Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Italy sees second successive drop in virus deaths

Italy on Monday (23) reported a second successive drop in daily deaths and infections from a coronavirus that has nevertheless claimed more than 6,000 lives in a month.

The Mediterranean country has now seen its daily fatalities come down from a world record 793 on Saturday to 651 on Sunday and 601 on Monday.


The number of new declared infections fell from 6,557 on Saturday to 4,789 on Monday.

The top medical officer for Milan's devastated Lombardy region appeared on television smiling for the first time in many weeks.

"We cannot declare victory just yet," Giulio Gallera said.

"But there is light at the end of the tunnel."

Italy's National Health Institute (ISS) chief Silvio Brusaferro was more guarded.

"These are positive number but I do not have the courage to firmly state that there is a downward trend," the medical expert told reporters.

Italians will desperately hope that weeks of living under a lockdown in which even a jog in the park was eventually banned was the price worth paying for beating back the new disease.

Saturday's record toll was followed by a late-night address to the nation in which prime minister Giuseppe Conte announced the additional closure of "non-essential" factories.

His government also banned travel to help a country that turned into the new epicentre of the pandemic last week get through a critical stretch in which restrictions are supposed to finally show results.

"Now more than ever, everyone's commitment is needed," Health Minister Roberto Speranza said after Monday's figures came out.

Italy's toll now stands at 6,077 -- more than that of China and third-placed Spain combined.

- Nerves starting to fray -

Italy has sacrificed its economy and liberties by closing and banning almost everything to halt the spread of a virus the government views as an existential threat.

The nation has rallied around its exhausted doctors and tried to deal with life under a state of emergency with humour and grace.

Entire city blocks have organised balcony parties with nightly DJs. There have been singalongs and synchronised rounds of applause.

But Italians' nerves were clearly starting to fray and the pushback on social media against the ever-changing rules and tightening regulations was getting strong.

Twitter posts went viral ridiculing mayors and regional chiefs who threatened to jail joggers and fine people for walking their dogs too far from their homes.

The government's new partial ban of seemingly random industries added to an air of confusion in the face of a disease Conte has called Italy's biggest disaster since World War II.

Auto part makers were allowed to stay open but steel mills were shut. News stands could still operate but book stores could not.

- Decision time -

The reality is that Conte's team is running out of things to close or ban.

Other nations are also watching the Italian numbers to see if Conte's ban-everything tactics work.

Italy is on the frontline of a war against a disease being fought by means that currently restrict freedoms and devastate economies.

Some are starting to openly ask if this price is too high -- even as the global death toll soars.

Officials pleaded with the nation of 60 million -- people accustomed to celebrating life outdoors deep into the night -- to sacrifice individual liberties for the common good for two weeks.

The initial restrictions placed on the northern epicentre of the pandemic around Milan expired on Sunday and the national measures are set to end on Wednesday.

Conte indicated last week that he might need to extend the restrictions indefinitely.

His decision is expected within days.

"If everyone -- and I stress everyone -- respects our bans, we will emerge from this very difficult test first," Conte said on Monday.

More For You

Serena Williams

Williams explained that her weight challenges began after the birth of her first daughter

Getty Images

Serena Williams says GLP-1 made her feel light physically and mentally after 31lb loss

Highlights:

  • Serena Williams reveals she has lost more than 31lbs using a GLP-1 medication
  • The tennis legend says the treatment enhanced her existing healthy lifestyle
  • She stresses that weight loss should not change self-image or self-confidence

Serena Williams has revealed she has lost more than 31lbs after turning to a weight-loss medication, saying the treatment has transformed both her body and her mindset.

The 23-time Grand Slam champion, 43, told PEOPLE that using a GLP-1 medication — a type of injection that works by regulating appetite — has helped enhance the healthy lifestyle she already maintained through diet and exercise.

Keep ReadingShow less
Olivia Dunne

The 2025 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model

Getty Images

Olivia Dunne shares behind-the-scenes reality of viral bathtub shoot

Highlights:

  • Olivia Dunne starred in a viral bubble bath shoot for a new Fanatics series.
  • The 2025 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model revealed the not-so-glamorous side of filming.
  • Her TikTok showing behind-the-scenes chaos has gained over 700,000 views.
  • Fans and family flooded the comments with jokes and questions.

Fanatics partnership and viral moment

Retired gymnast and 2025 SI Swimsuit cover star Olivia Dunne has gone viral again, this time thanks to an unusual shoot for Fanatics.

The brand announced its new digital series, Explained by Livvy Dunne, where the influencer takes on complex topics in a playful style. The launch video showed Dunne in a bubble bath—similar in style to Margot Robbie’s cameo in The Big Short—but with a twist: the tub was set up in the middle of a football field.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bhaktivedanta Manor

Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds

Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds

Tens of thousands of devotees gathered at Bhaktivedanta Manor, Watford over the weekend for the annual Sri Krishna Janmashtami festival, one of the most important dates in the Hindu calendar.

The celebrations began on Saturday (16) and continued throughout Sunday (17) , with organisers estimating that more than 50,000 visitors attended across the two days. The programme included darshan of Sri Sri Radha-Gokulananda, devotional singing, thought-provoking dramas, dance performances, exhibitions, and talks. Visitors also enjoyed a vibrant festival bazaar, a food court offering Indian delicacies, children’s activities, and free vegetarian meals (prasadam) served throughout the day.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dakota Johnson in a striking silver Gucci gown

She arrived in a striking silver Gucci gown

Getty Images

Dakota Johnson shines in metallic Gucci gown at 'Splitsville' premiere

Highlights:

  • Dakota Johnson wore two Gucci looks at the Los Angeles premiere of Splitsville.
  • Her silver corset gown highlighted this year’s metallic fashion trend.
  • She later changed into an emerald Gucci minidress for the after-party.
  • Johnson described the film as a “soulful, unique comedy” exploring love and relationships.

Red carpet look

Dakota Johnson turned heads at the Los Angeles premiere of Splitsville, arriving in a striking silver Gucci gown with a leather finish and a draped corset that cinched at the waist. The outfit echoed the metallic trend that has dominated fashion this year.

The actress later switched outfits for the after-party, opting for a long-sleeved emerald Gucci minidress.

Keep ReadingShow less
Shiv Katha at Siddhashram in memory of Air India plane crash victims

Shiv Katha at Siddhashram in memory of Air India plane crash victims

Mahesh Liloriya

London. A five-day Shiv Katha has begun at the International Siddhashram Shakti Centre to honour the victims of the tragic Air India crash, with prayers offered for their eternal peace. The programme, running from 18 to 22 August, is being led by HH Shri Rajrajeshwar Guruji with recitations by PP Shri Jogi Dada, and attended by devotees and dignitaries from India and abroad.

Opening the Katha, Shri Jogi Dada called it both a spiritual gathering and a heartfelt tribute to the passengers of the Ahmedabad–London flight. “Mahadev’s darshan equals a pilgrimage. It is inspiring to see the younger generation engaging in bhakti, which is vital for preserving our heritage."

Keep ReadingShow less