Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Canada-India rift deepens

Delhi slams ‘absurd' Trudeau claims over Sikh's killing

Canada-India rift deepens

CANADIAN prime minister Justin Trudeau’s accusation on Tuesday (19) that the Indian government was behind the killing of a Sikh leader in Canada led to an escalating war-of-words and diplomats being ejected from both countries.

India described as “absurd” Trudeau’s claims that “credible allegations” linked Indian agents to the June slaying of Hardeep Singh Nijjar. He was gunned down on June 18 in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, home to a large Sikh community.


Nijjar was accused by New Delhi of carrying out terrorist attacks in India, including being part of a plan to murder a Hindu priest in Punjab – charges he denied.

The 45-year-old was an activist campaigning for the establishment of Khalistan, an independent Sikh state to be carved out of part of northern India and perhaps part of Pakistan. He had been organising an unofficial referendum for Khalistan at the time of his death.

New Delhi insisted it had nothing to do with the killing, adding that prime minister Narendra Modi had "completely rejected" the accusation when raised privately by Trudeau. "Allegations of Government of India's involvement in any act of violence in Canada are absurd," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

"We are a democratic polity with a strong commitment to rule of law."

Trudeau made the allegations public before an emergency session of parliament, calling in the "strongest possible terms" for the Indian government to cooperate in clearing up the matter.

"The involvement of any foreign government in the murder of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil is an unacceptable violation of our sovereignty," he said.

Trudeau later told the media that Canada would always defend "freedom of expression, freedom of conscience and freedom of peaceful protest" while acting against hatred.

Foreign minister Melanie Joly then announced the expulsion of the local head of the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), India's foreign intelligence agency.

India responded by summoning Canada's High Commissioner to the foreign ministry on Tuesday before announcing a reciprocal expulsion of an unnamed top Canadian diplomat.

That decision reflected the "growing concern at the interference of Canadian diplomats in our internal matters and their involvement in anti-India activities", the ministry said.

LEAD Turn Canada Sikh 1B Canada has the largest population of Sikhs globally outside of India, with some groups seeking the creation ofKhalistan (Pic credit: REUTERS/Chris Helgren)


Candida’s public safety minister Dominic LeBlanc said the country’s national security advisor and the head of Canada’s spy service had travelled to India to meet their counterparts and to confront the Indian intelligence agencies with the allegations. He called it an active homicide investigation led by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Trudeau added his government has been working closely with Canada’s allies on the case, saying he had raised it with US president Joe Biden and British prime minister Rishi Sunak.

The United States and Australia expressed "deep concern" over Canada’s accusations, while Britain said it was in close touch with its Canadian partners about the "serious allegations".

Trudeau was also supported by Canada’s opposition parties, with The New Democratic party leader, Jagmeet Singh, who is Sikh, saying there must be consequences for the assassination.

“To hear the prime minister of Canada corroborate a potential link between a murder of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil by a foreign government is something I could never have imagined,” he said. “We will ensure that no rock is unturned, that every possible link is examined.”

The Conservative leader, Pierre Poilievre, said the allegations, if true, “represent an outrageous affront to Canada”, adding that citizens should be free from extrajudicial killings. He added: “Canadians deserve to be protected on Canadian soil. We call on the Indian government to act with utmost transparency as authorities investigate this murder, because the truth must come out.”

LEAD Turn Canada INSET The High Commission of Canada in New Delhi has seen protests against Justin Trudeau and his government (ANI Photo)

Canada has the largest population of Sikhs globally outside of India, and New Delhi has long been unhappy with Canada's handling of Sikh separatist activists linked to an independent Sikh homeland in Punjab, India.

The creation of Khalistan has been sought for decades. Punjab, which is 58 per cent Sikh and 39 per cent Hindu, was rocked by a violent separatist movement in the 1980s and early 1990s, in which thousands died before it was suppressed by tough security action.

However, India has been wary of any revival, with a particular focus on small groups of Sikhs in Australia, Britain, Canada and the US, who support the separatist demand and occasionally stage protests outside its embassies.

Nijjar is the third prominent Sikh figure to have died suddenly in recent months - including one death the UK.

Avtar Singh Khanda, reportedly the head of the Khalistan Liberation Force, died in Birmingham in June.

