Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Marks and Spencer resumes online clothing orders after 46-day cyberattack disruption

Shares in the British retailer rose 3 per cent after it restarted standard home delivery in England, Scotland and Wales for most of its clothing range.

Marks and Spencer

M&S had initially disclosed on April 22 that it was managing a 'cyber incident'.

Reuters

MARKS AND SPENCER (M&S) resumed online clothing orders on Tuesday, 46 days after suspending services due to a cyberattack.

Shares in the British retailer rose 3 per cent after it restarted standard home delivery in England, Scotland and Wales for most of its clothing range.


"It's not the full range at the moment, we've focused on best sellers and newness," an M&S spokesperson said. "We'll be bringing product online everyday so customers will see that grow over the coming days."

M&S said delivery to Northern Ireland will resume in the "coming weeks", along with click and collect, next-day delivery, nominated-day delivery and international ordering.

The company had stopped taking clothing and home orders on April 25 through its website and app after technical issues affected contactless payments and click and collect services during the Easter holiday weekend.

M&S had initially disclosed on April 22 that it was managing a "cyber incident".

Last month, the retailer said it expected online disruptions to continue into July and projected the cyberattack would lead to a loss of around 300 million pounds in operating profit in its 2025/26 financial year. It said it hopes to reduce the impact by half through insurance claims and cost controls.

The company said hackers accessed its systems by deceiving employees at a third-party contractor, bypassing its digital defences to carry out the attack.

(With inputs from agencies)

More For You

Asda sales plunge, chair blames government of low confidence

The supermarket struggled with technology issues during a lengthy effort to separate IT systems from former owner Walmart.

iStock

Asda reports sharp sales fall, chair blames government for 'killing consumer confidence'

Highlights

  • Asda sales fall 3.8 per cent to £5.1 bn in three months to September, with comparable store sales down 2.8 per cent.
  • Chair Allan Leighton blames IT system problems from separating technology from former owner Walmart.
  • Leighton criticises government for hampering business investment and depressing consumer sentiment.
Asda has reported a sharp sales decline while criticising the government for "killing confidence" among consumers, though its chair admitted "self-inflicted" technology problems had set back turnaround plans by six months.

Total sales at Britain's third-largest supermarket fell 3.8 per cent to £5.1 bn in the three months ending September compared with the same period last year, reversing 0.2 per cent growth from the previous quarter. Comparable store sales dropped 2.8 per cent.

Chair Allan Leighton, who returned last year to revive the business for a second time, told the guardian that the fall in sales and market share was "totally self-inflicted." The supermarket struggled with technology issues during a lengthy effort to separate IT systems from former owner Walmart.

Keep ReadingShow less