court ruling said it cannot enforce lifetime bans from office, because it "abridges the fundamental right of citizens to contest elections and vote for a candidate of their choice".

Nawaz's brother Shehbaz passed legislation in his tenure as prime minister last year dictating that bans from office be limited to five years.

Doubts had lingered that the move might clash with the decision barring Nawaz and numerous other politicians under a constitutional clause demanding they be "honest and righteous".

But the supreme court ruled the constitution does not dictate a disqualification period and backed the five-year ban legislated last year, saying it made exclusions subject to "the due process of law".

"The ruling goes in the favour of Nawaz Sharif, who will now be able to contest the elections, which will pave the way for his return to power," analyst Zahid Hussain said.

"These clauses of the constitution have been very ambiguous, but now with this ruling a sword hanging over the politicians has been removed."

Sharif is set to lead his Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) into the ballot, although campaigning has yet to kick off.

His opponent and former prime minister Khan, 71, has not been allowed to register his candidacy on the basis of his own graft conviction last year.

Khan was ousted by a parliamentary no-confidence vote in 2022 after souring relations with the military's top brass - historically the bane of elected leaders in Pakistan.

But he waged an unprecedented campaign of defiance, accusing them of conspiring with the United States to end his term and of plotting an assassination attempt which saw him wounded.

He has been jailed since August, buried under an avalanche of legal cases, while his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party has been largely dismantled by a crackdown.

Sharif - who has never completed a full term as prime minister - has always maintained his numerous corruption convictions were politically motivated.

Like Khan, he once blamed the military establishment for engineering them, but has tempered his anti-army rhetoric as his fortunes have transformed over the past months.

More For You

Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

Narendra Modi addresses the audience during the launch of Maruti Suzuki's new assembly line for the Suzuki e-Vitara, Maruti's first electric car, at the Hansalpur plant, some 80 km from Ahmedabad, in India's Gujarat state on August 26, 2025. (Photo by SAM PANTHAKY/AFP via Getty Images)

Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi heads overseas on Thursday (28) to meet the leaders of China, Japan and Russia, seeking to build closer diplomatic ties as New Delhi battles fallout from US president Donald Trump's escalating tariff offensive.

By drawing nearer to some of the world’s largest economies, including his first visit to China in seven years, Modi hopes to to boost support for his flagship "Make in India" initiative, mainly from Japan, as Trump's measures spur new partnerships.

Keep ReadingShow less
house-rent-iStock

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings. (Photo: iStock)

UK landlords could face new tax in autumn budget

THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

Keep ReadingShow less
 Lord Swraj Paul

Lord Paul's portrait inside the West Chapel

Eulogies offered at Lord Swraj Paul’s funeral

FAMILY and friends offered their final eulogies to Lord Swraj Paul at his funeral at Golders Green Crematorium in north London on Wednesday (27).

It had rained earlier in the morning, but by the time mourners emerged from the West Chapel after a simple and dignified 40-minute service, led by Dr MN Nandakumara, executive director of the Bhavan in West Kensington, the sun had come out.

Keep ReadingShow less
H1B programme

US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Trump team plans changes to student visas, H1B programme and Green Card process

Highlights:

  • DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
  • F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
  • Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
  • Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil

THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less
Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less