Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Interpol issues Red Corner Notice against Nirav Modi’s younger brother

THE Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice (RCN) against Nehal Modi, younger brother of Nirav Modi, the main accused in the $2 billion Punjab National Bank (PNB) scam case, officials said on Friday (13).

They said the global arrest warrant against the Belgian national Nehal, 40, has been issued on charges of alleged money laundering that is being probed by India’s law enforcement and economic intelligence agency, Enforcement Directorate (ED).


Nehal Deepak Modi was born in Antwerp, Belgium on March 3, 1979, and he knows languages such as English, Gujarati, and Hindi, according to the RCN issued by the Interpol or international police.

In its RCN issued against a fugitive, the Interpol asks its 192 member countries to arrest or detain the person if spotted in their countries after which extradition or deportation proceedings can begin.

Nehal has been named in the charge sheet filed by the ED in this case and he has been charged with destruction of evidence and "knowingly and intentionally" assisted Nirav Modi in his alleged illegal acts.

The ED alleged that after the PNB fraud came to light, Nehal Modi along with Nirav Modi's close confidante and executive Mihir R Bhansali "took 50-kilogram gold and substantial cash from Dubai, and directed dummy directors not to reveal his name before authorities."

Nirav Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi are alleged to be the main perpetrators of India's biggest bank fraud case that came to the fore last year.

The case pertains to cheating the state-run PNB through fraudulent issuance of letters of undertaking and foreign letters of credit worth over Rs 130bn by Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi.

While Nirav Modi is in jail in London and is contesting his extradition to India, Choksi is stated to be in Antigua

The Interpol has earlier issued RCNs against Nirav Modi, his sister Purvi Modi and Bhansali in the money laundering probe case.

India’s federal probe agency, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is also probing this bank fraud case.

(PTI)

More For You

Ken Tranter

Ken Tranter was elected Hampshire county councillor for Aldershot South on May 7.

Reform UK

Reform councillor apologises after ‘non white persons’ post sparks backlash

A NEWLY elected Reform councillor in Hampshire has apologised after a Facebook post about “non white persons taking over” a public park sparked criticism and accusations of racism.

Ken Tranter, who was elected Hampshire county councillor for Aldershot South on May 7, wrote that he had spoken to police about “non white persons taking over the Municipal Gardens and the strong pervading smell of canabis [sic]”.

Tranter, an army veteran who served 29 years in the regular and Territorial Army and later became mayor of Dover between 2005 and 2006, said he had promised residents he would raise concerns about the park if elected, reported The Times.

Keep ReadingShow less