Skip to content 
Search

Latest Stories

Narendra Modi calls for an end to attacks on low-caste Indians

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for a end to the attacks on low-caste Indians, seeking to defuse mounting anger among Dalits over the public flogging of four villagers by cow-protection vigilantes.

On Sunday Modi described the ongoing exploitation of Dalits, who lie at the bottom of India’s deeply entrenched social hierarchal system, as shameful.


“Why should we exploit our Dalit brothers? What right do we have for such behaviour?” Modi said to workers of his Hindu nationalist party in the southern city of Hyderabad.

“It is our responsibility to protect and respect the persons from society’s lowest rung.”

Modi has faced criticism for remaining silent over the attack on the villagers last month by so-called cow-defenders in his home state of Gujarat.

Footage showed four half-naked men tied to a car as the activists took turns to thrash them with belts and batons at a crowded marketplace.

Video of the beating of the four Dalits—who were taking a dead cow to be skinned—went viral on social media. Violent protests erupted over the attack late last month, leaving one police officer dead.

Dalit activists have said the unrest reflects deep frustration after years of discrimination by those from higher castes.

Experts say their anger could harm Modi’s party’s chances at elections next year in three key states, where Dalits make up a sizeable chunk of voters.

“Don’t attack any Dalits. Shoot me if you have to, but not the Dalits,” Modi said late Sunday.

“Attack me, but not them. Don’t harm them. This game must end.”

The comments come the day after the premier also broke his silence on the self-styled cow defenders, saying any vigilantes should be prosecuted

Modi repeated his comments on Sunday, telling a rally they were simply trying to divide India.

“I want to ask the state governments to identify such men and take strict action against them,” he said.

Cows are considered sacred by Hindus and killing them is banned in most Indian states.

Formerly known as “untouchables,” Dalits are commonly tasked with removing the corpses of dead cows from streets, where the animals often roam freely.

Attacks by vigilante groups on cow traders and smugglers have increased since Hindu nationalist Modi won power in 2014.

At least five Muslim men were killed last year by Hindu mobs on suspicion of eating beef or smuggling cows across the country

More For You

Starmer-Getty

Starmer is facing a Labour backbench revolt over plans to reform special needs support in schools without guaranteeing existing legal rights. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images)

Starmer faces Labour pushback over SEND reform plans

KEIR STARMER is facing a backlash from Labour MPs over plans to reform special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) support, after ministers stopped short of guaranteeing legal rights for parents.

Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson said the government was committed to reforming the current system, which costs £12 billion a year. However, she did not confirm if legally enforceable rights, such as those provided by education, health and care plans (EHCPs), would remain.

Keep ReadingShow less
Heavy rain and thunderstorms hit London

Londoners faced a wet and stormy start to the week

iStock

Heavy rain and thunderstorms hit London before 30°C heatwave

Key points

  • Heavy rain and thunderstorms drench London at the start of the week
  • Temperatures set to rise with highs of 31°C expected by Thursday
  • Heatwave could be declared by Friday if warm conditions persist
  • Night-time temperatures to remain high, increasing discomfort
  • UV and pollen levels forecast to be very high across the south

Thunderstorms soak London before summer heat returns

Londoners faced a wet and stormy start to the week as heavy rain and overnight thunderstorms swept through the capital. Monday morning saw widespread downpours, leaving commuters reaching for umbrellas and Wimbledon ticket hopefuls queuing in ponchos.

The unsettled conditions followed a burst of thunderstorms on Sunday afternoon and continued into the early hours of Monday, prompting caution across the city. The Met Office has not issued a formal weather warning for thunderstorms, but conditions remain unstable.

Keep ReadingShow less
National Trust sets vision to heal
nature and engage more Asians

Lisa Nandy, Steve Reed, René Olivieri and Hilary McGrady at a National Trust event marking its 130th anniversary

National Trust sets vision to heal nature and engage more Asians

THE National Trust, which is seeking to broaden its appeal to British Asians, is marking its 130th anniversary with a renewed commitment to restoring nature and widening access under a 10-year strategy.

Its director-general, Hilary McGrady, also aims to inspire more people to get involved in caring for the country’s natural resources.

Keep ReadingShow less
 7/7 bombings

The King said the public should draw on the 'extraordinary courage and compassion' shown in response to the attacks. (Photo credit: X/@RoyalFamily)

Starmer and King Charles pay tribute on 20th anniversary of 7/7 bombings

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer and King Charles on Monday paid tribute to the unity shown in the aftermath of the 7 July bombings in London, as the country marked 20 years since the attacks.

On 7 July 2005, four Islamist extremists carried out suicide bombings at Aldgate Station, Edgware Road, King's Cross and Tavistock Square. The attacks killed 52 people and injured hundreds more.

Keep ReadingShow less
Navroop Singh

Navroop Singh was convicted of five charges including rape and was sentenced on July 4 at Isleworth Crown Court. (Photo credit: Metropolitan Police)

Man jailed for life over rape and attempted rape in west London

A 24-year-old man has been sentenced to life in prison for rape, attempted rape and firearm offences following a Metropolitan Police investigation in west London.

Navroop Singh, of Mellow Lane East, Hayes, was convicted of five charges including rape and was sentenced on Friday, July 4 at Isleworth Crown Court. He must serve a minimum of 14 years.

Keep ReadingShow less