According to the BBC, Khanda’s death occurred in what has been described as “mysterious circumstances” that some believe could be related to poisoning.

A third man, Paramjit Singh Panjwar, was shot dead in May in Lahore, the capital of Pakistan’s Punjab province.

Shruti Kapila, professor of History and Politics at the University of Cambridge, told BBC’s Today programme the campaign for Khalistan is now an issue fought for outside of India.

“It’s important to state that politics in the Indian Punjab have really moved on and that this separatist issue now seems much more extraterritorial and in places where there is a Sikh community such as in Canada,” Kapila said.

“It’s the diasporas that are seeking it rather than the Sikhs in Punjab,” the professor noted. “Indian Punjab now has a completely different set of politics and the issue longer commands either a popular, let alone, militant acceptance in the heartland.”

‘Delhi sensitive’ to handling of Sikh protests

INDIA has been particularly sensitive to Sikh protesters in Canada with some Indian analysts saying Ottawa does not stop them as Sikhs are a politically influential group there.

In June, India criticised Canada for permitting a float in a parade depicting the 1984 assassination of prime minister Indira Gandhi by her bodyguards, perceived to be glorification of violence by Sikh separatists.

Tensions between India and Canada have been simmering over the unsolved slaying of Nijjar, and Indian unhappiness over how Ottawa has handled Sikh separatists.

Jocelyn Coulon, a former adviser to Trudeau who is now an independent researcher, said Canada's accusation would have "the effect of a bomb around the world".

India will join "the group of nations that assassinate political opponents" abroad, much as Saudi Arabia orchestrated the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey in 2018, said Coulon.

Trudeau was in New Delhi last week for the G20 summit and met Modi privately, but his visit was a testament to the strained ties between their countries. Modi did not hold a two-way meeting with Trudeau at the G20 summit, despite similar meetings with other world leaders.

Days earlier, metro stations in the Indian capital were vandalised with pro-Khalistan graffiti.

Modi expressed "strong concerns about continuing anti-India activities of extremist elements in Canada" during a meeting with Trudeau, according to an Indian government statement.

India has often complained about activities of the Sikh diaspora abroad, particularly in Canada, which New Delhi believes could revive a Sikh separatist movement.

India’s ministry of external affairs (MEA) said these "unsubstantiated" allegations seek to shift the focus from Khalistani terrorists and extremists, who have been provided "shelter in Canada and continue to threaten India's sovereignty and territorial integrity".

"The inaction of the Canadian Government on this matter has been a long-standing and continuing concern," it said.

"The space given in Canada to a range of illegal activities including murders, human trafficking and organised crime is not new.

"We reject any attempts to connect the Government of India to such developments," it said.

"We urge the Government of Canada to take prompt and effective legal action against all anti-India elements operating from their soil," it added.

Canada recently suspended negotiations for a free-trade agreement with India.

Canadian Trade Minister Mary Ng postponed a trade mission to India planned for October. Both countries said they paused trade talks after expressing earlier in 2023 they aimed to seal an initial trade deal this year.

Bilateral commercial relations between the two countries are worth $100 billion (£80.6bn), which includes $70 bn (£56.4bn) of Canadian portfolio investment, according to Indian figures.

More For You

Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Camila Cabello keeps performing after her corset came undone mid-song in Taiwan

Instagram/camila_cabello

Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Highlights:

  • Camila Cabello suffered a wardrobe malfunction when her corset popped open mid-performance.
  • The singer admitted to panicking but continued the show without missing a beat.
  • She later addressed the moment on Instagram, joking about the mishap.
  • The Kaohsiung, Taiwan, concert marked the start of the Asia leg of her Yours, C world tour.

Camila Cabello faced an unexpected wardrobe malfunction when her pale-pink corset popped open during a performance on her Yours, C world tour. The Señorita hitmaker went into “panic” mode as the top came undone while she sang Chanel No. 5, but she managed to keep her composure on stage. The moment quickly trended online, with fans praising her professionalism.

