Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) today (11) said it has crossed the last year's Indian Premier League (IPL) viewership figures with 363.9 million viewers so far in just 32 matches.
Last year, the channel saw 361 million viewers for the entire 2016 tournament.
Sony Pictures Networks India is the official broadcaster of the IPL 2017.
"VIVO IPL 2017 continues to grow and has achieved a cumulative reach of 363.9 million in the fourth week of the tournament as compared to last year's reach of 314 million after 32 matches," SPN said in a statement.
So far the top performing markets are Maharashtra, AP/Telangana, Gujarat, Karnataka and West Bengal. Among metros, Mumbai and Delhi take the top spot.
The tournament enjoys higher engagement with 64 minutes average time spent per viewer vis-a-vis 53 minutes last year for 32 matches, SPN added.
Government appeals against injunction blocking asylum housing at Bell Hotel in Epping
More than 32,000 asylum seekers currently housed in UK hotels
Labour pledges to end hotel use for asylum seekers before 2029 election
THE UK government on Thursday asked the Court of Appeal to lift a ban on housing asylum seekers at a hotel that has faced protests, warning the order could set "a precedent".
The Home Office is seeking to overturn a high court injunction issued earlier this month that requires authorities to remove migrants from the Bell Hotel in Epping, northeast London, by September 12.
The decision was a setback for prime minister Keir Starmer's Labour government, which is already accommodating 32,345 asylum seekers in hotels across the UK as of the end of March.
Protests began in July outside the Bell Hotel after an asylum seeker staying there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl. Ethiopian national Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu has denied charges of sexual assault, attempted sexual assault, and harassment without violence.
Some of the protests turned violent and spread to other parts of the country. Epping Forest district council then took legal action against the ministry, arguing that the hotel had become a public safety risk and breached planning rules.
Other councils have suggested they may take similar steps, creating difficulties for the government, which is legally obliged under a 1999 law to house "all destitute asylum seekers whilst their asylum claims are being decided".
The Bell Hotel’s owner, Somani Hotels, and the Home Office argued that the site had previously housed asylum seekers between 2020-2021 and 2022-2024, and said the Epping protests were not linked to planning concerns.
Government official Becca Jones told the court that losing 152 spaces at the Bell Hotel would be "significant" for the limited accommodation pool.
"Granting the interim injunction ... risks setting a precedent which would have a serious impact on the secretary of state's ability to house vulnerable people," Jones said.
She added that the order could also encourage local councils looking to block asylum housing and "those who seek to target asylum accommodation in acts of public disorder."
Three senior Appeal Court judges said they would deliver their ruling at 2pm on Friday.
Nigel Farage, leader of Reform UK, said councils run by his party would also pursue legal action against asylum housing.
Since Keir Starmer took office in July 2024, more than 50,000 migrants have crossed from northern France to the UK in small boats, adding pressure on the government and fuelling criticism from far-right politicians.
Labour has pledged to end the use of hotels for asylum seekers before the next election, expected in 2029, to cut government spending.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
INDIA and England have named their squads for the upcoming Women’s World Cup, with several surprise selections and omissions, highlighting the competitive nature of the tournament.
India’s squad announcement brought disappointment for explosive opener Shafali Verma, who was left out after a poor run of form. The 21-year-old, who last played a oneday international in October 2024, has managed just one half-century in six innings for India A.
Women’s team chief selector Neetu David insisted the door remained open for Verma, saying: “She’s in the system, not like she’s not. We’ve got our eyes on her. Hope she plays a lot more and garners experience, it’ll help serve India in the 50-overs format.”
Captain Harmanpreet Kaur will lead the 15-member Indian squad as they seek their first World Cup title after reaching two previous finals. “We didn’t want to make a lot of changes, we wanted continuity,” said Kaur, who will be leading India in the World Cup for the first time.
Nat Sciver-Brunt
The selectors welcomed back medium-pace bowler Renuka Thakur after a lengthy injury lay-off, adding experience to an attack that will be crucial on home pitches. India’s campaign begins on September 30, and they will warm up with three ODI matches against Australia.
England’s squad features the return of former captain Heather Knight despite her not playing since damaging her hamstring in May. Current coach Charlotte Edwards expressed her delight at Knight’s inclusion, saying: “We are absolutely delighted to be able to select her. She’ll be a huge asset for us.”
However, experienced seamer Kate Cross has been left out as England adapt their strategy for subcontinental conditions. Edwards has included four specialist spinners – Sophie Ecclestone, Linsey Smith, Charlie Dean, and the returning Sarah Glenn – expecting plenty of turn on Indian and Sri Lankan pitches.
England enter the tournament seeking to end an eightyear drought since their last ODI World Cup triumph on home soil in 2017. They underperformed badly at last year’s T20 World Cup and will be eager to make amends. The announcements come as organisers scramble to relocate matches originally scheduled for Bengaluru in India following safety concerns at the city’s stadium.
