Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sri Lanka declares national holiday to combat coronavirus

SRI Lanka declared a 3-day holiday on Tuesday (17) till March 19 to minimise public interactions in curbing spread of COVID-19.

“This is applicable to all public and private entities except essential services. Please support the effort by staying home & practice social distancing,” said president Gotabaya Rajapaksa.


Sri Lanka so far has 29 confirmed coronavirus cases.

The Island-nation also suspended all international flights arriving in the country.

"A decision has been made to suspend all international flights arriving in the country with effect from 1500 hours on Tuesday due growing threat of the spread of the coronavirus,” said Rajapaksa.

Sri Lanka also decided to evacuate 300 pilgrims currently touring in India.

Although the state offices will remain closed, essential services such as food supplies and banks will continue to function, the government said.

“In order to minimise public gatherings, decision has been taken to curtail court proceedings except for emergency matters and the Prisons Dept has halted visiting prisoners by the public.All measures are being taken to minimise disruption to daily life while keeping citizens safe,” the president tweeted.

The doctors’ trade union has urged the president to order a complete lockdown of the country in order to facilitate the prevention operations.

The government also announced the appointment of Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva, who is the chief of the Army, to head the National Operations Center for Prevention of COVID-19.

The Army is already in charge of the quarantine Centers where the suspected cases are kept under observation.

More For You

Streeting

Streeting said he wanted all possible candidates to have the opportunity to take part, including Andy Burnham.

Getty Images

Wes Streeting enters race to challenge Keir Starmer

Highlights

  • Streeting says he will stand in any Labour leadership contest
  • Former health secretary calls for “a proper contest” after resigning
  • Andy Burnham preparing return to parliament through by-election
  • Starmer rejects calls to step down after Labour election losses

FORMER health secretary Wes Streeting said on Saturday that he would stand in any leadership contest to replace prime minister Keir Starmer, days after resigning from the government and urging Starmer to set a timetable for his departure.

Keep ReadingShow less