Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Investigation proposes criminal action against Sri Lanka's ex-president, intelligence chiefs

Investigation proposes criminal action against Sri Lanka's ex-president, intelligence chiefs

SRI LANKA’S ex-president and his intelligence chiefs should be prosecuted for failing to prevent suicide bombings two years ago on Easter Sunday that killed 279 people, according to an investigation released on Tuesday (23).

Maithripala Sirisena, who left office last year, was found to have been negligent by an investigation he set up five months after the Islamic militant attacks on three hotels and three churches on April 21, 2019.


It quickly emerged that Indian intelligence had warned Sri Lanka 17 days beforehand about the risk of attacks, following a tip-off from a suspect.

The report by the presidential commission of inquiry said the "balance of probability" was that Sirisena was told by his intelligence chief about the warnings before the attacks.

The commission, which heard from 440 witnesses and handed over its report to parliament on Tuesday, said the attorney general should "consider instituting criminal proceedings against (former) president Sirisena under any suitable provision in the Penal Code".

Sirisena, now a ruling party legislator, has previously denied any knowledge of the warnings, and made no comment about the report.

The probe also found Sirisena's head of intelligence Nilantha Jayawardena was criminally liable for failing to act on the warnings from Indian intelligence.

Jayawardena had "diluted the weight of the intelligence" from India, the report said.

It added that police inspector-general Pujith Jayasundara should also be prosecuted for negligence. Jayasundara and the top defence ministry official at the time, Hemasiri Fernando, already face charges over their failure to prevent the attacks.

The report found that the coordinated bombings were funded by the family of a local spice trader whose two sons were among the suicide bombers.

Two days after the attack, Daesh (the Islamic State group) claimed responsibility, but investigators say they have not found a direct link between the local jihadists and Daesh.

The attacks were led by Zahran Hashim, an Islamist known to Sri Lankan anti-terror police and intelligence units.

He had issued calls on social media for the killing of non-Muslims and persuaded six young men to sacrifice themselves in Sri Lanka.

More For You

Energy Bills

Average household energy bills in Great Britain could rise by more than £200 from July.

iStock

UK energy bills could rise above £1,850 for typical dual-fuel households from July

  • Average household energy bills in Great Britain could rise by more than £200 from July.
  • The expected increase follows sharp volatility in global gas markets linked to the Iran conflict.
  • Experts warn the bigger pressure may arrive in autumn when heating demand rises again.

Households across Great Britain are being warned to prepare for another rise in energy bills, with analysts forecasting annual costs could climb to nearly £1,900 from July as the fallout from the Iran conflict continues to shake global gas markets.

Energy consultancy Cornwall Insight now expects Ofgem’s energy price cap for a typical dual-fuel household to rise to around £1,850 between July and September. That would mark an increase of £209 from the current £1,641 cap set for April to June, representing a jump of almost 13 per cent.

Keep ReadingShow less