Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India's RBI declares measures to boost liquidity

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Friday (17) unexpectedly cut its key deposit rate, for the second time in three weeks, to discourage banks from parking idle funds with it and spur lending instead, to revive a flagging economy amid the COVID-19 lockdown.

This week, prime minister Narendra Modi extended until May 3 a lockdown of the population of 1.3 billion as India’s tally of infections exceeded 10,000, despite the three-week shutdown ordered from March 24.


The RBI cut its reverse repo rate by 25 basis points (bps) to 3.75 per cent with immediate effect, governor Shaktikanta Das told a video conference. The rate had already been cut by 90 bps on March 27.

The central bank kept its benchmark lending or repo rate unchanged at 4.40 per cent after a cut of 75 bps last month.

Since his last address on March 27, Das said, India’s economic and financial landscape has “deteriorated precipitously” in some areas.

“The surplus liquidity in the banking system has risen significantly in the wake of government spending and the various liquidity enhancing measures undertaken by the RBI,” he added.

“In order to encourage banks to deploy these surplus funds in investments and loans in productive sectors of the economy, it has been decided to reduce the fixed-rate reverse repo rate.”

Indian banks had been extremely wary of lending over the last few quarters as the economy cooled, and those fears have only increased in recent weeks as business activity collapsed.

Banks have parked 4.36 trillion rupees ($57.02 billion) on average with the RBI over the last three weeks, highlighting the extent of surplus rupee funds in the system.

“It is doubtful whether this flow can be stemmed easily,” said Joseph Thomas, head of research at Emkay Wealth Management.

“Banks are not lending or investing because they fear that under the current conditions they may be adversely impacted.”

TARGETED MEASURES

The RBI announced another round of targeted long-term repo operations and other regulatory measures for banks.

The new round of up to 500 billion rupees will be provided to banks as long as they invest these funds in investment grade bonds, commercial paper and non-convertible debentures of small, mid-size and large non-bank finance companies.

The RBI also opened a refinance facility for the National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Small Industries Development Bank of India and National Housing Bank to meet the long-term funding needs of various rural and small sectors.

“Today’s announcements by RBI will greatly enhance liquidity and improve credit supply,” Modi said on Twitter. “These steps would help our small businesses, MSMEs, farmers and the poor.”

It has announced a $22-billion package targeted at the poor.

Das said the central bank would monitor the situation and take further measures as and when required, while the expected trajectory of inflation would also open up space for policy action, barring any supply-side shocks.

More For You

Jio Platforms

Jio Platforms includes India’s largest telecom operator, Reliance Jio Infocomm, with more than 500 million users. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Jio IPO planned for mid-2026, AI unit announced with Meta and Google

RELIANCE Industries plans to take its telecom and digital arm, Jio Platforms, public by mid-2026, chairman Mukesh Ambani said on Friday. The announcement sets a new timeline for the long-awaited IPO of a business analysts value at over $100 billion.

At its annual general meeting (AGM), Reliance also announced the launch of an artificial intelligence unit in partnership with Google and Meta.

Keep ReadingShow less
Asda tech overhaul

Asda sales fell 0.2 per cent in the three months to June 30, 2025 (AFP via Getty Images)

AFP via Getty Images

Asda boss hails tech overhaul as key to revival despite sales slump

THE chairman of Asda has admitted the supermarket chain still faces challenges after sales slipped again over the summer, but said the completion of a major IT overhaul was crucial for its recovery.

Allan Leighton told the Times that the long-delayed technology project, called Project Future, had finally been finished after years of setbacks and costs exceeding £1 billion. The work involved separating more than 2,500 systems inherited from former owner Walmart, following Asda’s 2021 takeover by TDR Capital.

Keep ReadingShow less
JLR-Getty

A logo is pictured outside a Jaguar Land Rover new car show room in Tonbridge, south east England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

UK car exports to US rebound after trade deal

UK VEHICLE exports to the United States rose in July after a new trade deal between London and Washington reduced tariffs, industry data showed on Thursday.

According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), exports increased 6.8 per cent in July to nearly 10,000 units, following three consecutive months of decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

Christian Michel

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

THE family of Christian Michel, the British businessman accused of acting as a middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal, has appealed to the UK government to push for his release from Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Michel’s relatives met Foreign Office minister Catherine West in London on Tuesday (26). The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said the minister listened to their concerns and updated them on ongoing steps being taken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

Zuber and Mohsin Issa (Photo: LDRS)

Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

ASIAN entrepreneurs Mohsin and Zuber Issa are moving the headquarters of their global forecourt company, EG Group, from Blackburn to the US in preparation for a major stock market listing in New York.

The firm confirmed that its main office will relocate to Charlotte, North Carolina, while a new base in Bolton, Greater Manchester, will handle its remaining UK operations, the Telegraph reported. The change brings an end to almost 25 years of the company being run from Blackburn.

Keep ReadingShow less