Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

103-year-old Pakistani man survives COVID-19

A 103-year-old man has recovered from COVID-19 in Pakistan to become one of the oldest survivors of the disease in the world, beating the odds in a country with a weak healthcare system, his relatives and doctors said.

Aziz Abdul Alim, a resident of a village in the mountainous northern district of Chitral, was released last week from an emergency response centre after testing positive in early July.


"We were worried for him given his age, but he wasn't worried at all," Alim's son Sohail Ahmed told Reuters on the phone from his village, close to Pakistan's border with China and Afghanistan.

Ahmed quoted his father as saying that he had been through a lot in life and the coronavirus did not scare him. He did however, not like being in isolation.

A carpenter until his 70s, Alim has outlived three wives and nine sons and daughters, said Ahmed, who is himself in his 50s, adding that his father had separated from his fourth wife and is currently married to his fifth.

Alim also had to be provided with moral and psychological support during his isolation and treatment, Dr Sardar Nawaz, a senior medical officer at the Aga Khan Health Service emergency centre told Reuters on Friday.

The makeshift centre was set up in a girls' hostel just weeks before Alim was brought in and is the only one equipped to deal with COVID-19 patients for miles.

Pakistan has registered more than 270,000 cases of the disease and 5,763 deaths. While the number of people testing positive has dropped over the last month, government officials fear there could be another rise during the Muslim religious festival of Eid al-Adha, which falls on Aug. 1.

More For You

NHS cancer detection is stuck at 55 per cent. Here's why

Government targets 75 per cent early cancer detection by 2035, but Cancer Research UK says progress is falling short

Getty Images

NHS cancer detection is stuck at 55 per cent. Here's why

Highlights

  • One cancer diagnosis every 80 seconds in UK.
  • Early detection unchanged since 2013.
  • 107,000 patients wait over two months for treatment.
The NHS is not catching cancers any earlier than it did ten years ago. While 403,000 people now get a cancer diagnosis each year, the proportion caught at early stages stays around 55 per cent, barely changed from 54 per cent in 2013.

Cancer Research UK's latest report shows the detection system is not working well enough.

Michelle Mitchell, the charity's chief executive, called the findings "deeply worrying" and warned that "without urgent action, we won't see rates of improvements in cancer survival and outcomes that cancer patients deserve and expect."

Keep ReadingShow less