Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK's Sunak plans tax cuts to boost Covid-19 recovery: report

BRITISH finance minister Rishi Sunak will try to restart the country's economy by giving homebuyers a tax break and cutting value-added tax for pubs, restaurants and other hospitality firms, The Times newspaper reported.

Sunak is due to announce on Wednesday (8) the next stage of his attempt to steer the world's fifth-biggest economy away from its 25 per cent collapse in March and April, when the government's coronavirus lockdown shut entire sectors.


Sunak's plan is expected to focus on measures to limit a rise in unemployment -- including help for job-seekers and trainees -- but the measures reported by The Times suggest he also sees a need to boost demand with tax cuts.

Sunak will say he will raise the property tax threshold to as high as £500,000 pounds ($623,700), four times its current level. That would exempt most homebuyers from paying any stamp duty for up to a year, the newspaper reported.

The tax break would be implemented in an official budget statement in the autumn, it said.

Sunak will also announce a temporary VAT cut for hospitality firms to protect 2.4 million jobs in the sector, which began to reopen on July 4, it further said.

The Observer reported on Sunday that Sunak was considering a different option -- handing out vouchers of £500 ($625) for adults, and £250 pounds for children, to spend in sectors hit hardest by the lockdown.

Sunak has already rushed out emergency measures that will cost an estimated £133 billion this year to head off a surge in unemployment, chief among them a job-retention plan that pays furloughed workers 80 per cent of their salary.

That plan is due to expire at the end of October, raising fears of a jump in unemployment.

Rishi Sunak has unveiled a £1.57 billion rescue package of emergency grants and cheap loans for arts, culture and heritage industries. Thousands of organisations in the performing arts and theatres, heritage, historic palaces, museums, galleries, live music and independent cinema will get the funding.

“Our world-renowned galleries, museums, heritage sites, music venues and independent cinemas are not only critical to keeping our economy thriving, employing more than 700,000 people, they're the lifeblood of British culture,” said Sunak.

The Department for culture, media and sport said the new package represents the “biggest ever one-off investment in UK culture” and will provide a lifeline to vital cultural and heritage organisations across the country hit hard by the pandemic.

The new package will be available across the country, including £33 million to Northern Ireland, £97 million to Scotland and £59 million to Wales.

“Our arts and culture are the soul of our nation. They make our country great and are the lynchpin of our world-beating and fast growing creative industries,” said UK culture secretary Oliver Dowden.

Of the total sum, £1.15 billion support will go for cultural organisations in England delivered through a mix of grants and loans, made up of £270 million of repayable finance and £880 million. Targeted support of £100 million will go for the national cultural institutions in England and the English Heritage Trust.

Capital investment of £120 million will be available to restart construction on cultural infrastructure and for heritage construction projects in England, which was paused due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Last week, several companies announced major job cuts, including travel food group SSP, which said it could cut about 5,000 staff.

A Bank of England survey published on July 2 showed companies expected an average 11 per cent drop in employment for the third and fourth quarters of 2020.

Sunak's spending push and a plunge in tax revenues are expected to create budget deficit that could hit 15 per cent of economic output, levels not seen since World War Two.

The finance ministry declined to comment on the reports in The Times and the Guardian.

Over the weekend, the ministry said Sunak would announce the largest-ever increase in traineeships and double the number of its job coaches.

More For You

Sanjeev Gupta steel plants

Sanjeev Gupta. (Photo: DENIS CHARLET/AFP/Getty Images).

getty images

Government to take over Sanjeev Gupta’s steel plants to protect jobs

THE government is preparing to take control of Liberty Steel’s South Yorkshire factories if their owner, businessman Sanjeev Gupta, fails to secure a last-minute rescue deal.

The move could save around 1,500 jobs at Speciality Steel UK, which includes steelworks in Rotherham and Stocksbridge.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tesco

Clubcard members now pay £3.85 (up from £3.60)

Getty Images

Tesco meal deals get pricier as shoppers threaten boycott over latest hike

Highlights:

  • Tesco has increased the price of its meal deal, sparking shopper anger.
  • Clubcard members now pay £3.85 (up from £3.60), while non-members pay £4.25 (up from £4).
  • Premium meal deals also rise, costing up to £6 without a Clubcard.
  • Some shoppers threaten a boycott, while others argue the deal still offers value.

Tesco raises meal deal prices

Tesco has announced a price hike on its popular meal deals, prompting criticism from shoppers and even boycott threats.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mo Chaudry

Looking ahead, Chaudry said: 'Our core strategy is centred on gyms, fitness, and wellness. Through our premium health club brand M Club and our affordable fitness chain igym, we will continue expanding across the UK.'

Mo Chaudry confirms sale of Waterworld to Looping Group in multi-million pound deal

WATERWORLD Aqua Park has been sold to European leisure operator the Looping Group in a multi-million pound deal.

The sale takes M Investment Group’s net assets beyond £110 million, with overall shareholder value now exceeding £170 million.

Keep ReadingShow less
India's Aurobindo clarifies Zentiva buyout reports as ‘premature’

FILE PHOTO: A pharmacist shows a box of Prednisolone by Zentiva in Brest, western France. -(FRED TANNEAU/AFP via Getty Images)

India's Aurobindo clarifies Zentiva buyout reports as ‘premature’

INDIA's Aurobindo Pharma on Wednesday (20) dismissed media reports suggesting it had finalised a deal to acquire Czech drugmaker Zentiva, calling the claims “premature” and added that no binding agreement has been signed.

The clarification came after The Economic Times reported that Aurobindo was the frontrunner to acquire Zentiva from US-based private equity firm Advent International in a deal valued between $5 billion and $5.5bn (around £3.95bn to £4.35bn). If confirmed, this would be the largest-ever overseas acquisition by an Indian pharmaceutical company.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK grocery inflation eases to 5 per cent in August

Britain’s food retailers have said that higher employer taxes and regulatory costs as well as increased staff wages are adding to inflationary pressure

iStock

UK grocery inflation eases to 5 per cent in August

British grocery inflation nudged down to stand at five per cent over the four weeks to 10 August, data from market researcher Worldpanel by Numerator showed on Tuesday (19), providing a little relief for consumers.

The figure, the most up-to-date snapshot of UK food inflation, compared with 5.2 per cent in last month’s report.

Keep ReadingShow less