Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Death toll rises to 10 as protesters clash with Pakistan police

Death toll rises to 10 as protesters clash with Pakistan police

Death toll rises to 10 as protesters clash with Pakistan police

SIX people died on Saturday (23), taking the death toll to 10 in clashes between the police and radical Islamists in Lahore, as the banned Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) began a procession to Islamabad seeking the release of their party chief Saad Hussain Rizvi and expulsion of the French Ambassador over blasphemous caricatures.


Among the dead are three policemen and seven TLP workers.

The Punjab chief minister's office confirmed the death of a policeman on Saturday (23), while the TLP claimed that five workers were killed by the police during the protest in Lahore.

A day earlier, two policemen and as many Islamists lost their lives during the violent clashes in the city.

"A total of seven TLP activists have been killed by direct firing of police and over 700 suffered injuries in Lahore so far," TLP official Ibn-i-Ismail said. He said the condition of many injured workers was critical.

On Saturday (23), police along with Rangers had clashes with TLP workers at Rana Town, outskirts of Lahore.

"Shahdara and adjoining areas turned into battlefields. Police fired teargas shells to disperse the protesters who in return pelted the law enforcers with stones. Many TLP workers carrying clubs appeared to be fighting back when the riot police tried to disperse them," a source in Lahore police said.

He said the Rangers remained behind the police force and did not take part directly in dispersing the protesters.

"As the protesters were carrying some bodies of those who lost their lives during the protest and insisting to bury them in Islamabad, the law enforcers were ordered from the top (senior officials) to allow them to leave Lahore," he said.

The source said the number of TLP workers who "are allowed to leave Lahore" was around 8,000.

"The Islamists are heading to the capital on buses, cars, motorcycles, on foot and even on a couple of police vans they have snatched (from law enforcers) during the clashes," he said.

Lahore on the second consecutive day remained cut off from the rest of the country as the law enforcement agencies placed blockade containers at all its entry and exit points.

Internet and mobile service in most areas of the city also remained suspended.

In a statement, Punjab chief minister Usman Buzdar said: “Three policemen were killed during the violent clashes with TLP protesters. We salute their sacrifice. Strict action will be taken against those involved in the killing of the cops," he said and directed the health authorities to provide best facilities to the policemen injured in the clashes.

Meanwhile, interior minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed, who was in Dubai, UAE, to watch Pakistan compete in the T20 Cricket Men's World Cup on Sunday (24), rushed back home on prime minister Imran Khan's directive.

"Rashid and two other provincial ministers are holding talks with a delegation of the TLP in Lahore," a Punjab government official said.

He said the talks are underway and the government is expecting a breakthrough shortly. From the TLP side, Mufti Wazir Ali, Ghulam Abbas Faizi and Mufti Umair are talking to the government.

During the clampdown, police reportedly arrested more than 2,000 TLP activists.

Those arrested have been booked under terrorism, kidnapping, blocking roads, hooliganism and other charges.

As the mainstream broadcast media did not cover the TLP protest and its clashes with police, various videos of police firing tear gas shells at the protesters, containers on different places and Islamists marching towards Islamabad were posted on social media.

As the Islamists were heading towards Faizabad Interchange Islamabad (a junction between the Islamabad Highway and interior of the capital) to stage the sit-in, the government installed containers there as well. Rawalpindi police blocked almost the entire city by placing containers on roads. Rawalpindi falls on the route to Islamabad from Lahore connected by National Highway 5.

TLP leader Pir Ajmal Qadri had earlier declared that a peaceful procession would begin after Friday(22) prayers.

“If any hurdles are created, the party also has a plan B to thwart any official attempts," he had declared.

Qadri declared: “The mission of the group's founder, the late Khadim Hussain Rizvi, will continue even if we are martyred in the march. We will not end our protest till the government implements the agreement with us” regarding severing diplomatic and economic ties with France."

Khadim Rizvi's son Saad Hussain Rizvi has been detained by the Punjab government since April last under the maintenance of 'public order' following the TLP's protest against the caricatures of Prophet Muhammad published in France and its demand that the French ambassador be sent back and import of goods from that country banned.

