Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Child citizenship fee ruled unlawful as activists claim "fight goes on"

by LAUREN CODLING

A £1,000 Home Office fee for children to register as British citizens was yesterday (12) ruled unlawful by the High Court, as activist groups claimed the “fight for justice goes on”.


The costs “failed to have regard to the best interests” of children affected, a judge ruled as the court heard the charges left them feeling “alienated, excluded, ‘second-best’, insecure and not fully assimilated into the culture and social fabric of the UK.”

Children born outside the UK, and those born in the UK before their parents were granted citizenship or settled status, were required to pay the £1,012 in order to register their statutory right to British citizenship. The costs have risen steadily since 2011, with the last increase occurring in April 2018 when it increased from £973 to the current fee.

Currently, the home office makes approximately £640 profit from every child application it receives – which it claimed is used to cross-subsidise the immigration system. The administrative processing cost of a child’s registration claim is £372.

According to campaign group Project for the Registration of Children as British Citizens (PRCBC), who brought the case to court along with two other claimants affected by the fees, tens of thousands of children were affected by the costs. The judgment will require the Home Office to reconsider the fees and ensure that children’s best interest are taken into consideration while doing so.

Carol Bohmer, chair of PRCBC said in spite of the “landmark” ruling, the “fight for justice for children born and growing up in the UK goes on”.

“The damage done to thousands of children is dreadful and still far from fully quantifiable,” she said. “So much more still needs to be done so that children, their parents and carers, know their citizenship rights and to ensure the many barriers to exercising these rights are removed, including this profit-making fee.”

A young claimant, known only as O, said they felt excluded from the UK due to the home office charges. “I want to be able to do all the things my friends can,” O, who was born in the UK, said. “I don’t want to have to worry they will find out I don’t have a British passport and think that means I am not the same as them.”

In response to Eastern Eye, Labour’s shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said a “reasonable” government would either reduce the charges or abolish them completely. “It’s completely unjustifiable to charge these huge sums to children who have a right to citizenship,” she said. “The government is effectively taxing people’s rights away, sometimes the poorest or most vulnerable.”

Campaigner Aditi Bhardwaj, who is a former protest organiser of campaign group Highly Skilled Migrants, said she personally knew families whose children had been affected by the fees. Some have lived in the UK for more than a decade but had been unable to register for citizenship due to their parents financial situation.

“This is a shame because we could potentially have another Windrush scandal a few years down the line,” Bhardwaj, who is currently working for NLS Solicitors, warned. She has recommended that there be a “sensible fee structure”, including the implementation of a fee waiver.

“They should really look for the best interest of the child and not how to fund other parts of their department,” she said.

Following the ruling, a Home Office spokesman said: “We note the court's judgment and will consider its implications carefully.”

More For You

 Ishaq Dar

Pakistan's foreign minister Ishaq Dar said Pakistan had not requested any mediation in its talks with India, but was offered a meeting at a neutral venue. (Photo: Getty Images)

Pakistan seeks Kashmir and terrorism talks with India

PAKISTAN is ready for a “comprehensive dialogue with India” to discuss Kashmir and other issues, foreign minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday (22).

Dar, who also holds the portfolio of the deputy prime minister, said Pakistan was clear from the outset that discussions with India would not take place on any single-point agenda.

Keep ReadingShow less
Farage-Getty

Farage said he would end the right to claim asylum or challenge deportation for people arriving this way by replacing current human rights laws and withdrawing Britain from refugee treaties. (Photo: Getty Images)

Farage outlines plan for ‘mass deportation’ of asylum seekers

NIGEL FARAGE has set out plans for "mass deportations" of migrants who cross the English Channel on small boats if his Reform UK party comes to power.

Speaking to The Times on Saturday (August 23), the former Brexit campaigner said he would withdraw Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights and make agreements with Afghanistan, Eritrea and other main countries of origin to repatriate illegal migrants.

Keep ReadingShow less
Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

A TOURIST bus travelling from Niagara Falls to New York city overturned on a highway near Buffalo on Friday (22), killing five people and injuring dozens of others. Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines and Middle Eastern countries.

The crash took place at about 12.30pm local time on the New York state Thruway near the town of Pembroke, around 40 kilometres east of Buffalo. The bus, which was carrying 54 passengers, rolled into a ditch after the driver lost control.

Keep ReadingShow less
Niagara Falls

Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines

Getty Images

Horror crash near Niagara Falls leaves 5 dead, dozens injured

Highlights:

  • A tourist bus returning from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York.
  • Five people died and dozens were injured; passengers were mainly from India, China and the Philippines.
  • Authorities ruled out mechanical failure and driver impairment as causes.
  • Survivors included children, with patients taken to multiple hospitals.
  • Emergency blood donations and family support centres have been set up.

Five people have been killed after a tourist bus carrying passengers from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York. Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines, with several children among them.

The crash

The vehicle lost control around 40 miles (64km) from Niagara Falls, near Pembroke, 30 miles (48km) east of Buffalo. Police said the bus veered into the median before landing in a ditch. Some passengers were thrown from the vehicle while others were trapped inside the wreckage for several hours.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

Sergio Gor. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images)

Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

US president Donald Trump said on Friday (22) he would nominate Sergio Gor, one of his closest aides, to be the next US ambassador to India, where he will oversee frosty relations that have worsened with the planned doubling of US tariffs on goods from India next week.

Gor, who is currently the director of the White House Presidential Personnel Office, would also serve as a special envoy for South and Central Asian affairs, Trump said.

Keep ReadingShow less