Camila Cabello signalled her team for help as she continued dancing with fans cheering her onInstagram/camila_cabello

Keep ReadingShow less
meghan markle

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly working on a Netflix documentary about Princess Diana for 2027

Getty Images

Netflix reportedly in talks with Harry and Meghan for Princess Diana documentary with insiders calling it a royal bombshell

Highlights:

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle extend Netflix deal after £100 million (₹1,054 crore) contract ends.
  • Princess Diana documentary being discussed for 2027, marking 30 years since her death.
  • Netflix given first rights to Sussexes’ new shows under fresh “first look” deal.
  • Meghan’s lifestyle series With Love, Meghan returns for a second season despite mixed reviews.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are in talks with Netflix for a new project centred on Princess Diana, with plans to release a documentary in 2027. The proposal forms part of their renewed “first look” deal with the streaming giant, following the end of their original £100 million (₹1,054 crore) partnership. The late princess remains a powerful secondary figure in the Sussexes’ story, and this project could be one of their most significant ventures yet.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly working on a Netflix documentary about Princess Diana for 2027Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
Pokémon Go counters

Only Dynamax and Gigantamax Pokémon can be used in battle

Niantic

Pokémon Go Eternatus counters and weaknesses you need to know

Highlights:

  • Eternamax Eternatus is a Poison and Dragon-type Pokémon.
  • It is only available during the Max Finale event under Max Battle rules.
  • Weak to Dragon, Ground, Ice and Psychic-types.
  • Only Dynamax and Gigantamax Pokémon can be used in battle.
  • Rewards include XP, Eternatus Candy and Eternatus Candy XL.

Eternamax Eternatus has arrived in Pokémon Go as part of the Max Finale event, bringing one of the game’s toughest battles to date. As a Gigantamax Pokémon, Eternamax Eternatus can only be fought under Max Battle rules, meaning trainers are restricted to using Dynamax and Gigantamax Pokémon. Choosing the right counters is essential if you want to stand a chance in this encounter.

Eternamax Eternatus type and weaknesses

  • Type: Poison and Dragon
  • Weaknesses: Dragon, Ground, Ice, Psychic

This typing makes Eternamax Eternatus especially dangerous, as it combines high attack power with a broad move pool. Selecting Pokémon that exploit its weaknesses is key to success.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ciara Watkin sexual assault case

Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status

Instagram/ Terry Blackburn

UK trans woman Ciara Watkin guilty of sexual assault after failing to reveal transgender status

Highlights:

  • A 21-year-old transgender woman has been convicted of sexual assault in northeast England.
  • Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status before engaging in sexual activity with a male partner.
  • The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the man could not give informed consent.
  • Watkin was found guilty on three charges at Teesside Crown Court.
  • Sentencing is scheduled for 10 October.

A transgender woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a male partner after failing to disclose her gender status before sexual activity. Prosecutors argued that the man could not give informed consent, and the case has been described as having a significant impact on his mental wellbeing.

The case

Ciara Watkin, 21, from Stockton-on-Tees, met the man, also 21, on Snapchat in June 2022. She later engaged in sexual activity with him without revealing her gender status. During their first encounter, she told him she was on her period and could not be touched below the waist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Coolie box office collection

Rajinikanth's Coolie which has crossed £430m worldwide in just nine days

Instagram/sunpictures

Rajinikanth’s 'Coolie' beats Vijay’s 'GOAT' at worldwide box office with £430m becoming the fifth biggest Tamil blockbuster

Highlights:

  • Rajinikanth’s Coolie crosses the £430m (₹457 crore) mark at the worldwide box office in nine days
  • The film has now overtaken Vijay’s GOAT to become the fifth highest-grossing Tamil film ever
  • Strong overseas earnings from the UK, US and Australia boosted its box office performance
  • Directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj, the film stars Rajinikanth, Nagarjuna, Shruti Haasan and Aamir Khan in a cameo

Rajinikanth’s Coolie has emerged as one of the biggest Tamil blockbusters of 2025, with its worldwide box office collection crossing £430m (₹457 crore) in just nine days. The film, which has been a major talking point in Tamil cinema, has not only dominated the Indian market but also broken records in overseas territories such as the UK, US, and Australia. By surpassing Vijay’s The Greatest Of All Time (GOAT), Coolie has now become the fifth highest-grossing Tamil film of all time.

Coolie box office collection Coolie overtakes Vijay’s GOAT to become the fifth highest-grossing Tamil film of all time Instagram/sunpictures

Keep ReadingShow less