Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rohit Shetty: A cop film will always be compared to Dabangg and Singham

Director Rohit Shetty says cop films such as Dabangg and Singham have set the bar so high with their box office success and popularity that it is obvious for any police-centric movie to be compared with them.

The filmmaker, whose next project Simmba will see Ranveer Singh don the khakhi uniform as Sangram Bhalerao, said he is confident the film will be original in its character.


"What usually happens is that Chulbul Pandey and Singham have become the iconic characters. When we were making Singham, a lot of people told us are 'you trying to make a Dabangg kind of a film', but the film has its own identity.

"This will always happen. Whenever a cop film will be made people will either draw comparisons with Dabangg or Singham. If the look and part is serious then Singham, if entertaining then Chulbul Pandey. Our cop (Ranveer) is not a Chulbul Pandey kind of a character," Shetty said, who has directed Singham and Singham Returns.

While Dabangg and Singham have mushroomed into a franchise in the action-drama series, the director said it is too early to say the same about Simmba.

"Let's see how the first one does (referring to its commercial success). The first one has to work and then we will think (for the second one)."

Presented by Reliance Entertainment, the film is produced by Rohit Shetty Picturez and Karan Johar's Dharma Productions.

Simmba is the first collaboration among the three top guns of Bollywood.

"Ranveer is a unique personality. With Rohit, he will make his own character. There is no actor like him that I have seen so far. He is an energy ball, the way he will explode is going to be good. I don't think anyone would show the explosion like him on screen," Johar said.

Meanwhile, the director-producer duo will be seen judging India's Next Superstars, which goes on air from January 13 on Star Plus.

The tagline of the show is Na Khaandan Na Sifaarish (Neither family line nor recommendation).

Asked if this is an answer to the nepotism debate, Johar said, "It's better if I don't speak anything. I have already said a lot of things on the topic."

Shetty, however, believes some words make headlines.

"Two years back intolerance was the word, now there is nepotism. It will fade out in sometime. If a reporter and I know each other and that reporter refers his son or siblings who want to assist me and I can help them, there is no harm in it. If there is no talent in him or her, they will be able to do only one film.

"If Karan had no talent he would not have reached this far. There is no harm in giving anyone an opportunity," he said.

More For You

DDLJ director Aditya Chopra earns UK Stage Debut Awards nod for 'Come Fall in Love'

Aditya Chopra (right) with his father, Yash Chopra

YRF

DDLJ director Aditya Chopra earns UK Stage Debut Awards nod for 'Come Fall in Love'

BOLLYWOOD filmmaker Aditya Chopra was last Thursday (21) named among the nominees of the UK Stage Debut Awards for his Come Fall in LoveThe DDLJ Musical, performed at Manchester’s Opera House earlier this year.

Chopra delivered a blockbuster in 1995 with Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, popular as DDLJ, with Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan in the lead roles. It was adapted to a theatrical production and had its UK premiere in May.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Alford

The case continues at St Albans Crown Court

PA

Actor John Alford on trial for alleged abuse of minors, says he was targeted for extortion

Highlights:

  • John Alford, 53, is accused of sexually abusing two girls aged 14 and 15 at a Hertfordshire party in 2022.
  • Charges include sexual activity with a child, sexual assault and assault by penetration.
  • Prosecutors allege both girls were drunk when the incidents occurred.
  • Alford, whose real name is John Shannon, denies all allegations.
  • The trial is taking place at St Albans Crown Court.

Former London’s Burning actor John Alford is on trial accused of sexually abusing two teenage girls at a house party in Hertfordshire on 9 April 2022.

The 53-year-old, from Holloway, north London, faces four counts of sexual activity with a 14-year-old and two charges involving a 15-year-old girl, including sexual assault and assault by penetration. He has denied all the charges.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hyundai fraud case SRK Deepika

Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone have been listed in the complaint as brand ambassadors of Hyundai

Getty Images

Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone named in fraud case linked to Hyundai car defects

Highlights:

  • An FIR has been registered in Bharatpur against Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone and Hyundai officials.
  • A local resident alleges his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, bought in 2022, developed major defects.
  • The case includes fraud and conspiracy charges under IPC and Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
  • Both actors, Hyundai brand ambassadors, are accused of misleading consumers.
  • Neither Shah Rukh Khan nor Deepika Padukone’s teams have responded yet.

Legal case filed in Bharatpur

Bollywood actors Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone are facing legal trouble after an FIR was filed against them in Bharatpur, Rajasthan. The complaint, registered on 25 August at Mathura Gate police station, also names six Hyundai officials.

The case stems from allegations made by Kirti Singh, a Bharatpur resident, who claimed his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, purchased in 2022 for more than ₹23 lakh, developed serious technical issues within months. He further alleged that repeated attempts to get the company to address the problems were unsuccessful.

Keep ReadingShow less
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce

Swift’s choice of So High School—widely believed to be inspired by Kelce—added a personal touch

Instagram/ taylorswift

Taylor Swift announces engagement to Travis Kelce with playful message to fans

Highlights:

  • Taylor Swift announced engagement to American footballer Travis Kelce via Instagram.
  • Kelce proposed in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, surrounded by floral displays.
  • Swift showcased a cushion-cut diamond ring from Artifex Fine Jewellery.
  • Fans and celebrities, including the Prince and Princess of Wales, reacted with excitement.

Taylor Swift confirms engagement with Instagram Post

Taylor Swift has announced her engagement to American football player Travis Kelce, sharing the news on Instagram with a carousel of images and the caption: “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married.” The post, accompanied by her ballad So High School, quickly went viral, gaining more than 18 million likes within hours.

The photos show Kelce on one knee, Swift wearing a Ralph Lauren halter-neck dress and a Cartier watch, and the singer flashing her cushion-cut diamond engagement ring. According to reports, the ring was purchased from Artifex Fine Jewellery, with prices beginning at around $29,000 (£21,500).

Keep ReadingShow less
Lilly Singh reveals she’s been diagnosed with ovarian cysts
Lilly Singh reveals she’s been diagnosed with ovarian cysts
Getty Images

Lilly Singh joins Netflix’s Bollywood dance film 'Best of the Best'

NETFLIX has expanded its cast for Best of the Best, a coming-of-age film set around competitive Bollywood dancing, with comedian Lilly Singh joining in.

Hasan Minhaj and Prashanth Venkataramanujam have penned the story, about what happens when two childhood friends join the Bollywood dance team at their college. Minhaj will also act.

Keep ReadingShow less