Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Troops begin withdrawal as India and China agree deal

Delhi cautions about easing curbs despite 'significant' Modi-Xi meeting, says official

Troops begin withdrawal as India and China agree deal
Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping with officials during talks in Kazan last week

INDIA and China began implementing an agreement to end a military standoff on the Himalayan border, both countries said last Friday (25), in the biggest thaw between the neighbours since deadly clashes between their armies four years ago.

Troops who were eyeball-to-eyeball at two points on the frontier in India’s Ladakh region in the western Himalayas had begun pulling back, an Indian government source said, heralding an end to the stand-off.


The process began last Wednesday (24) and was expected to conclude by the end of the month, a senior Indian army official said.

India and China struck a deal last week on patrolling the frontier, which then paved the way for the first formal talks in five years between president Xi Jinping and prime minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the recently concluded BRICS summit in Russia.

“According to the recently agreed solution between India and China ... their frontline armies are implementing relevant work, with smooth progress so far,” Lin Jian, a spokesperson for China’s foreign ministry said.

In New Delhi, a government official who was aware of the details said troops on both sides had started withdrawing from the areas of Depsang and Demchok, the last remaining points where they had stood face-to-face.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media on the issue.

The Indian army official said the returning troops would also remove structures such as huts and tents and take back vehicles they had brought to positions that existed before the conflict began in April 2020.

The two forces can then resume patrolling along the frontier as they did before the stand-off, the official added.

India’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Neither side has made public details of the new pact.

It is expected to help improve political and business ties damaged by a deadly military clash in 2020, when 20 Indian and four Chinese troops died in clashes in the Galwan Valley.

The two sides had earlier pulled back troops from five other face-off points, but the last such withdrawal took place over two years ago.

Xi and Modi agreed last Wednesday to boost communication and co-operation in a bid to help resolve conflict.

Development is now the biggest shared goal of China and India, Xi said, after the leaders met in Kazan last week, their first in five years.

“Both sides were of the view that this meeting is constructive and carries great significance,” Lin said.

“They agreed to view and handle China-India relations from a strategic height and long-term perspective, prevent specific disagreements from affecting the overall relationship, and contribute to maintaining regional and global peace and prosperity and to advancing multiplicity in the world,” he added.

But officials in India said New Delhi would still be cautious and is ready to only take baby steps towards boosting economic ties with Beijing, given the trust deficit of the last four years.

India had severed direct air links with China, banned hundreds of Chinese mobile applications, and added layers of vetting on Chinese investments.

The two sides were set to resume patrolling in the Ladakh region as they did before the deadly military stand-off in 2020

Two Indian government sources said the country would now consider opening up the skies and fast tracking visa approvals to complement the recent easing of tensions, but New Delhi is not yet ready to reverse all the steps it took against Beijing any time soon.

India last week also imposed antidumping duty on five Chinese goods for five years to guard domestic players from cheap imports from Beijing.

The two countries went to war in 1962 over their undemarcated border, which has been a constant irritant in their bilateral ties.

More For You

India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rajitha Senaratne arrested

Security officers escort Sri Lankan former fisheries minister, Rajitha Senaratne (C), outside a court in Colombo on August 29, 2025. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Getty Images

Rajitha Senaratne detained as Sri Lanka intensifies anti-corruption drive

SRI LANKAN former government minister surrendered himself to a court on Friday (29) after two months on the run, the latest high profile detention in a sweeping anti-corruption crackdown.

Anti-graft units have ramped up their investigations since president Anura Kumara Dissanayake came to power in September on a promise to fight corruption.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty
Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)
Getty Images

Government wins appeal over housing asylum seekers in hotel

Highlights:

  • UK appeals court overturns ruling blocking hotel use for asylum seekers
  • Judges call earlier High Court decision “seriously flawed”
  • 138 asylum seekers will not need to be relocated by September 12
  • Full hearing scheduled at the Court of Appeal in October

A UK appeals court has overturned a lower court order that had temporarily blocked the use of a hotel in Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum seekers.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK migrant tutor posts

Seema Malhotra (Photo: Getty Images)

Government scraps tutor posts for detained migrants after backlash

HOME OFFICE minister Seema Malhotra has ordered the removal of UK government job advertisements for roles such as a balloon craft tutor, which were being offered to migrants held at a detention centre in London.

The intervention followed a report in The Sun newspaper highlighting job listings worth over £30,000 a year at the Heathrow Immigration Removal Centre (HIRC).

Keep ReadingShow less
Mumbai-Reuters
A drone view of the construction work of the upcoming coastal road in Mumbai, India. (Photo credit: Reuters)
Reuters

India’s economy grows faster than expected as US tariffs pose risk

Highlights:

  • India’s GDP grew 7.8 per cent in April-June, beating forecasts of 6.7 per cent.
  • US has double tariffs on Indian imports to 50 per cent, raising export concerns.
  • Consumer spending rose 7.0 per cent year-on-year, driven by rural demand..

INDIA’s economy expanded faster than expected in the April-June quarter, even as higher US tariffs on Indian imports are set to weigh on activity in the coming months.

Keep ReadingShow less