Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sharma targets stateside success

TOP Indian golfer Shubhankar Sharma believes he has the game to be a multiple winner on the PGA Tour and it is just a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’, the 22-year-old said.

Nine years after Arjun Atwal became the first Indian winner on the PGA Tour at the Wyndham Championship, Sharma finds himself under a burden of similar expectations following a fairytale 2018.


The Chandigarh golfer won the Maybank Championship in January last year, a month after

his Joburg Open triumph, and turned heads in his very first PGA Tour event, holding the

second and third round leads at the WGC-Mexico Championship.

The title eventually eluded him after a final round 74, but Sharma cherishes the experience

and is convinced that his success in golf’s elite league is just a matter of time.

“PGA Tour is the best tour in the world and it’s a no-brainer,” said the winner of the 2018 Asian Tour order of merit title.

“It has been a fabulous experience with them till now. I will love tovplay there as and when I get there.

“As for winning, yes, I definitely have the game and will win there many times. I do not want to force the issue. Let it come. It’s just a matter of time. It can happen even next week. So let’s see.”

Sharma had a busy 2018 when he crisscrossed the world to tee up in 33 events, including all four World Golf Championships and the majors.

“Last year has been a whirlwind, a maddening world tour, so to say. I basically could not refuse any of the events I played,” Sharma said. “I was spread out on three tours and I had some goals to be achieved.

“This year things are much more settled. I am concentrating mainly on the European Tour with a few big events thrown in. I will place myself so that I can give my best on the field.”

He added: “All targets are achievable. One thing I want to play in 2019 is the Presidents

Cup because that will happen only this year.”

More For You

Ken Tranter

Ken Tranter was elected Hampshire county councillor for Aldershot South on May 7.

Reform UK

Reform councillor apologises after ‘non white persons’ post sparks backlash

A NEWLY elected Reform councillor in Hampshire has apologised after a Facebook post about “non white persons taking over” a public park sparked criticism and accusations of racism.

Ken Tranter, who was elected Hampshire county councillor for Aldershot South on May 7, wrote that he had spoken to police about “non white persons taking over the Municipal Gardens and the strong pervading smell of canabis [sic]”.

Tranter, an army veteran who served 29 years in the regular and Territorial Army and later became mayor of Dover between 2005 and 2006, said he had promised residents he would raise concerns about the park if elected, reported The Times.

Keep ReadingShow less