Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian officer shouts at visa applicant in US, video goes viral

Indian officer shouts at visa applicant in US, video goes viral

A video of an officer at the Indian consulate in New York screaming at a visa applicant has gone viral on social media prompting action from the Consul General of India, New York, media reports said.

The consulate said they have taken note of the incident and visas were issued to those applicants seen in the video.


The incident took place in the last week of November. Now, the video is being shared on social media and people are coming up with their experiences of visa troubles.

"On 24/11/2021. Indian embassy New York. Her father had died & she wanted a visa for India. This is the obnoxious behavior of an Indian officer in the New York Consulate towards her. @DrSJaishankar @MEAIndia @PMOIndia

you can't ignore this," actor Simi Garewal wrote on Twitter.

According to reports, the incident took place on November 24, when an Indian woman in New York went for visa processing.

In the video, she said her father passed away a day before, while the officer returned the application and said, 'take your money'. The official was seen saying, "Just keep your money and go out."

On being asked whether there was any missing paperwork, the staff apparently refused to answer and went inside. The entire proceeding was recorded on the mobile phone of the person accompanying the woman.

Towards the end of the video, an official told them that they were not supposed to use the camera inside the consulate.

"We have taken note of the complaint. The Consulate maintains the highest standards of public service. This particular incident does not reflect either its norms or its guideline of public functioning. The Consul General has personally reviewed the matter. based on the information presented, it has been decided to institute disciplinary proceedings against the officer," the consulate said as soon as the video was brought to the notice of the consulate.

The consulate later informed that visas were issued to those applicants.

"Visas were issued to the applicants expeditiously. Full facts in the case, including the conduct of all parties involved, are being reviewed by the Consul General. We remain committed to efficient and courteous consular services at all times, as we have been delivering these through the unprecedented challenges posed by the Covid-19," the Consulate said.

More For You

Malaysian woman wins legal case against Cumbria hotel employer over discrimination

The tribunal found that Ong was the only member of staff required to show her passport before being paid her wages

iStock

Malaysian woman wins legal case against Cumbria hotel employer over discrimination

Highlights

  • Ong was made to work in conditions that triggered her asthma despite suffering from it since age five.
  • She was the only staff member required to show her passport to receive wages.
  • She was sacked after refusing to move accommodation, having never received any wages.
An Asian migrant working without a legal permit has won an employment tribunal case against a hotel in Cumbria.
Erin Ong, a Malaysian national who was in the UK on a visitor's visa, was managing the 32-room Fisherbeck Hotel in Ambleside when she faced a series of discriminatory treatment by her employer.
Despite her employment being described as "tainted by illegality," an employment judge ruled she was still entitled to claim compensation for discrimination.

Ong, who is well-educated and previously worked as a tax consultant at one of the big four accounting firms, was contacted by Zhiyong Zhou, director of Yatson & Co, which owned and ran the hotel.

She was offered the role of manager on a salary of £28,000 a year, with a promise that a work permit would follow after one month.

Keep ReadingShow less