Subsequently, the TLP agreed to call off protests across the country on the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf government's assurance that it would present a resolution on the expulsion of the French ambassador in the National Assembly.

However, the government had called the NA session to debate the French envoy's expulsion and before a vote could take place on the resolution, the speaker announced the formation of a special committee to discuss the matter and asked the government and the opposition to engage with each other to develop consensus on the issue. No meeting of this special committee has been held since April.

Meanwhile, a hearing on the detention of Saad Rizvi could not be held before a federal review board on Saturday (23) as the authorities did not present him due to security reasons.

The board comprising three judges of the Supreme Court was scheduled to hear the case of the government in Islamabad through a video link from the Lahore registry. However, the government officials did not bring Rizvi to the registry due to the law and order situation in the city.

(PTI)

More For You

 Ishaq Dar

Pakistan's foreign minister Ishaq Dar said Pakistan had not requested any mediation in its talks with India, but was offered a meeting at a neutral venue. (Photo: Getty Images)

Pakistan seeks Kashmir and terrorism talks with India

PAKISTAN is ready for a “comprehensive dialogue with India” to discuss Kashmir and other issues, foreign minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday (22).

Dar, who also holds the portfolio of the deputy prime minister, said Pakistan was clear from the outset that discussions with India would not take place on any single-point agenda.

Keep ReadingShow less
Farage-Getty

Farage said he would end the right to claim asylum or challenge deportation for people arriving this way by replacing current human rights laws and withdrawing Britain from refugee treaties. (Photo: Getty Images)

Farage outlines plan for ‘mass deportation’ of asylum seekers

NIGEL FARAGE has set out plans for "mass deportations" of migrants who cross the English Channel on small boats if his Reform UK party comes to power.

Speaking to The Times on Saturday (August 23), the former Brexit campaigner said he would withdraw Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights and make agreements with Afghanistan, Eritrea and other main countries of origin to repatriate illegal migrants.

Keep ReadingShow less
Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

A TOURIST bus travelling from Niagara Falls to New York city overturned on a highway near Buffalo on Friday (22), killing five people and injuring dozens of others. Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines and Middle Eastern countries.

The crash took place at about 12.30pm local time on the New York state Thruway near the town of Pembroke, around 40 kilometres east of Buffalo. The bus, which was carrying 54 passengers, rolled into a ditch after the driver lost control.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ciara Watkin sexual assault case

Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status

Instagram/ Terry Blackburn

UK trans woman Ciara Watkin guilty of sexual assault after failing to reveal transgender status

Highlights:

  • A 21-year-old transgender woman has been convicted of sexual assault in northeast England.
  • Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status before engaging in sexual activity with a male partner.
  • The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the man could not give informed consent.
  • Watkin was found guilty on three charges at Teesside Crown Court.
  • Sentencing is scheduled for 10 October.

A transgender woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a male partner after failing to disclose her gender status before sexual activity. Prosecutors argued that the man could not give informed consent, and the case has been described as having a significant impact on his mental wellbeing.

The case

Ciara Watkin, 21, from Stockton-on-Tees, met the man, also 21, on Snapchat in June 2022. She later engaged in sexual activity with him without revealing her gender status. During their first encounter, she told him she was on her period and could not be touched below the waist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Niagara Falls

Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines

Getty Images

Horror crash near Niagara Falls leaves 5 dead, dozens injured

Highlights:

  • A tourist bus returning from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York.
  • Five people died and dozens were injured; passengers were mainly from India, China and the Philippines.
  • Authorities ruled out mechanical failure and driver impairment as causes.
  • Survivors included children, with patients taken to multiple hospitals.
  • Emergency blood donations and family support centres have been set up.

Five people have been killed after a tourist bus carrying passengers from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York. Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines, with several children among them.

The crash

The vehicle lost control around 40 miles (64km) from Niagara Falls, near Pembroke, 30 miles (48km) east of Buffalo. Police said the bus veered into the median before landing in a ditch. Some passengers were thrown from the vehicle while others were trapped inside the wreckage for several hours.

Keep ReadingShow less