Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Man arrested in Gloucestershire over drowning of 27 migrants in Channel last year

France is seeking the extradition of Harem Ahmed Abwbaker who is believed to have played a key role in organising the fatal trip.

Man arrested in Gloucestershire over drowning of 27 migrants in Channel last year

Britain’s National Crime Agency (NCA) has arrested a man over the deaths of 27 migrants who drowned attempting to cross the English Channel in a dinghy more than a year ago.

Harem Ahmed Abwbaker, who is believed to have played a key role in organising the fatal trip on November 23 last year was detained in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire on Tuesday morning, the agency said.

The small inflatable boat sank after leaving a beach near the northern French city of Dunkirk, leading to the death of all but two of those aboard.

French fishing boat crew reported bodies in the water some nine miles off the Calais coast the following day.

The fate of four other people on board the sunken vessel is still not known.

French authorities are seeking the extradition of Abwbaker, 32, who could face charges equivalent to manslaughter and facilitating illegal immigration.

His extradition proceedings will take place in Westminster Magistrates’ court, said the NCA whose officers are working closely with their partners across the Channel.

Craig Turner, NCA Deputy Director, said the “significant arrest” was part of extensive inquiries into the events leading to the tragic deaths.

He said the agency would do everything it could to get justice for the families of the deceased and dismantle the organised criminal networks involved in people smuggling.

Home Secretary Suella Braverman said her thoughts continued to be with the families of all of those who lost their lives in the “horrendous incident.”

She thanked the NCA and other agencies in the UK and France for their “tireless work” to ensure those responsible would feel the “full force of the law.”

Britain’s Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) which is probing the incident said UK officials did not initially take any action on the disaster as it was “assessed to fall outside its jurisdiction” in French waters.

But it later “became evident that some of the events relating to this loss of life had occurred inside UK waters”, the MAIB said in its interim report.

More For You

ChatGPT

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday

iStock

'ChatGPT encouraged him to take his life': Parents of Adam Raine sue OpenAI

Highlights:

  • Matt and Maria Raine have filed a lawsuit against OpenAI following the death of their 16-year-old son, Adam.
  • The suit claims ChatGPT validated the teenager’s suicidal thoughts and failed to intervene appropriately.
  • OpenAI expressed sympathy and said it is reviewing the case.
  • The company admitted its systems have not always behaved as intended in sensitive situations.

A California couple has launched legal action against OpenAI, alleging its chatbot ChatGPT played a role in their teenage son’s suicide.

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday, accusing the company of negligence and wrongful death. Their 16-year-old son, Adam, died in April 2025. It is the first known lawsuit of its kind against the artificial intelligence firm.

Keep ReadingShow less
Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures
Elon Musk (Photo: Reuters)

Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures

US tech billionaire Elon Musk has said he will help fund legal cases against officials he believes turned a blind eye to child sexual abuse. His intervention follows a private investigation revealing that such abuse has occurred in 85 local authorities across Britain, reported the Telegraph.

Musk posted on X that he wants to “fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain,” referencing findings from an unofficial inquiry. He encouraged victims and their families to get in touch directly through the platform.

Keep ReadingShow less
england-flags-reuters

A Union Jack flag and England's flag of St George hang from a pedestrain bridge as a man walks past, in Radcliffe, near Manchester, August 22, 2025. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Union Jack and St George’s Cross at centre of migration tensions

Highlights:

  • Flags more visible across England amid migration debate
  • Protests outside hotels for asylum seekers linked to flag displays
  • Councils removing some flags citing safety concerns

THE RED and white St George's Cross and the Union Jack have been appearing across England in recent weeks. Supporters say the move is about national pride, while others see it as linked to rising anti-immigration sentiment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Vantara

Inaugurated last year by prime minister Narendra Modi, the sanctuary reportedly houses over 10,000 animals from 330 species, including tigers, elephants, Komodo dragons, and giant anteaters.

X/@narendramodi

India’s top court orders probe into Ambani family’s zoo project

INDIA’s Supreme Court has ordered an investigation into allegations of illegal animal imports and financial irregularities at Vantara, a private zoo run by Anant Ambani, son of Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani.

Vantara describes itself as the “world’s biggest wild animal rescue centre” and is located in Gujarat. According to India’s Central Zoo Authority, it houses more than 200 elephants, 50 bears, 160 tigers, 200 lions, 250 leopards and 900 crocodiles, along with other species.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk energy bill

Ofgem said the expansion added 1.42 pounds a month on average to all bills.

iStock

Millions to pay more as energy price cap increases

MILLIONS of households in Britain will see higher energy bills from October after regulator Ofgem raised its price cap by 2 per cent.

The new cap for average annual use of electricity and gas will be 1,755 pounds, an increase of about 35 pounds from the July-September level.

Keep ReadingShow less