Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

IPL Chinese sponsor deal suspension 'not financial crisis': Ganguly

India's cricket chief Sourav Ganguly says the Indian Premier League's decision to suspend a lucrative contract with its main sponsor, the Chinese phone maker Vivo, following a deadly border clash between the two nations is "just a blip".

The IPL last week suspended the agreement with Vivo, which signed a five-year contract in 2017 worth more than $330 million to sponsor the world's richest cricket tournament.


"I wouldn't call it a financial crisis. It is just a little bit of a blip," said Ganguly, the head of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

"BCCI, it's a very strong foundation -- the game, the players, the administrators in the past have made this game so strong that BCCI is able to handle all these blips," he said at an online conference on Saturday, the Press Trust of India reported.

"You keep your other options open. It is like Plan A and Plan B."

The 2020 IPL tournament is due to start in the United Arab Emirates next month.

Vivo said the decision was mutually agreed.

Calls for a boycott of Chinese firms and products in India grew after the June 15 clash in which 20 Indian soldiers died.

The Indian government has already banned dozens of Chinese smartphone apps -- including the popular video-sharing platform TikTok -- and also taken other measures to restrict trade with China.

The IPL and BCCI have tie-ups with companies including Paytm, Swiggy, Dream11 and Byju, which all have Chinese investment.

According to reports, the BCCI was in talks with Indian companies over sponsorship deals but was expected to make less than the $60 million it would have received from Vivo.

Each of the eight IPL teams stands to lose nearly $4 million from the lost sponsorship, a team official told AFP Thursday on condition of anonymity.

The star-studded IPL Twenty20 league is a huge revenue earner for BCCI and is estimated to generate more than $11 billion for the Indian economy.

The tournament normally starts in March, but was repeatedly postponed this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Camera in airpods

Apple may be exploring camera-equipped AirPods that can recognise and respond to the world around the wearer

iStock

Would you trust AirPods with cameras? Apple may have a privacy problem

  • A video found in pre-release macOS software appears to show how camera-equipped AirPods could work.
  • The technology could allow AirPods to use visual intelligence to recognise objects and save information.
  • Privacy concerns around cameras on wearable devices could become a major hurdle for Apple.

Would you be comfortable sitting next to someone whose AirPods could be watching the room? That may sound like a strange question, but it could become a real issue if Apple goes ahead with camera-equipped AirPods.

A video discovered in pre-release code for macOS Tahoe 26.7 appears to offer a glimpse of what Apple has in mind. In the clip, a man wearing AirPods picks up a book and looks at it while a female voice explains that, with visual intelligence, users could ask the system to save things they see for later.

Keep ReadingShow less