Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK may deport chef wrongly branded as sex offender

A BANGLADESHI who was wrongly identified as a sex offender may be asked to leave the UK.

Saiful Islam, 44, is facing the threat of removal from Britain despite court ruling that the authorities wrongly linked the Asian with three other people’s criminal records.


British officials were also unable to produce any proof to show any wrongdoings by the south Asian during court proceedings against him.

Islam has no criminal convictions after he reached the UK in 2003 to work for a restaurant with valid legal documents.

The south Asian was threatened with removal from the UK after two restaurants exploited him by withholding bulk of payments and forcing him to work for over 17 hours in a day, along with physical harassment.

The chef has undergone a long legal battle with 18 court cases for over a decade in a bid to prove his innocence and the right to remain in the UK.

In the latest development, on December 20, 2019, a court rejected Islam’s right to remain in the UK.

The court’s ruling came despite the finding that the Home Office wrongly served him with a notice curtailing his visa in 2005.

The court also failed to consider that he was wrongly linked with other people’s criminal convictions.

The upper tribunal Judge Jackson of the immigration chamber identified a number of errors on the part of the Home Office.

He noted that issues with a work permit application made by another employer on Islam’s behalf in 2008 meant that he did not qualify for leave to remain in the UK.

The officials argued the chef had entered the country illegally despite having valid documents.

Meanwhile, Home Office officials issued a full apology to Islam in 2019.

The Home Office stated in an email to him that he had been wrongly recorded as a sex offender.

The electronic communication from the British officials further admitted that police national computer checks on Islam’s file pertained to three other people.

Islam said: “The Home Office has treated me worse than a dog. I am a victim of a scandal and of race discrimination. I have lost so many years, I’ve lost my health, I’ve lost so much money. I’ll never get this time back but I’m determined to fight on.”

Home Office said it can’t comment on Islam’s case at the current stage.

Despite moves to ask him to leave Britain, the Home Office has also offered £5,000 compensation to Islam for its errors.

More For You

Labour MPs Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones marry in multicultural wedding

Louise Jones and Jeevun Sandher (Photo: Facebook)

Labour MPs Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones marry in multicultural wedding

TWO of Labour’s newest MPs, Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones, have announced their marriage after a week-long celebration that combined Sikh and Christian traditions.

Sandher, elected last year as MP for Loughborough, and Jones, MP for North East Derbyshire, tied the knot earlier this month in ceremonies that reflected their different cultural backgrounds. The couple shared photographs on social media, calling the occasion a celebration of “two heritages” as they began their life together.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK sees sharp increase in sex crime convictions of Indian nationals

Figures show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024 (Photo:iStock)

UK sees sharp increase in sex crime convictions of Indian nationals

INDIAN nationals have recorded the sharpest increase in convictions for sexual offences among foreign nationals in the UK, according to an analysis of official government data.

Figures from the UK Ministry of Justice, based on the Police National Computer and assessed by the Centre for Migration Control (CMC), show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024. The number of cases rose from 28 in 2021 to 100 last year — an increase of 72 cases.

Keep ReadingShow less
pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

Narendra Modi addresses the audience during the launch of Maruti Suzuki's new assembly line for the Suzuki e-Vitara, Maruti's first electric car, at the Hansalpur plant, some 80 km from Ahmedabad, in India's Gujarat state on August 26, 2025. (Photo by SAM PANTHAKY/AFP via Getty Images)

Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi heads overseas on Thursday (28) to meet the leaders of China, Japan and Russia, seeking to build closer diplomatic ties as New Delhi battles fallout from US president Donald Trump's escalating tariff offensive.

By drawing nearer to some of the world’s largest economies, including his first visit to China in seven years, Modi hopes to to boost support for his flagship "Make in India" initiative, mainly from Japan, as Trump's measures spur new partnerships.

Keep ReadingShow less
house rent

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

iStock

UK landlords could face new tax in autumn budget

THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

Keep ReadingShow less