The opening match between cohosts India and Sri Lanka will now take place in Guwahati instead of Bengaluru, after the International Cricket Council cited “unforeseen circumstances” for moving games away from Chinnaswamy Stadium. The venue change follows a tragic incident in June when 11 cricket fans died during celebrations for IPL champions Royal Challengers Bengaluru, with supporters as young as 14 crushed to death outside the stadium gates. A judicial commission subsequently deemed the ground “unsafe” to host large crowds.
The tournament faces logistical challenges beyond the Bengaluru venue change. Pakistan will play all their matches in Colombo as part of a compromise arrangement, while the final will now be held in either Mumbai or Colombo rather than the originally planned Bengaluru.
England squad: Nat Sciver-Brunt (CK), Em Arlott, Tammy Beaumont, Lauren Bell, Alice Capsey, Charlie Dean, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Lauren Filer, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones (wk), Heather Knight, Emma Lamb, Linsey Smith, Danni Wyatt-Hodge.
The 13th edition of the Women’s World Cup runs till November 2, with Mumbai now joining the list of Indian venues alongside Guwahati and other cities, plus Colombo in Sri Lanka.
WHEN broadcaster and journalist Naga Munchetty began speaking openly about her experiences with adenomyosis and debilitating menstrual pain, the response was overwhelming.
Emails and messages poured in from women who had endured years of dismissal, silence and shame when it came to their health. That outpouring became the driving force behind her new book, It’s Probably Nothing, which calls for women to be heard and to advocate for themselves in a medical system that has too often ignored them.
“For so long, so many women haven’t been listened to by the world of medicine,” Munchetty said. “I knew this from my own experience of not being given adequate pain relief, or waiting years for a diagnosis. My motivation was to help women and people who love women to advocate better for women’s health.”
The book blends Munchetty’s personal journey with the voices of other women who have faced similar struggles, alongside expert insights from medical professionals. Its purpose, she said, is clear: to empower people to fight for their health.
“We need to be unafraid of saying how we have been weakened by our symptoms,” the BBC presenter said.
“Too often, we try to keep afloat, keep our head above water, but we don’t want to seem weak. That needs to change.”
Munchetty’s candour is striking. She describes the shame of being told her excruciating periods were “just normal,” leaving her to feel weak and whiny for struggling.
“You might as well have told me people have heart attacks while I’m having a heart attack,” she said. “Debilitating pain is serious — it may not be lifelimiting, but it is life-impacting.”
Her determination to challenge that culture led to her giving evidence in parliament, contributing to what became a Women and Equalities Committee report, published in December 2024.
The report made headlines for its stark conclusion: medical misogyny exists.
For Munchetty, seeing that phrase in black and white was transformative. “It was almost self-affirming,” she said. “We now know it’s there, so we can challenge it. Women can say: I know my body, I know there’s not enough research, and I am entitled to push for answers.”
The parliamentary report went further than acknowledgement. It called for ring-fenced funding for women’s health hubs, better training for GPs, and greater investment in research into reproductive conditions like adenomyosis and endometriosis.
It highlighted how symptoms are routinely dismissed as “normal,” delaying diagnosis and disrupting women’s careers, education and daily lives. Munchetty wrote in her book — referencing the report — that medical misogyny is not about blaming individual doctors, but about challenging a system built on insufficient research into women’s bodies.
“It gives women the language and the confidence to not just be heard, but to insist on being taken seriously,” she wrote.
Her book also tackles the additional barriers faced by women from minority communities, who may be discouraged by stigma or embarrassment from speaking about menstruation or menopause. To them, Munchetty has a clear message: “You are so much more valuable than you realise. If you don’t prioritise your health, you are lessening your ability to hold up everyone around you.”
Those featured in the book are friends, colleagues, charities and everyday women who contributed their stories, many for the first time. “I was surprised at how many friends are in that book with such powerful experiences,” Munchetty said.
“It told me all the more that we’re not speaking about it, and that it is sadly so very common.”
At a launch event for the book, contributors, family and experts filled the room with what Munchetty describes as an “electric and inspiring atmosphere.”
She said, “It was full of joy, of women who felt safe to speak up and be heard. This is not a whiny book — it’s a positive book. People felt they were part of making things better, part of this women’s health revolution.”
For Munchetty, writing the book was exhausting, but transformative, she said.
“I never thought I’d be an author. I’m a journalist. But this is journalism — facilitating people’s stories to be told powerfully and truthfully. People trusted me, and I’m proud of that.”
And Munchetty’s aim is for the book to be a tool for change: arming women with the language, confidence and strategies to advocate for their health.
“It’s not easy to admit you need help, and it’s not instinctive for women to prioritise themselves,” she said. “But this book will help you do that. It’s the silent friend who has your back and gives you strength.”
