This aerial view taken on July 15, 2021, shows rescue personnel working on site after a fire gutted the Springfiled Park, at Mobeni, south of Durban. – The businesses were hit by looters on July 13, despite the troops President Cyril Ramaphosa deployed to try to quell unrest. As pillaging erupted in the economic capital of Johannesburg and the southeastern province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa’s main opposition accused radicals of stoking the unrest. (Photo by STRINGER/AFP via Getty Images)
SOUTH AFRICAN government will spend an additional amount of $67.4 million (£48.3m) to beef up security after the deadly unrest earlier this month played havoc and caused loss of life and property.
Treasury allocated an additional 250m rand (£12.3m) to the police and 750m rand (£36.8m) to the military, finance minister Tito Mboweni told media.
President Cyril Ramaphosa deployed 25,000 soldiers to provide reinforcement to police overwhelmed in the wake of widespread looting and violence.
The unrest and protests broke out a day after the former president Jacob Zuma, 79, started serving a 15-month jail term on July 8. It erupted in KwaZulu-Natal and later spread to Johannesburg, the economic capital.
On June 29, Zuma was sentenced for failing to appear at the corruption inquiry led by deputy chief justice Raymond Zondo in February.
The violence left at least 330 people dead and resulted in an estimated $3.4 billion (£2.4bn) in damage and looted stock.
Mboweni condemned the violence, saying “it is us in the community who must take responsibility for the safety and security of our assets.”
The government said earlier it is clamping down on the alleged plotters of the unrest with some suspects arrested.