Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Missing British journalist’s wife issues tearful plea to find ‘love of my life’

Local Indigenous activists said the pair received threats last week for their work in the remote region, which has seen a surge of illegal logging, gold mining, poaching and drug trafficking

Missing British journalist’s wife issues tearful plea to find ‘love of my life’

RIGHTS groups and families of a British journalist and Brazilian Indigenous expert who went missing deep in the Amazon after receiving threats pleaded for authorities to accelerate the search operation.

Veteran freelance journalist Dom Phillips, 57, and respected Indigenous specialist Bruno Pereira, 41, went missing early Sunday (5) while travelling by boat in Brazil's Javari Valley, near the border with Peru, where Phillips was researching a book.


As the 48-hour mark passed, speculation swirled around whether they could have fallen victims to an accident or foul play.

As of Tuesday (7) night, authorities had no reports on their whereabouts but Amazonas state civil police said they were questioning a "suspect" and that four other people had testified as "witnesses," though no arrests were made.

Local Indigenous activists said the pair received threats last week for their work in the remote region, which has seen a surge of illegal logging, gold mining, poaching and drug trafficking.

Loved ones were holding out hope the pair would be found.

"I want to make an appeal to the government to intensify the search," Phillips's Brazilian wife, Alessandra Sampaio, said in a video message.

"We still have some small hope of finding them. Even if I don't find the love of my life alive, please find them," she said, choking back sobs.

The Brazilian government expressed its "grave concern," and said police were taking "all possible measures to find (the men) as quickly as possible."

But the authorities faced accusations of failing to act urgently enough.

The ministry of defense said in a statement that since Monday the army had deployed 150 soldiers who are "specialists in jungle environment operations, who know the terrain where the searches are being carried out."

But three Indigenous rights groups in the region earlier said in a joint statement that just six state police officers were actively working on the operation, and urged the government to deploy helicopters and a task force.

"The Brazilian government was very slow to act, in a situation where acting quickly is absolutely essential," the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Brazil office said in a statement.

Brazil's federal police later said they had deployed a second helicopter to aid the effort.

Bolsonaro response criticised

President Jair Bolsonaro drew criticism for appearing to blame the missing men, both of whom have extensive experience in the Amazon rainforest basin.

"Two people in a boat in a region like that, completely wild -- it's an unadvisable adventure. Anything can happen," Bolsonaro said.

"Maybe there was an accident, maybe they were executed."

The far-right president has faced accusations of fueling invasions of Indigenous lands in the Amazon with his pro-mining and pro-agribusiness policies.

Pereira, an expert currently on leave from Brazil's Indigenous affairs agency FUNAI, has spent much of his career fighting such invasions -- making him a target of frequent threats.

'Anguished' wait

The men's families urged the authorities to act fast.

"Time is a key factor in rescue operations, particularly if they are injured," Pereira's family said in a statement.

It said his partner, three children and other relatives were in "anguish."

Phillips's sister Sian posted a video message online, fighting back tears.

"We are really worried about him and urge the authorities in Brazil to do all they can," she said. "Every minute counts."

A group of about 40 reporters and friends of Phillips appealed to Brazilian authorities in a letter published in O Globo newspaper to expand the search effort.

In addition, 11 press organizations requested an emergency meeting with the justice minister and other high-level officials to get a progress report on the hunt.

Phillips, who is based in the city of Salvador, had previously accompanied Pereira in 2018 to the Javari Valley for a story in Britain's Guardian newspaper, where he was a regular contributor.

The 85,000-square-kilometer (33,000-square-mile) reservation is home to around 6,300 Indigenous people from 26 groups, including 19 with virtually no contact with the outside world.

FUNAI's base there, set up to protect Indigenous inhabitants, has come under attack several times in recent years.

In 2019, a FUNAI officer there was shot dead.

The region has seen a surge of illegal mining, logging and poaching in recent years, and its remoteness makes it a haven for drug traffickers, said Fiona Watson, research director at Indigenous rights group Survival International.

"You're talking about dense tropical forest," she said. "The operation to try and locate Bruno and Dom is immensely challenging."

(AFP)

More For You

Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar

Russian president Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar during a meeting in Moscow, Russia August 21, 2025. Sputnik/Sergei Karpukhin/Pool via REUTERS

India, Russia vow stronger trade ties despite US pressure

INDIA and Russia agreed to boost trade ties on Thursday (21) as their foreign ministers met in Moscow, giving little indication that US president Donald Trump's hefty tariffs on India for buying Russian oil would disrupt their relations.

Indian goods face additional US tariffs of up to 50 per cent, among the highest imposed by Washington, due to New Delhi's increased purchases of Russian oil.

Keep ReadingShow less
online-gaming-reuters

If approved, the law would impose fines or jail terms on individuals and companies providing online money gaming services. (Representational image: Getty)

getty images

India introduces bill to ban online gambling

INDIA's government on Wednesday introduced a bill in parliament seeking to ban online gambling, citing risks of addiction, financial losses, and possible links to money laundering and terrorism financing.

The proposed legislation could affect a multi-billion dollar sector that includes online poker, fantasy sports, and India’s popular fantasy cricket apps, some of which sponsor the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the national cricket team.

Keep ReadingShow less
Teen jailed for 10 years over Scottish mosque attack plot

The High Court in Glasgow sentenced him after he pleaded guilty to two charges of terrorism. (Photo: iStock)

Teen jailed for 10 years over Scottish mosque attack plot

A TEENAGER inspired by Adolf Hitler who planned to set fire to a Scottish mosque was sentenced on Thursday (21) to 10 years in custody.

Police arrested the 17-year-old in January carrying a military-style rucksack as he tried to gain entry to the building in Greenock, on the west coast of Scotland.

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer asylum claims

Keir Starmer attends the Service of Remembrance to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of VJ Day at the National Memorial Arboretum, in Alrewas, Staffordshire, Britain August 15, 2025. Anthony Devlin/Pool via REUTERS

getty images

Starmer under fire as asylum claims hit record high

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer faced renewed criticism over his immigration policies on Thursday (21) after new official figures showed asylum-seeker claims hitting a record high, with more migrants being housed in hotels compared with a year ago.

According to a regular tracker of voters' concerns, immigration has overtaken the economy as the biggest issue amid anger over the record numbers of asylum seekers arriving in small boats across the Channel, including more than 27,000 this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
GCSE results

Students queue to get their GCSE results at City Of London Magistrates Court on August 21, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

getty images

GCSE results show increase in top grades but decline in pass rates

HUNDREDS of thousands of teenagers received their GCSE results on Thursday, with figures showing a slight increase in top grades but a growing number of pupils failing English and maths.

Data from the Joint Council for Qualifications showed that 21.9 per cent of entries were awarded at least grade 7 or A, up from 21.8 per cent last year. The overall pass rate at grade 4 or C fell slightly to 67.4 per cent, compared with 67.6 per cent last year, though still above pre-pandemic levels.

Keep ReadingShow less