Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Australian Open: Sinner kicks off title defence

Novak Djokovic begins his quest for a record-extending 25th major.

Australian Open: Sinner kicks off title defence

Jannik Sinner (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images)

THE first round of the Australian Open continues on Monday (13) at Melbourne Park where top seed and defending champion Jannik Sinner seeks a third Grand Slam title while Novak Djokovic begins his quest for a record-extending 25th major.

World number one Sinner is playing under the cloud of a potential two-year ban due to his doping case while 37-year-old Djokovic, a 10-times champion in Melbourne, returns to his favourite hunting ground as the seventh seed.


Carlos Alcaraz and Iga Swiatek are also in action while four Australians, including Nick Kyrgios, will get their chance to shine on the showcourts.

Kyrgios returns to Grand Slam action for the first time in two years when the Australian takes on Briton Jacob Fearnley.

Kyrgios has been sidelined due to knee, foot and wrist problems and he returns to his home Slam as an unranked player, still struggling with an abdominal strain and 'niggles' that forced him to pull out of an exhibition event.

The 29-year-old spent some time in the broadcast booth during his break from the game but he is confident tennis has not left him behind.

"People are always going to say, 'Be realistic, you're not going to be the same'. I unfortunately don't have that mindset. I always have utmost confidence in my ability," said Kyrgios, whose best result in Melbourne was a quarter-final run in 2015.

"If I'm playing my style of tennis, my unpredictability, I have a chance against anyone."

The Australian Open marks Fearnley's second main draw appearance at a Grand Slam but he made his mark at his first at Wimbledon last year, winning his opening round match and then taking a set off Djokovic on centre court.

American third seed Gauff begins her campaign against compatriot and 2020 champion Kenin, whose career has nosedived since reaching a career-high number four in the world.

Kenin fell outside the top 200 due to a poor run of form and injuries before slowly making her way back into the top 100.

However, Gauff is still wary of the 26-year-old, who beat her en route to the 2020 title and holds a career 2-1 record over her.

"I lost to her at Wimbledon (in 2023). She's obviously a great player, she won this tournament," Gauff told reporters.

"I think she's a great mover, has great groundstrokes, pretty steady player, can play aggressive, also play really good defence. It's going to be a tough match ... I think it's good for me, though."

Japan's twice Australian Open champion Naomi Osaka faces Caroline Garcia in a repeat of last year's first-round match where the Frenchwoman advanced after a straight-sets win.

"New year, same draw... This is starting to be a classic," Garcia said on X, while Osaka thought her agent was joking when she was informed of the first-round match-up.

Osaka is not at 100 per cent after pulling out of her first WTA Tour final in almost three years in Auckland and the 27-year-old said the results of a scan on an abdominal injury were not "fantastic".

(Reuters)

More For You

India and England unveil Women’s World Cup squads with shock calls

Harmanpreet Kaur

India and England unveil Women’s World Cup squads with shock calls

INDIA and England have named their squads for the upcoming Women’s World Cup, with several surprise selections and omissions, highlighting the competitive nature of the tournament.

India’s squad announcement brought disappointment for explosive opener Shafali Verma, who was left out after a poor run of form. The 21-year-old, who last played a oneday international in October 2024, has managed just one half-century in six innings for India A.

Keep ReadingShow less
​Gukesh

Gukesh, as the reigning world champion, is not in the Candidates race, and his participation will be for prize money and rating points.

Getty Images

Chess World Cup 2025 to be held in Goa

GOA will host the Chess World Cup from October 30 to November 27. The FIDE World Cup 2025 carries a prize fund of USD 2 million and offers three qualifying spots for next year’s Candidates tournament.

The 206-player field includes world champion D Gukesh, Magnus Carlsen, Fabiano Caruana and R Praggnanandhaa. However, Gukesh, as the reigning world champion, is not in the Candidates race, and his participation will be for prize money and rating points.

Keep ReadingShow less
CWG-2010-Getty

India hosted the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. (Photo credit: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Modi cabinet clears Ahmedabad bid for Commonwealth Games 2030

INDIA on Wednesday said Ahmedabad would be an "ideal" venue for the 2030 Commonwealth Games, as the country seeks to strengthen its case to host the 2036 Olympics.

Ahmedabad, the main city in prime minister Narendra Modi's home state Gujarat, has a 130,000-capacity stadium, the largest cricket arena in the world, named after him.

Keep ReadingShow less
Indian football

If suspended, India’s national teams and clubs would not be allowed to compete in international competitions. (Photo: Getty Images)

India risks FIFA ban again as AIFF constitution deadline looms

INDIA could face a ban from world football for the second time in three years after FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) warned the All India Football Federation (AIFF) to adopt a new constitution by October 30.

FIFA and the AFC sent a joint letter to AIFF president Kalyan Chaubey, expressing concern over the delay in finalising and adopting the constitution.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dream11-BCCI-Getty

Dream11 originally signed the three-year agreement in July 2023, taking over as jersey sponsor in a deal worth £31m. T

getty images

Dream11 pulls out as Indian cricket sponsor after gambling ban

INDIAN cricket faces a scramble to find a new main sponsor after Dream11 pulled out of its three-year partnership worth £33 million ($43.6m) following the government's sweeping ban on online gambling platforms.

Representatives from Dream11, India's biggest fantasy sports platform, visited the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters on Monday (25) to inform chief executive Hemang Amin they could no longer continue the sponsorship deal. The company's logo currently appears on jerseys worn by both the men's and women's national teams.

Keep ReadingShow less