Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sri Lanka to sell loss-making port to China

Sri Lanka hopes to sell part of its loss-making $1.4 billion (£1.2bn) harbour to a Chinese company in January to help pay off crippling debts, the ports minister said on Wednesday (December 14).

Arjuna Ranatunga said talks were under way with China Merchants Port Holdings to transfer an 80 per cent stake in the Hambantota port on a long lease.


“We hope to be able to raise about $1.12 billion and a deal could be struck by the first week of January,” Ranatunga told reporters in Colombo.

The new government, which came to power in January last year, has been trying to renegotiate terms of its $8bn (£6.4bn) Chinese debt, which includes the construction costs of the Hambantota port.

The former administration relied heavily on China to build ports, highways and railways as Western nations shunned it over its dismal human rights record.

The new government secured a $1.5bn bailout from the International Monetary Fund in June after facing a balance of payments crisis and has also negotiated cheaper funding from international lenders.

Ranatunga said the Chinese had initially wanted the port on a 199-year lease.

“First they wanted it for 199 years, then brought it down to 99 years, but I am thinking around 50 years,” he said, adding that a final agreement could be signed in January.

Some 480 temporary dock workers at the port in Hambantota, 240 kilometres (150 miles) south of Colombo, have been on strike since December 6, demanding that they be absorbed into the main port-owning company ahead of any sale to the Chinese.

Sri Lanka’s navy opened fire at the port on Saturday to disperse strikers who had blocked a Japanese vehicle carrier from leaving the port.

The minister said the strikers had also sabotaged facilities at the port, where there were currently no foreign vessels.

More For You

 Elon Musk

Elon Musk is expected to retain near-total control even after the stock market debut

Getty Images

SpaceX IPO ahead; Elon Musk all set to turn trillionaire on June 12

  • SpaceX’s public filing shows a company betting heavily on artificial intelligence beyond rockets and satellites.
  • Elon Musk is expected to retain near-total control even after the stock market debut.
  • Massive losses, legal troubles and AI risks are emerging just as investors prepare for one of the biggest IPOs in history.

After operating largely behind closed doors for nearly 24 years, SpaceX has finally opened its books to the public as it prepares for a historic stock market debut that could reshape both Wall Street and the technology sector.

The highly anticipated SpaceX IPO, reportedly targeted for June 12 under the ticker symbol “SPCX”, is already being viewed as one of the biggest moments in US market history. Reports suggest the company could enter public markets with a valuation close to £928 billion ($1.25 trillion), potentially making it the first trillion-dollar public listing ever.

Keep ReadingShow less