Cancer Research UK
Mental Health Media
Elephant Atta
College of Policing

Knifeman who slashes revellers outside Bradford nightclub jailed for 11 years


A knifeman who left revellers with horrific injuries when he slashed their faces during drunken brawl outside Bradford nightclub is jailed for 11 years. (Photo by Jim Dyson/Getty Images)
A knifeman who left revellers with horrific injuries when he slashed their faces during drunken brawl outside Bradford nightclub is jailed for 11 years. (Photo by Jim Dyson/Getty Images)

A MAN described as “very dangerous” by a probation worker was on Monday (16) jailed for 11 years for stabbing two people in a Bradford nightclub.

Rohaan Akhtar, 21, admitted to stabbing two men while drunk on July 21. But a court heard that a total of five men ended up needing hospital treatment for knife injuries following the violent incident.

Bradford Crown Court head Akhtar was part of a group inside The Village nightclub when the trouble started. Violence later spilled out onto the street.

The shocking incident was caught on camera.

Prosecutor Philip Adams said one victim suffered “a nasty gaping wound” to the left side of his face. The victim later described how he had needed 40 stitches in his wounds and felt “lucky to be alive”.

Akhtar also admitted to lashing out at another man with the knife leaving him with injuries to his face, neck and chest.

On Monday, it was revealed that Akhtar had been given a community order for possession of a folding pocket knife back in April this year.

Akhtar pleaded guilty to two counts of causing grievous bodily harm, violent disorder and possession of a knife. He was sentenced to 11 years in prison with a five year extension.

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Mark Long, of Bradford District Police, said: “I hope this outcome sends out a strong message that violent disorder will not be tolerated in Bradford and that if you use a knife in public to seriously injure someone you will go to prison.

“Violent crime is something we take extremely seriously and we have a force-wide operation in place responding to violent crime.

“Operation Jemlock started in April when the then Temporary Chief Constable John Robins, QPM, met the Home Secretary.

“Police forces including West Yorkshire were given greater stop and search powers and an additional £4.02million in funding.

“As of today we have had results including: 908 arrests, 83 weapons seized and 852 stop search enquiries.

“Jemlock is helping to make a real difference in the communities we serve.”