Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Moeen Ali reveals he was called 'Osama' by Australian player

Cricket Australia are to seek clarification from their English counterparts about an incident in which England all-rounder Moeen Ali says he was called "Osama" by an Australian player during an Ashes test in 2015.

Moeen, who is a Muslim, made the allegation in his autobiography, which is being serialised in The Times newspaper, saying the apparent reference to Islamist militant Osama bin Laden came during his Ashes debut in Cardiff.


"An Australian player ... turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'," he recalled. "I could not believe what I had heard. I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think (England coach) Trevor Bayliss must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, the Australians' coach. Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen 'Osama'?". He denied it, saying, "No, I said: 'Take that, you part-timer'.

"... obviously I had to take the player's word for it, though for the rest of the match I was angry."

Moeen, who scored 92 runs and took five wickets as England won the match on their way to series triumph, said he spoke to the Australian at the end of the series and received another denial that the player had used the word "Osama".

A Cricket Australia official told the cricket.com.au website on Saturday that the body would seek "further clarification" from the England and Wales Cricket Board "as a matter of urgency".

"Remarks of this nature are unacceptable and have no place in our sport, or in society," the official said.

"We have a clear set of values and behaviours that comes with representing our country. We take this matter very seriously ... "

Moeen, who endured a miserable 2017-18 Ashes series Down Under, said in another extract from the book that he had no sympathy for the three Australian cricketers banned earlier this year and found the whole team "rude".

Australian captain Steve Smith, vice-captain David Warner and batsman Cameron Bancroft were banned for lengthy spells after a ball-tampering scandal during a test in South Africa.

More For You

Daniel Day-Lewis Anemone

Daniel Day-Lewis returns to the big screen in Anemone after eight years

Getty Images/Instagram/anemonemovie

Daniel Day-Lewis comeback film ‘Anemone’ sparks “nepo baby” debate as trailer reveals dark family drama

Highlights:

  • First trailer for Anemone shows Daniel Day-Lewis returning to screen after eight years
  • The family drama is directed by his son Ronan Day-Lewis and co-stars Sean Bean and Samantha Morton
  • The film premieres at the New York Film Festival in September before releasing in cinemas on 3 October
  • Produced by Brad Pitt’s Plan B and Focus Features, the film explores fractured family ties and past trauma

Daniel Day-Lewis has officially ended his eight-year retirement with the release of the Anemone trailer, marking his long-awaited screen comeback. The three-time Oscar winner last appeared in Phantom Thread (2017), after which he announced he would no longer act. With Anemone, directed by his son Ronan Day-Lewis, he returns in a brooding family drama set in Northern England that also features Sean Bean and Samantha Morton.

Daniel Day-Lewis Anemone Daniel Day-Lewis returns to the big screen in Anemone after eight years Getty Images/Instagram/anemonemovie

Keep ReadingShow less
London-tube-Getty

Members of the public outside Whitechapel Underground Station on February 12, 2025 in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

London Tube staff to hold seven-day strike in September

LONDON Underground staff will stage a series of rolling strikes for seven days next month in a dispute over pay and working conditions, the RMT union said on Thursday.

The walkouts will begin on September 5 and involve different groups of staff taking action at different times. The dispute covers pay, shift patterns, fatigue management and plans for a shorter working week, according to the RMT.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sydney Sweeney bathwater

Sydney Sweeney says her bathwater soap faced harsher criticism than Jacob Elordi’s Saltburn candle

Instagram/ SydneySweeney/ Getty Images

Sydney Sweeney blasts double standards saying women slammed her bathwater soap while Jacob Elordi’s Saltburn bathwater was praised

Highlights:

  • Sydney Sweeney defended her controversial bathwater soap, Sydney’s Bathwater Bliss, in a new interview.
  • The Euphoria star compared criticism she faced to the praise Jacob Elordi’s bathwater candle received.
  • The limited-edition soap sold out in seconds despite online backlash.
  • Sweeney also addressed the outrage over her American Eagle “great jeans” campaign.

Sydney Sweeney has spoken out about the backlash she faced for her bathwater soap, saying that criticism mostly came from women. The Euphoria actor launched Sydney’s Bathwater Bliss in collaboration with men’s grooming brand Dr. Squatch earlier this year, but the product sparked a wave of online debate. In a new interview, she said it was “really interesting” that while her soap was mocked, fans had loved the idea of Jacob Elordi’s bathwater candle inspired by his Saltburn role.

Sydney Sweeney bathwater Sydney Sweeney says her bathwater soap faced harsher criticism than Jacob Elordi’s Saltburn candle Instagram/ SydneySweeney/ Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
UK-protests-Getty

Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Immigration: Labour will appeal ruling over aslyum seekers in hotels

MINISTERS will appeal a court decision earlier this week that barred the UK government from accommodating asylum seekers in a hotel, security minister Dan Jarvis said on Friday (22).

The high court on Tuesday (19) granted a temporary injunction to stop migrants from staying at the Bell Hotel in Epping, northeast of London, following several weeks of protests outside the hotel, some of them violent.

Keep ReadingShow less
​OpenAI

OpenAI is facing legal challenges in India, with publishers and news outlets accusing it of using their content without permission to train ChatGPT. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

OpenAI to set up first India office in New Delhi this year

OPENAI, the company behind ChatGPT, will open its first India office in New Delhi later this year as it expands in its second-largest market by user numbers.

The Microsoft-backed firm has been registered as a legal entity in India and has started hiring for a local team, the company said in a statement shared with Reuters on Friday.

Keep ReadingShow less