Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo fails quality tests in India

JOHNSON & JOHNSON'S (J&J) baby shampoo samples failed quality tests conducted by the northwestern Indian state of Rajasthan, according to a public notice from the state's drugs watchdog, findings that were rejected by the US drug maker.

This comes just a few months after Indian authorities launched an investigation into J&J's baby powder to see if it contains cancer-causing asbestos.


J&J said in late February it had resumed production of baby talc after government tests found no asbestos in the product.

The Rajasthan drugs control organisation's notice dated March 5 said that the samples of J&J's baby shampoo taken from two batches had failed the quality test as they contained "harmful ingredients". It did not elaborate.

A J&J spokeswoman said that the results it received from the watchdog indicated that formaldehyde had been discovered in the samples.

Formaldehyde, used in making building materials, is a known carcinogen.

"We do not accept the interim results given to us, which mentioned samples to 'contain harmful ingredients- identification positive for formaldehyde,'" she said.

"We unequivocally maintain that our products are safe and our assurance process is amongst the most rigorous in the world," the J&J spokeswoman said, adding that the company has contested the interim test results of the government analysis that were based on "unknown and unspecified methods".

The two batches of the baby shampoo tested are due to expire in September 2021 and were manufactured at the company's plant in the northern state of Himachal Pradesh, according to the watchdog's notice.

"We have confirmed to the Indian authorities that we do not add formaldehyde as an ingredient in our shampoo nor does Johnson's baby shampoo contain any ingredient that can release formaldehyde over time," the company spokeswoman said.

The federal regulator and its counterparts in Indian states launched an investigation into J&J's baby powder following a Reuters report in December that the firm knew for decades that cancer-causing asbestos could be found in the product.

J&J has described the Reuters article as "one-sided, false and inflammatory".

(Reuters)

More For You

 Elon Musk

Elon Musk is expected to retain near-total control even after the stock market debut

Getty Images

SpaceX IPO ahead; Elon Musk all set to turn trillionaire on June 12

  • SpaceX’s public filing shows a company betting heavily on artificial intelligence beyond rockets and satellites.
  • Elon Musk is expected to retain near-total control even after the stock market debut.
  • Massive losses, legal troubles and AI risks are emerging just as investors prepare for one of the biggest IPOs in history.

After operating largely behind closed doors for nearly 24 years, SpaceX has finally opened its books to the public as it prepares for a historic stock market debut that could reshape both Wall Street and the technology sector.

The highly anticipated SpaceX IPO, reportedly targeted for June 12 under the ticker symbol “SPCX”, is already being viewed as one of the biggest moments in US market history. Reports suggest the company could enter public markets with a valuation close to £928 billion ($1.25 trillion), potentially making it the first trillion-dollar public listing ever.

Keep ReadingShow less