Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Haley says Human Rights Council is UN's 'greatest failure'

US envoy to the United Nations Nikki Haley defended the Donald Trump's administration's decision to withdraw from it saying the UN has provided cover for the world's most inhumane regimes.

"More often, the Human Rights Council has provided cover, not condemnation, for the world's most inhumane regimes. It has been a bully pulpit for human rights violators," Haley said, according to news agency PTI.


Haley alleged that the UN body has ignored the misery inflicted by regimes in Venezuela, Cuba, Zimbabwe and China. "Judged by how far it has fallen short of its promise, the Human Rights Council is the United Nations' greatest failure," Haley said.

"It has taken the idea of human dignity – the idea that is at the center of our national creed and the birthright of every human being – and it has reduced it to just another instrument of international politics. And that is a great tragedy," Haley said.

Last month, the US withdrew from the UN Human Rights Council accusing it of "chronic bias" against Israel.

"We take this step because our commitment does not allow us to remain a part of a hypocritical and self-serving organisation that makes a mockery of human rights," Haley said at the time.

Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, the UN high commissioner for human rights, called the announcement "disappointing, if not really surprising". "Given the state of human rights in today's world, the US should be stepping up, not stepping back," he added.

The move was appreciated by Israel, a major ally of the US. Israel called the Trump administration's decision a "courageous" move.

More For You

Costly medical taxi trips prompt asylum transport crackdown: report

The UK Border Force vessel brings migrants into Dover port who were intercepted crossing the English Channel on October 08, 2025 in Dover, England. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Costly medical taxi trips prompt asylum transport crackdown: report

THE government will ban asylum seekers from using taxis for medical appointments from February, following a BBC investigation that uncovered long and costly journeys arranged at public expense.

The BBC reported earlier this year that some asylum seekers living in hotels had been sent in taxis for appointments many miles away.

Keep ReadingShow less