Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Paul Chowdhry’s father Darshan Singh Chowdhry passes away

Paul Chowdhry’s father Darshan Singh Chowdhry passes away

Award-winning English stand-up comedian and actor Paul Chowdhry’s father Darshan Singh Chowdhry passed away on Wednesday, May 4th.

Chowdhry took to social media to share a touching post remembering his father. “On Wednesday, May 4th, my father transcended from his mortal life, leaving an incomparable legacy,” he wrote.


In his tribute, he wrote, “The King

My father was the kind of man they don't make anymore, a king amongst men, and an openly proud Sikh who, in 1964, with just a suitcase, emigrated to England from Punjab.

England was a very different place for immigrants then, with a backdrop of growing racial tension, typified in 1968 by Enoch Powell's infamous 'Rivers of Blood' speech. In India, my father survived British rule and the subsequent partition, which resulted in him losing close relatives during the bloody civil violence that followed and affected millions.

Despite these challenges, with his sheer determination and endurance, he arrived on these shores with love in his heart and worked several jobs, every day of the week, just to bring his immediate and extended family to England.

Generations wouldn't be here without him.

I wouldn't be here without him.

My father’s strength and resolve are unparalleled to me. When I lost my mother to cancer at the age of five, he single-handedly stepped up as a single parent and kept me going. Later, I was lucky enough to have a second mother, whom we also lost during the pandemic. Having lost my two Queens, it was only my King who got me through the anger and emotional torment.

My father survived racist attacks yet he never held a grudge and was forgiving to all. He was simply proud to be a part of this nation.

He saved the lives of his brothers and carried the scars on his face throughout his life. The police never found the attackers yet, once again, my father never held a grudge. He was selfless and altruistic - qualities I wish I had in his abundance. Yet I know I am still a work in progress, still trying to find my way to his level of compassion.

On Wednesday, May 4th, my father transcended from his mortal life, leaving an incomparable legacy.

My father was my world, soulmate, mentor…and best friend. I am indebted to him for the life I have.

Now, I feel so alone.

However, I am a part of him and I will do my best, with the courage I’ve hopefully inherited, to keep making him proud. When my time comes, perhaps I will leave this earth with just a fraction of his strength.

I am often asked what my parents said when I told them I wanted to be a comedian. The answer is they supported me all the way and my father was my biggest inspiration.

Darshan Singh Chowdhry was an icon with the charisma and coolness of a film star. He believed in equality for all, an everyman who was able to connect with others through his sincerity and infectious smile. He was a wonderful father to me.

I’m finding the heartbreak so difficult because the love was so strong.

My father’s send-off is this Friday, May 13th.

Paul Chowdhry x

Waheguru.”

More For You

Heidi Klum

Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival

Instagram/heidiklum

Heidi Klum Venice Film Festival look with daughter Leni reignites criticism over mother-daughter lingerie fashion partnership

Highlights:

  • Heidi Klum and daughter Leni walked the Venice Film Festival red carpet in matching corset-style gowns.
  • The supermodel opted for a blush pink silk design, while Leni wore an inky black version.
  • Both gowns were created by Italian lingerie brand Intimissimi, for which they are ambassadors.
  • The mother-daughter duo previously fronted a controversial campaign for the same brand.

Heidi Klum's Venice Film Festival appearances always generate headlines, but this year she doubled the impact by walking the red carpet with her daughter Leni. The pair stunned in co-ordinated gowns from Italian intimates brand Intimissimi, bringing high fashion and red carpet glamour together in one of the festival’s most talked-about moments. Their matching corset silhouettes highlighted the duo’s modelling credentials and added a striking family twist to the opening night of the prestigious event.

Heidi Klum Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival Instagram/heidiklum

Keep ReadingShow less
Ahaan Panday

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara

Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Ahaan Panday says Bollywood wronged him and admits he was delusional before 'Saiyaara' broke box office records

Highlights:

  • Ahaan Panday opens up on being ‘wronged’ before his Bollywood debut
  • Actor admits he spent years in ‘blind optimism’ waiting for launch
  • Saiyaara has become the highest-grossing love story in Indian cinema history
  • The Mohit Suri directorial collected £53 million (₹563 crore) worldwide

Bollywood newcomer Ahaan Panday has revealed that he felt “wronged” by people in the industry before finally making his long-awaited debut with Mohit Suri’s Saiyaara. The 27-year-old actor, who comes from the well-known Panday family, said he lived in “blind optimism” for four to five years as projects kept falling through. Despite setbacks, Ahaan maintained that he never became bitter and channelled his struggles into his performance.

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Keep ReadingShow less
Alison Balsom retirement

Alison Balsom prepares for her final bow at the Last Night Of The Proms 2025

Getty Images

Alison Balsom retirement confirmed as Proms star quits after saying trumpet career feels unsustainable with family life

Highlights:

  • Trumpeter Alison Balsom confirms retirement after 40 years of performing
  • Her final concert will be the Last Night of the Proms 2025 on 13 September
  • She will play the Hummel Trumpet Concerto in E flat major for her farewell
  • The 46-year-old OBE winner cites family and intensity of touring as reasons

Classical trumpeter Alison Balsom retirement news has been confirmed, with the British musician set to step away from performing after one last appearance at the Last Night of the Proms. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s This Cultural Life, she revealed her “last night on stage” will be marked by playing the Hummel Trumpet Concerto, a work she has championed throughout her career. Married to filmmaker Sir Sam Mendes, Balsom said the decision was shaped by her family life and the unsustainable demands of constant touring.

Alison Balsom retirement Alison Balsom prepares for her final bow at the Last Night Of The Proms 2025 Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Highlights:

  • Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
  • Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
  • Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
  • Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes

Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.

The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art

Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Highlights:

  • Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
  • Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
  • Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
  • Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet

Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Keep ReadingShow less