Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Kom beats challenger in trial for Olympics qualification

INDIA’S MC Mary Kom sealed her spot for next year's Olympic qualifiers on Saturday (28) with a split decision win over fellow flyweight Nikhat Zareen, who had publicly demanded a trial against the six-times world champion in the race for Tokyo.

The 36-year-old Kom, an Olympic bronze medallist from London 2012, won 9-1 and was selected in the 51 kilogram category in the Indian team for the February 3-14 qualifying competition in Wuhan, China by the Boxing Federation of India (BFI).


The pint-sized puncher was earlier awarded an automatic spot but the 23-year-old Zareen criticised that decision and said Kom should have to go through trials. Zareen also wrote to sports minister Kiren Rijiju demanding his intervention.

Kom had said she would follow the instructions from BFI, which later decided to hold the trials with the row dividing opinion in the country where Kom is hailed as 'Magnificent Mary' for her achievements.

The face of the campaign to get women's boxing into the Olympics in London, Kom won a record sixth gold medal at the World Amateur Boxing Championships last year.

The most recent gold came after a gap of eight years for the trailblazing mother of three, who has also won gold medals at the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games and won her first world championship medal (silver) in 2001.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Mark Zuckerberg

Meta is facing a major US legal challenge over how Facebook and Instagram are designed for young users

Getty Images

Did Meta make Facebook and Instagram addictive on purpose? A US trial could decide

  • Twenty-nine US states are seeking up to $200 billion in damages from Meta.
  • The case could force changes to features including recommendations, notifications and infinite scrolling.
  • Meta denies the allegations and says the states’ financial demands are disproportionate.

Meta is facing one of its biggest challenges yet over a question that could affect the future of Facebook and Instagram: were the platforms designed to keep young users coming back?

A coalition of 29 US states has brought the company to trial in California, accusing Meta of deliberately designing Facebook and Instagram in ways that encouraged addictive use among children and teenagers and harmed their mental health. The states are seeking as much as $200 billion in damages, while also calling for major changes to how the platforms operate.

Keep ReadingShow less