Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

UK plans hotel quarantine to prevent new coronavirus variants entering the country

UK plans hotel quarantine to prevent new coronavirus variants entering the country

BRITAIN has plans to bring in mandatory quarantine in hotels for some or all arrivals, the country's coronavirus vaccination minister said as he warned the public not to book summer vacations.

Prime minister Boris Johnson has said he was looking at the option of introducing quarantine hotels for those coming to Britain to prevent the risk of 'vaccine-busting' new coronavirus variants entering the country.


Nadhim Zahawi, the minister responsible for the rollout of the UK's Covid-19 vaccination programme, said details of plans would come later on Tuesday(26).

"The government is looking at, as the prime minister has confirmed, the hotel quarantine policy, and we'll make an announcement on this in the appropriate way," he told BBC TV.

Britain has suffered a sharp rise in the number of infections and deaths in the new year, fuelled partly by a new more highly contagious variant of the virus first identified in southeast England.

There has been concern about the possible impact of other strains discovered in South Africa and Brazil, and whether these variants might impact on the effectiveness of vaccines which are seen as key to Britain's way out from strict lockdown measures.

The country has the fifth worst death toll in the world from the pandemic, with 98,531 people dying within 28 days of a positive test, and one of the deepest economic contractions on record.

The BBC reported that the new hotel quarantine requirement would mean arrivals from most of Southern Africa and South America, as well as Portugal, would have to isolate in a hotel for 10 days.

It said there had been 'no definitive decision yet' on those coming from other parts of the world and this was 'still a live issue'. Johnson will chair a meeting with senior ministers on the decision later on Tuesday.

The measures, which would be among the strictest in Europe if introduced, have alarmed the travel industry which is already fighting for survival.

"Let's hope it's for as few markets as possible because quite frankly tourism has already been decimated this year and really this is the last thing we need," Joss Croft, chief executive of UKinbound, which represents Britain's tourism sector, told the BBC.

Zahawi also said the public should not be booking holidays abroad for this summer agreeing it was "absolutely" too soon to do so.

"I think it's far too early," he told Sky News. "There's still 37,000 people in hospital with Covid at the moment, it's far too early for us to even speculate about the summer."

Engine maker Rolls-Royce cut its forecasts for the timing of a recovery on Tuesday due to measures designed to contain the new variants.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less