Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing.

pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.


“I want to thank the Supreme Court,” said 45-year-old Eakadasa Baba, who travelled from India on a pilgrimage to the temple. “It does not mean we roam around the city or villages without clothes. We remain unclothed only in our own place, within the temple,” he added.

The case arose from a petition seeking to stop their temple entry, claiming their nudity disturbed other devotees. The court dismissed it, saying: “Nudity and obscenity are not the same. Nudity, when practised as part of religious or cultural tradition, cannot automatically be considered offensive.”

The judgment, issued last year, was published this week, court spokesperson Nirajan Pandey said.

Hundreds of Naga sadhus visit Kathmandu every year for the Maha Shivaratri festival at Pashupatinath. Many stay on at the temple after the event, which is held in February or March. The temple provides food and a travel allowance to the sadhus.

Rajendra Giri, a 51-year-old Nepali Naga sadhu, said their tradition does not “disturb” anyone.

“They have designated spaces and follow strict disciplines,” cultural historian Govinda Tandon said. “As the court rightly noted, their nudity is not obscenity, it’s a core part of the Naga tradition.”

The court said banning their entry would violate national and international protections of religious freedom.

(With inputs from agencies)

More For You

Bangladesh-protests-Getty

Anti-government protesters display Bangladesh’s national flag at Sheikh Hasina’s palace in Dhaka last year. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Bangladesh Election Commission announces roadmap for February polls

BANGLADESH’s Election Commission (EC) on Thursday released a roadmap for the general election, expected to be held in February next year.

The poll schedule will be announced at least 60 days before the voting date, officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-japan

Modi is on a two-day visit to Japan from August 29 to 30. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

X/@narendramodi

India, Japan to expand partnership; Modi to meet Xi, Putin next

Highlights:

  • Modi says India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century”
  • Japan to announce $68 billion investment in India over 10 years
  • Modi to attend SCO summit in China, meet Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin
  • India and Japan to deepen cooperation in trade, technology and security

PRIME MINISTER Narendra Modi on Thursday said India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century,” as he began a two-nation visit that will also take him to China for the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

Ranil Wickremesinghe with his wife Maithree

Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

THREE former presidents of Sri Lanka expressed solidarity with jailed ex-leader Ranil Wickremesinghe last Sunday (24) and condemned his incarceration as a “calculated assault” on democracy.

The former political rivals of Wickremesinghe, who was president between July 2022 and September 2024, said the charges against him were frivolous and politically motivated.

Keep ReadingShow less
H1B programme

US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Trump team plans changes to student visas, H1B programme and Green Card process

Highlights:

  • DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
  • F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
  • Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
  • Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil

THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Vantara

Inaugurated last year by prime minister Narendra Modi, the sanctuary reportedly houses over 10,000 animals from 330 species, including tigers, elephants, Komodo dragons, and giant anteaters.

X/@narendramodi

India’s top court orders probe into Ambani family’s zoo project

INDIA’s Supreme Court has ordered an investigation into allegations of illegal animal imports and financial irregularities at Vantara, a private zoo run by Anant Ambani, son of Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani.

Vantara describes itself as the “world’s biggest wild animal rescue centre” and is located in Gujarat. According to India’s Central Zoo Authority, it houses more than 200 elephants, 50 bears, 160 tigers, 200 lions, 250 leopards and 900 crocodiles, along with other species.

Keep ReadingShow less