Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Low testing makes Bangladesh more vulnerable to COVID-19

LOW testing and quarantine numbers make Bangladesh more vulnerable to COVID-19, experts warn.

Reports say that people are starving and most hospitals refuse patients with a fever and cough, making the situation worse.


The South Asian country has reported 3,382 positive cases with 110 deaths due to COVID-19 so far.

Bangladesh detected its first COVID-19 patient on March 8. The Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) report that only 24,000 tests have been conducted in suspected patients.

Considering the population of around 165 million, the testing numbers are too low.

Bangladesh is one of the countries with the highest rates of population density in the world. The percentage of tests being carried out is among the lowest – around 143 per one million people.

The government reports that hospitals are prepared to receive COVID-19 patients and that there are sufficient test kits, though only 12 per cent of people with symptoms have been tested so far.

In March, Bangladesh screened more than 650,000 passengers at its international airports, ports and land borders by measuring their body temperature, although only around 28,500 people were put in quarantine and 65 in isolation, according to the health directorate.

To contain the spread of the coronavirus, Bangladesh government announced a general holiday starting from March 26 that has been extended multiple times, and at the moment is set to end on April 25.

Experts believe that it is difficult to enforce social distancing rules in many areas in the country, posing more risk.

In capital Dhaka, about 18 million people pass through its streets daily and its population density is over 23,000 people per square kilometre.

In slums, home to 4.5 million people, families of four to five live in rooms that don’t exceed four square metres.

A leaked UN report said that around two million people may die in Bangladesh due to COVID-19.

More For You

Racist incidents against NHS nurses rise 78 per cent

The RCN says calls from ethnic minority nurses reporting racism rose by 70 per cent between 2022 and 2025

iStock

Racist incidents against NHS nurses rise 78 per cent

Highlights

  • Nursing staff reported 6,812 racist incidents in 2025, up from 3,652 in 2022.
  • RCN warns real figures are far higher due to widespread under-reporting.
  • From October, NHS employers will be legally liable for harassment of staff by patients.
Racist abuse against NHS nurses has gone up sharply. New figures show a 78 per cent rise in reported incidents over the past four years.
The Royal College of Nursing gathered this data through Freedom of Information requests sent to NHS trusts and health boards across the UK.
The findings show that nursing staff reported more than 21,000 incidents of racial abuse between 2022 and 2025. In 2025 alone, there were 6,812 incidents, up from 3,652 in 2022.
That means a new report of racist abuse was being made every 77 minutes somewhere in the NHS.

The incidents paint a disturbing picture of what many nurses face on a daily basis. One nurse was called a monkey by a colleague.

A patient threw a hot drink at a nurse and then followed it with racial abuse. In one case, a patient's family said they did not want black nurses looking after their relative.

Keep ReadingShow less