Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Musk faces backlash over deepfake video targeting Harris

In the video, a voiceover mimicking Harris accuses president Joe Biden of being senile and claims she does not “know the first thing about running the country”.

Musk faces backlash over deepfake video targeting Harris

BILLIONAIRE and X owner Elon Musk faced criticism Monday (29) for sharing a deepfake video featuring US vice-president Kamala Harris, which tech campaigners said violated the platform's own policies.

Musk reposted a manipulated Harris campaign video in which a voiceover mimicking her accuses president Joe Biden of being senile and claims she does not "know the first thing about running the country," further stating that as a woman and a person of color, she is the "ultimate diversity hire."


The video was originally posted by an X account linked to conservative podcaster Chris Kohls and labeled a "parody."

However, Musk's repost on Friday (26) made no such disclosure, stating only: "This is amazing," along with a laughing emoji.

Musk's repost garnered more than 130 million views and comes amid growing alarm over AI-enabled political disinformation ahead of the US presidential election in November.

"We believe the American people want the real freedom, opportunity, and security vice-president Harris is offering; not the fake, manipulated lies of Elon Musk and Donald Trump," Harris's presidential campaign said in a statement.

With nearly 192 million followers, Musk is a highly influential voice on the platform, previously called Twitter, which he purchased in 2022 in a $44 billion (£34,29bn) deal.

Earlier this month, Musk endorsed Trump in a post on X shortly after the Republican narrowly escaped an assassination attempt during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania.

Gavin Newsom, the Democratic governor of California, posted on X that the manipulated Harris video "should be illegal" and that he would soon sign a bill banning such media.

A defiant Musk responded to his post, saying "parody is legal in America," while including the original video below it.

Musk's repost appeared to violate X's policies, which prohibit sharing "synthetic, manipulated or out-of-context media that may deceive or confuse people and lead to harm."

X did not respond to AFP's request for comment.

"Ignoring the rules of the road (because) he bought the road," Nora Benavidez, senior counsel at the watchdog Free Press, wrote on X, referring to Musk's apparent violation of the site's policies.

Disinformation researchers are fearful of rampant misuse of AI technology in a major election year, thanks to proliferating online tools that are cheap and easy to use while lacking sufficient guardrails.

AI-generated content – particularly audio, which experts say is difficult to identify – sparked national alarm in January when a fake robocall posing as Biden urged New Hampshire residents not to vote in the state's primary.

"Platforms play an outsized role in election cycles," Benavidez wrote. "They must do better." (AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less