hrf

Google, Facebook told to take down #MeToo posts against Indian artist


Subodh Gupta  (Photo by Thomas Lohnes/Getty Images)
Subodh Gupta (Photo by Thomas Lohnes/Getty Images)

A Delhi high court on Monday (30) asked Google and Facebook to remove all #MeToo posts against artist Subodh Gupta.

The court also ordered Facebook, which owns Instagram, to reveal the identity of the user who accused Gupta of sexual misconduct.

Gupta was one of the well-known names mention at the height of the #MeToo movement last year.

On December 13, 2018, an anonymous Instagram user alleged that Gupta, formerly a guest curator of the Serendipity Arts Festival in Delhi, had been sexually inappropriate with a number of festival employees.

“Although many people say to be ‘careful’ around him,” the post claims, “I have personally received multiple inappropriate advances and unwanted touching from him, even after clearly saying no.”

On January 20, 2019, the person also alleged that Gupta had attempted to grope a woman at an art event.

The artist has however denied allegations of sexual misconduct. He told the Mint newspaper last year: “I have never behaved in an inappropriate manner with any individual who worked with me and several of my former assistants can attest to this. These allegations are entirely false and fabricated.”

Gupta filed a defamation suit against “unfounded, baseless sexual harassment allegations” published by the anonymous Instagram account.