Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Oscar-winning filmmaker Hamdan Ballal beaten and detained in West Bank

Palestinian director of No Other Land attacked by settlers and arrested by Israeli forces, sparking global outcry.

 Hamdan Ballal

Palestinian Oscar-winning director Hamdan Ballal, co-creator of No Other Land, was reportedly assaulted by Israeli settlers before being detained by military forces in the West Bank

Getty Images

Hamdan Ballal, Palestinian co-director of the Oscar-winning documentary No Other Land, was assaulted by Israeli settlers and later taken into military custody in the occupied West Bank, witnesses say.

The attack took place Monday evening in the village of Susya, where armed settlers targeted Palestinian residents and international activists. According to the Centre for Jewish Nonviolence, Ballal suffered head injuries during the assault. While receiving treatment in an ambulance, Israeli soldiers reportedly pulled him out and arrested him, along with another Palestinian. His current whereabouts remain unknown.


The Israeli military confirmed it had detained three Palestinians and one Israeli after what it described as a violent confrontation involving rock-throwing. However, it denied removing anyone from an ambulance. Activists at the scene reject this claim, accusing soldiers of standing by as settlers attacked homes and vehicles before arresting victims instead of aggressors.

Ballal’s film, No Other Land, won Best Documentary at this year’s Academy Awards for its portrayal of the forced displacement of Palestinians in Masafer Yatta, an area Israel has designated for military training. His co-director, Basel Adra, believes the attack is part of an ongoing crackdown. “Since the Oscars, the attacks haven’t stopped,” Adra said. “This feels like punishment.”

Hamdan Ballal’s detention following his Oscar win has sparked international condemnationGetty Images


Violence in the West Bank has escalated sharply since the war in Gaza began. Palestinian health officials report that more than 900 Palestinians have been killed in military raids and settler attacks since October. Meanwhile, Israel continues expanding settlements considered illegal under international law further fuelling unrest.

Ballal’s detention has sparked international concern, with human rights groups warning of increased targeting of Palestinian activists and artists. Israeli authorities have yet to disclose his condition or legal status.

More For You

Harry Potter

HBO's Harry Potter adaptation already has a second season confirmed, which was announced earlier this month

Harry Potter

Harry Potter to recast youngest Weasley as Gracie Cochrane exits after debut season

Highlights

  • Gracie Cochrane will not return as Ginny Weasley after season one.
  • HBO begins search for new actor to take over the role from season two.
  • Series starts Christmas Day with ambitious 10-year plan ahead.
Gracie Cochrane will leave her role as Ginny Weasley after the first season of HBO's Harry Potter television series.
The young actor, who got the part in August 2025, has decided to step away from the role due to unforeseen circumstances that have not been disclosed publicly.

"Gracie has made the challenging decision to step away from her role as Ginny Weasley in the HBO Harry Potter series after season one," her family said in a statement shared with Deadline.

"Her time as part of the Harry Potter world has been truly wonderful, and she is deeply grateful to Lucy Bevan and the entire production team for creating such an unforgettable experience. Gracie is very excited about the opportunities her future holds."

Keep ReadingShow less