Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Pakistan to receive 13 million doses of Pfizer vaccine by year end

Pakistan to receive 13 million doses of Pfizer vaccine by year end

PAKISTAN will procure 13 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer, the country's health minister Faisal Sultan said on Tuesday (22).

He said the doses will arrive by the end of 2021 under an agreement the government has made with the manufacturer.


Pakistan faced initial vaccination hesitancy and a shortage of jabs, but it started a mass immunisation campaign in late May which is now open to all adults. It has relied heavily on its ally China for vaccine supplies.

On May 29, Pakistan received 100,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine through the Covax facility, but authorities administered the jab to only those people who are immunocompromised and who are not suitable candidates for other vaccines.

Nearly 13 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been administered in the country of 220 million people so far, with about 3.5 million people fully vaccinated, according to the National Command Operation Centre, which is overseeing the pandemic response.

Pakistan has primarily used Chinese vaccines - Sinopharm, CanSinoBio and Sinovac - in its inoculation drive. Earlier this month, authorities allowed those under 40 years of age to receive AstraZeneca jabs, of which it has a limited supply; it is meant for people travelling abroad.

Pakistan also approved spending $1.1 billion (£790 million) on procuring vaccines as part of its goal to inoculate at least 70 million people.

Pakistan has registered 949,838 cases of coronavirus infections and 22,034 deaths so far. On Monday, 663 new infections and 27 deaths were reported.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less