Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India vs West Indies: Rohit Sharma rules out major changes to team

With the prospect of rain looming, India are yet to settle on their playing XI

INDIA captain Rohit Sharma is not sure what to expect from the pitch and conditions at Queen's Park Oval this week but ruled out any major changes to his side for the second test against the West Indies beginning on Thursday (20).

A day before the first test in Roseau, which India won inside three days, Rohit announced Yashasvi Jaiswal as his new opening partner replacing Shubman Gill, who moved down to number three.

With the prospect of rain looming over the match, India are yet to settle on their playing XI as they chase a 2-0 series sweep.

"In Dominica, we had a clear idea when we saw the pitch and knew the conditions," Rohit told reporters on Tuesday (18).

"Here we don't have clarity as there is talk of rain, but I don't think there will be drastic changes.

"Whatever the conditions are, based on that, we will make that decision," Rohit said.

The two-test series is seen as the starting point of a transition for India, with Gill replacing veteran Cheteshwar Pujara at number three and Jaiswal and stumper-batsman Ishan Kishan making their test debut in Roseau.

Kishan, an attacking left-handed batter, was picked ahead of KS Bharat, who kept wicket in the World Test Championship final against Australia last month.

Rohit was impressed with Kishan's glovework in Roseau where India's spin duo of Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja claimed 17 of the 20 West Indian wickets to set up their victory.

"He kept really well considering he was playing his first test and was keeping to Jadeja and Ashwin on a pitch which had turn and bounce and the odd ball kept low," Rohit said.

"Ishan is a very talented guy. He scored a double hundred in a one-day internationals recently.

"He has the game and the talent. We just need to give him the freedom to express himself. I have had a clear chat with him about how we want him to play."

(Reuters)

More For You

London celebrates 100 million free school meals

Each child has been provided 435 free lunches over the past two school years

london.gov.uk

London marks 100 million free school, mayor calls it ‘proud’ moment

Highlights

  • 100 million free meals delivered to state primary school children in just over two years.
  • Each child offered 435 free lunches, saving families approximately £500 annually.
  • Schools now receive additional £11.5 m yearly from government for disadvantaged pupils.
London has reached a historic milestone of 100 m free school meals served to state primary school children, funded by mayor Sadiq Khan since September 2023.

The mayor joined schoolchildren in east London to celebrate the achievement, which has seen every child in the capital's state primary schools offered a free healthy meal each day. Each child has been provided 435 free lunches over the past two school years, saving families around £1,500 over three years per child.

Sadiq said "I'm absolutely delighted that 100 million meals have now been provided to children across London's state primary schools. I know from personal experience what a difference these meals make, so to be able to ensure that hundreds of thousands of children are receiving them across London every single day brings huge personal pride."

Keep ReadingShow less