Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Jaguar Land Rover: Brexit must be fair for all

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has revealed it is working on an electric car while also saying it may have to “realign its thinking” on investment after Britain’s vote to leave the EU.

Britain is expected to begin formal divorce talks from the European Union by March 2017, it emerged last weekend.


Discussions could last two years, and there are growing concerns among carmakers about the implications of a “hard Brexit”, which would leave firms paying tariffs to export UK-assembled cars to EU markets.

Nissan chief executive Carlos Ghosn said last Thursday (29) that he would halt new investment in Britain without a pledge of compensation for tariffs imposed on UK-built cars in the event of a “hard Brexit”.

Ralf Speth, the chief executive of JLR, Britain’s biggest carmaker, responded to those comments, saying: “We are the only car manufacturer in the UK to do all the work in terms of research, design, engineering, production planning in the UK. We want to have fair treatment and a level-playing field at the end of the day.”

Speth also cautioned that there were signs some customers in Europe, JLR’s biggest market, no longer wanted to buy British cars.

He said JLR, which built one third of Britain’s 1.6 million cars last year, would face a double hit in the event of “hard Brexit” with tariffs on exported cars and imported parts, and technology hurting competitiveness.

“If we face higher tariffs than anybody else, then it’s quite clear that it’s reducing the competitiveness of our products, especially in Europe,” he said. “The order of magnitude cannot be calculated right now.”

Carmakers Nissan and Toyota both warned last week that tariffs could hurt production in Britain. Volkswagen-owned brand Skoda urged Britain, Europe’s second-largest car market, to clarify the situation as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, the pound slid to a three-decade low against the dollar on Monday (3) after prime minister Theresa May set a March deadline for the formal departure process from the European Union to begin, sending British shares to a 16-month high.

May said she would invoke Article 50 no later than the end of next March, referring to the EU’s Lisbon Treaty that formally puts the divorce proceedings between the EU and Britain in place.

This means she kicks off the negotiations process before the French and German elections next year, and implies the two-year Brexit clock triggered under Article 50 will wind down by March 2019, a year before Britain’s next general election.

Chancellor Philip Hammond vowed to protect the economy from any turbulence during the negotiations, assuring businesses and consumers he would act if needed.

Any blow to the British car industry, which was dogged by wild-cat strikes and poor productivity in the 1970s and 1980s, could undo years of progress with output currently expected to reach a record high of two million by 2020.

JLR said its long-term investment strategy has not changed as a result of the referendum vote, but the firm would now have to think again after Britons backed leaving the EU on June 23.

“We have to realign all of our thinking and work on how to handle this Brexit best,” Speth said. Asked if that included investments, he replied: “Everything.”

Speth also raised concern that some European consumers might be shunning British brands in the wake of the Brexit vote, referring to comments by European sales representatives.

“They have the very first customers in their showrooms (who) clearly highlight that they don’t want to buy British products any more,” he said.

Over 800,000 jobs depend on Britain’s overwhelmingly foreign-owned car industry and big carmakers backed continued membership during the campaign, seeing benefits from open trade and standardised rules.

Britain’s car industry body the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders warned last Friday (30) that a lack of clarity over a potential deal risked future growth.

Hammond, who campaigned for Britain to remain in the EU before the referendum, said the government would ensure the best possible access to EU markets.

Speth left open the possibility of new investment in Britain such as an electric battery and car plant if the conditions, including pilot testing and support from science, were right. “The best thing would be to have something in the UK. If you are producing batteries there, you will also produce vehicles there,” he said, suggesting a partnership with the Warwick Manufacturing Group in central England. (Reuters)

More For You

Asda tech overhaul

Asda sales fell 0.2 per cent in the three months to June 30, 2025 (AFP via Getty Images)

AFP via Getty Images

Asda boss hails tech overhaul as key to revival despite sales slump

THE chairman of Asda has admitted the supermarket chain still faces challenges after sales slipped again over the summer, but said the completion of a major IT overhaul was crucial for its recovery.

Allan Leighton told the Times that the long-delayed technology project, called Project Future, had finally been finished after years of setbacks and costs exceeding £1 billion. The work involved separating more than 2,500 systems inherited from former owner Walmart, following Asda’s 2021 takeover by TDR Capital.

Keep ReadingShow less
Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

Christian Michel

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

THE family of Christian Michel, the British businessman accused of acting as a middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal, has appealed to the UK government to push for his release from Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Michel’s relatives met Foreign Office minister Catherine West in London on Tuesday (26). The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said the minister listened to their concerns and updated them on ongoing steps being taken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

Zuber and Mohsin Issa (Photo: LDRS)

Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

ASIAN entrepreneurs Mohsin and Zuber Issa are moving the headquarters of their global forecourt company, EG Group, from Blackburn to the US in preparation for a major stock market listing in New York.

The firm confirmed that its main office will relocate to Charlotte, North Carolina, while a new base in Bolton, Greater Manchester, will handle its remaining UK operations, the Telegraph reported. The change brings an end to almost 25 years of the company being run from Blackburn.

Keep ReadingShow less
Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

Workers at Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf

Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

WORKERS at the Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf have cancelled a planned six-week strike after reaching an agreement that met all their demands.

The group of housekeepers, most of whom are migrant women from Nepal and members of the United Voices of the World (UVW) union, were due to begin industrial action on Sunday (31). It would have been the longest hotel strike in the UK since 1979, a statement said.

Keep ReadingShow less
enforcement directorate

The Enforcement Directorate searches were conducted at locations linked to the Gupta brothers, Piyoosh Goyal of World Window Group, and entities such as Sahara Computers and ITJ Retails Pvt Ltd.

Getty Images

India agency acts on South Africa request in Gupta brothers probe

INDIA's financial crime fighting agency, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday carried out searches at locations connected to the Gupta brothers of South Africa and their associates in a money laundering case.

The action followed a Mutual Legal Assistance Request (MLAR) received by India from South Africa in connection with the "state capture scam," reported PTI quoting sources.

Keep ReadingShow less