The case was dormant for over a decade until the police in Leicestershire announced the charge earlier this week.
By: Shubham Ghosh
A 47-year-old man, accused of raping a woman in Leicestershire more than 16 years ago, is set to stand trial at Leicester Crown Court in March.
According to LeicestershireLive, police have confirmed that Mahbubur Rahman of Wolsey Way, Loughborough, will appear at the court on March 6 in connection with an investigation which was previously shut.
The incident is said to have occurred in Loughborough in the early hours of October 7, 2006, when the alleged victim was 19 years old. The case remained dormant for a long time — more than a decade to be precise — until Leicestershire Police announced the charge earlier this week.
Sources in the police said that the accused, who was in his early 30s at the time of the crime, has been charged with one count of rape. He appeared at Leicester Magistrates Court on Wednesday (25) where he was told he will have to appear at the crown court to stand the trial.