New scheme pays Bangladeshi militants to return to normal life


TWO Bangladeshi Islamist militants received cheques from the government on October 5 in return for pledging to return to normal life, under a new scheme attempting to halt rising extremism. Police said Abdul Hakim, 22, and Mahmudul Hasan, 17, had been members of banned local Islamist outfit Jamaayetul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), blamed for a cafe siege that left 20 mostly foreign hostages dead. Elite Rapid Action Battalion spokesman Mufti Mahmud Khan said the pair had recently reached out to police for assistance as part of a new scheme announced by the national police chief. “They were involved with the organisational…

You do not have access to this content. You need to subscribe.