“Unless the government shows such friendly overtures and sensible immigration policies, the UK stands to lose out on Indian professionals who get drawn to other countries such as Australia and Canada,” says BAPIO president Dr Ramesh Mehta.
Eastern Eye Staff
INDIAN doctors working with the NHS have written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson to scrap an “unfair and discriminatory” surcharge imposed on foreign doctors, many of whom are on the front line against the coronavirus pandemic that has infected over 9,500 people in the country.
The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), introduced in April 2015, was imposed on people in the UK on a work, study or family visa for longer than six months in order to raise additional funds for the NHS.
In the Budget earlier this month, Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that the charge would be further hiked from £400 to £624 a year.
“We believe that this surcharge is discriminatory and unfair, as the overseas workers are already paying their due share of National Insurance contributions, superannuation and income tax,” read the letter sent to Johnson on Wednesday by the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (BAPIO), which had been lobbying against the IHS for long.
“We request you to remove the health surcharge with immediate effect. The NHS has been in a workforce crisis for several years, but now with the COVID-19 pandemic, there has never been a worse time for an overstrained service, and we require all the help we can get to meet the challenges,” appealed the letter, signed by BAPIO president Ramesh Mehta, chair JS Bamrah and secretary Professor Parag Singhal.
They believed the surcharge not only added a significant financial burden on new arrivals but also made them feel “undervalued”, and it proved a “disincentive” to BAPIO’s recruitment from India.
“By removing this, the government will demonstrate the genuineness of their caring attitude towards frontline staff,” the letter noted.
The letter came just as thousands of retired Indian doctors and nurses returned to the NHS, following a distress call from the government.
“These are exceptional and extraordinary times and we are here to assist the health service as much as possible,” said Mehta. “We are advising our recently retired doctors to return to work, of course with the provision that if any of them are unwell or have a chronic illness they must follow the government advice and self isolate.”
The UK had about 60,000 doctors of Indian origin working within the NHS, often referred to as the backbone of the country’s health service.
Among the recently retired, at least a couple of thousand are likely to be of Indian-origin, with a further estimated 10,000 in long-term retirement who were also being rallied to assist in whatever capacity possible.
During his weekly briefing from 10 Downing Street on Wednesday (25) evening, Johnson issued a “special thank you” to these returning medics and the nearly 405,000 people who have volunteered to support the NHS.
“To all of you, and all the former NHS staff who are coming back now into the service, I say thank you on behalf of the entire country,” he said.
The effort was also lauded by MPs in the House of Commons before Parliament closed its session on Wednesday, earlier than planned for its Easter break to comply with the strict social distancing rules amid a near-lockdown and “stay at home” government order in an effort to try and control the rapid spread of the pandemic.
As on Thursday (26), the UK had over 9,500 positive cases of COVID-19, with 465 deaths.