Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

England rejects calls to boycott Afghanistan match

ECB chair said they would play the match after discussions with the government, the ICC and the players

England rejects calls to boycott Afghanistan match

ECB chairman Richard Thompson. (Photo by Alex Davidson/Getty Images)

ENGLAND will play their Champions Trophy match against Afghanistan later this month, England's cricket board (ECB) said, despite calls to boycott the game in response to the Taliban government's crackdown on women's rights.

Last month, a group of British lawmakers urged England to boycott the Champions Trophy group stage match against Afghanistan which will be held in Lahore on February 26.


South Africa sports minister Gayton McKenzie also supported calls for a boycott.

Afghanistan had 25 contracted women players in 2020, but most are now living in exile in Australia following the Taliban takeover of their country in August 2021.

However, ECB chair Richard Thompson said they would play the match after discussions with the government, the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the players, adding that the cricketing community alone cannot tackle Afghanistan's problems.

"We remain of the view that a co-ordinated international response by the cricketing community is the appropriate way forward and will achieve more than any unilateral action by the ECB in boycotting this match," Thompson said in a statement.

"We have also heard that for many ordinary Afghans, watching their cricket team is one of the few remaining sources of enjoyment. As such, we can confirm that we will play this fixture."

The Taliban say they respect women's rights in accordance with their interpretation of Islamic law and local customs and that they are internal matters that should be addressed locally.

Last week, Afghanistan's exiled women cricketers were named the first beneficiaries of a new refugee fund started by the Marylebone Cricket Club and Thompson said the ECB had donated £100,000.

"We will continue to press the ICC to take further action, including ringfencing a meaningful portion of funding to support female players from Afghanistan to be able to access cricket," he added.

Thompson also said the ICC should consider recognising an Afghanistan women's refugee team while also supporting and developing displaced Afghan women "to thrive in non-playing roles" such as coaches and administrators.

"What is happening in Afghanistan is nothing short of gender apartheid," he said.

"At a cricketing level, when women's and girls' cricket is growing rapidly around the world, it is heartbreaking that those growing up in Afghanistan are denied this opportunity."

(Reuters)

More For You

​Gukesh

Gukesh, as the reigning world champion, is not in the Candidates race, and his participation will be for prize money and rating points.

Getty Images

Chess World Cup 2025 to be held in Goa

GOA will host the Chess World Cup from October 30 to November 27. The FIDE World Cup 2025 carries a prize fund of USD 2 million and offers three qualifying spots for next year’s Candidates tournament.

The 206-player field includes world champion D Gukesh, Magnus Carlsen, Fabiano Caruana and R Praggnanandhaa. However, Gukesh, as the reigning world champion, is not in the Candidates race, and his participation will be for prize money and rating points.

Keep ReadingShow less
CWG-2010-Getty

India hosted the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. (Photo credit: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Modi cabinet clears Ahmedabad bid for Commonwealth Games 2030

INDIA on Wednesday said Ahmedabad would be an "ideal" venue for the 2030 Commonwealth Games, as the country seeks to strengthen its case to host the 2036 Olympics.

Ahmedabad, the main city in prime minister Narendra Modi's home state Gujarat, has a 130,000-capacity stadium, the largest cricket arena in the world, named after him.

Keep ReadingShow less
Indian football

If suspended, India’s national teams and clubs would not be allowed to compete in international competitions. (Photo: Getty Images)

India risks FIFA ban again as AIFF constitution deadline looms

INDIA could face a ban from world football for the second time in three years after FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) warned the All India Football Federation (AIFF) to adopt a new constitution by October 30.

FIFA and the AFC sent a joint letter to AIFF president Kalyan Chaubey, expressing concern over the delay in finalising and adopting the constitution.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dream11-BCCI-Getty

Dream11 originally signed the three-year agreement in July 2023, taking over as jersey sponsor in a deal worth £31m. T

getty images

Dream11 pulls out as Indian cricket sponsor after gambling ban

INDIAN cricket faces a scramble to find a new main sponsor after Dream11 pulled out of its three-year partnership worth £33 million ($43.6m) following the government's sweeping ban on online gambling platforms.

Representatives from Dream11, India's biggest fantasy sports platform, visited the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters on Monday (25) to inform chief executive Hemang Amin they could no longer continue the sponsorship deal. The company's logo currently appears on jerseys worn by both the men's and women's national teams.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lamine Yamal Nicki Nicole romance

Lamine Yamal poses with Nicki Nicole in a heart-filled setting shared on Instagram

Lamine Yamal confirms Nicki Nicole romance after backlash over wild birthday party and nightclub rumours

Highlights:

  • Barcelona teenager Lamine Yamal confirms romance with Argentine singer Nicki Nicole
  • The couple shared a romantic photo on Instagram with heart-themed décor
  • Yamal’s love life had drawn controversy after nightclub rumours and a birthday party scandal
  • Fans now turn focus to his football career as new season begins

Barcelona star Lamine Yamal has confirmed his relationship with Argentine singer Nicki Nicole, settling weeks of speculation around his personal life. The 17-year-old, who made headlines this summer for his off-pitch controversies, posted a romantic picture with the Latin music star, using a heart emoji to signal the nature of their bond. The move shifts attention from gossip about his dating life to a more settled chapter as Barcelona’s season gets underway.

Lamine Yamal Nicki Nicole romance Lamine Yamal poses with Nicki Nicole in a heart-filled setting shared on Instagram X/@MrGafan

Keep ReadingShow less