It’s Probably Nothing - Critical Conversations on the Women’s Health Crisis is now available in all good bookshops
THREE former presidents of Sri Lanka expressed solidarity with jailed ex-leader Ranil Wickremesinghe last Sunday (24) and condemned his incarceration as a “calculated assault” on democracy.
The former political rivals of Wickremesinghe, who was president between July 2022 and September 2024, said the charges against him were frivolous and politically motivated.
Wickremesinghe has been accused of using $55,000 (£40,780) in state funds for a stopover in Britain while returning home after a G77 summit in Havana and the UN General Assembly in New York in September 2023.
The 76-year-old was rushed to the intensive care unit of the main staterun hospital in Colombo last Saturday (23), just a day after being remanded in custody. Doctors said he was suffering from severe dehydration on top of acute diabetes and long-standing high blood pressure.
“What we are witnessing is a calculated onslaught on the very essence of our democratic values,” former president Chandrika Kumaratunga, 80, said in a statement.
Her successor Mahinda Rajapaksa, 79, also expressed solidarity with Wickremesinghe and visited him in prison last Saturday, shortly before he was moved to intensive care.
Maithripala Sirisena, 73, who sacked Wickremesinghe from the prime minister’s post in October 2018 before being forced by the Supreme Court to reinstate him 52 days later, described the jailing as a witch hunt.
Wickremesinghe’s own United National Party (UNP) said last Saturday it believed he was being prosecuted out of fear that he could stage a comeback.
He lost the presidential election in September to Anura Kumara Dissanayake, the current head of state.
Wickremesinghe was arrested as part of Dissanayake’s campaign against endemic corruption in the country.
He has maintained that his wife’s travel expenses in Britain were met by her personally and that no state funds were used.
Keep ReadingShow less
Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift
NFL star Travis Kelce set to give Taylor Swift an unusual engagement present
His horse Swift Delivery lines up for a £2m (₹20.8 crore) race in Kentucky
The four-time winning horse is co-owned with Gary Barber and Team Valor International
Fans and racing circles are watching closely after the couple’s engagement announcement
American football star Travis Kelce's engagement news has sparked worldwide attention, but the Kansas City Chiefs tight end has another reason to celebrate. His racehorse, aptly named Swift Delivery, will run in the £2 million (₹20.8 crore) Mint Millions Invitational at Kentucky Downs next month. Coming just weeks after Kelce confirmed his engagement to pop superstar Taylor Swift, the timing has added to the buzz.
Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav
What is Travis Kelce’s horse Swift Delivery?
Kelce co-owns Swift Delivery with Hollywood producer Gary Barber, Team Valor International, and the Zoldan family. Trained by Canadian Hall of Famer Mark Casse, the four-year-old has already won four races, most recently the Grade 3 Seagram Cup at Woodbine this month. Ridden by jockey Patrick Husbands, the horse powered two lengths clear of Dresden Row, marking its most impressive performance yet.
Barry Irwin, founder of Team Valor International, revealed: “We’re pretty pumped about him. He’s a graded winner now and will tackle the Kentucky Downs mile next.”
Travis Kelce kisses Taylor Swift after defeating the San Francisco 49ers 25-22 in overtime during Super Bowl LVIII Getty Images
How much is the Mint Millions Invitational worth?
The Mint Millions Invitational, set for 6 September at Kentucky Downs, carries a staggering £2m (₹20.8 crore) prize fund, making it one of the richest turf races in America. It sits alongside other top contests such as the Grade 1 Franklin-Simpson Stakes on the same card.
A victory for Swift Delivery would not only be financially rewarding but would also add symbolic weight, as it coincides with Kelce’s personal milestone, his engagement to Swift. Many fans see the racehorse as an unusual but meaningful extension of their love story.
Travis Kelce celebrates his engagement to Taylor Swift while his horse Swift Delivery prepares for a £2m race in Kentucky Getty Images
Why is Travis Kelce linked to horse racing?
Kelce’s involvement in racing began when he joined Team Valor International syndicates earlier this year. The group has a strong track record, famously owning Animal Kingdom, the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner. Co-owner Gary Barber, a former MGM chief executive, also produced the Oscar-nominated Seabiscuit film, further connecting the group to racing and entertainment.
The Zoldan family, who run Phantom Fireworks, have partnered with Team Valor for nearly four decades, backing several champions across international turf. With such experienced partners, Kelce has quickly found himself part of a major operation.
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce pictured together at Amerant Bank Arena Getty Images
Will the engagement boost interest in the race?
The answer appears to be yes. When news of Kelce’s stake in Swift Delivery first broke, Irwin said it attracted unprecedented attention. “I grew up in Hollywood, I’m used to celebrities, but I’ve never seen anything like this, it’s on a different level,” he said.
Now that the Travis Kelce engagement is confirmed, both sporting and celebrity media are likely to follow the Kentucky Downs race closely. For Swifties, the idea of Kelce potentially gifting his fiancée a winning racehorse purse worth millions has become an irresistible storyline.