Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

'Friends' actor Matthew Perry dies aged 54

Reports citing law enforcement sources, reported that the American-Canadian performer was found dead in a jacuzzi at his Los Angeles home

'Friends' actor Matthew Perry dies aged 54

MATTHEW PERRY , troubled star of the smash hit TV sitcom Friends, was found dead at his home in Los Angeles on Saturday (28), US media reported. He was 54.

First responders found Perry unconscious in a hot tub at his house and were unable to revive him, law enforcement sources told the Los Angeles Times.


"We responded at 4.10 pm... It is a death investigation for a male in his 50s," a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman told AFP, without confirming the deceased's name.

A fire department spokesman confirmed it had responded to a "water emergency," which could refer to a "pool, spa, bathtub or fountain," but could not confirm reports that Perry had drowned.

American broadcaster NBC, which aired "Friends" for nearly a decade, confirmed the death.

"We are incredibly saddened by the too soon passing of Matthew Perry," said NBC said in a post on social media platform X, formerly Twitter.

"He brought so much joy to hundreds of millions of people around the world with his pitch perfect comedic timing and wry wit. His legacy will live on through countless generations," it said.

Perry was best known for his portrayal of the wise-cracking Chandler Bing on the wildly popular Friends, which ran for 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004.

Friends followed the lives of six New Yorkers navigating adult life, dating and careers. It was a mainstay of NBC's much-vaunted 1990s and early 2000s television lineup, and drew a massive global following.

During the height of his success, Perry battled for years with addiction to painkillers and alcohol, and attended rehabilitation clinics on multiple occasions.

Perry experienced health problems including a burst colon in 2018 due to his drug usage, which required multiple surgeries and the use of a colostomy bag for months after.

In his memoir Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing, published last year, Perry described going through detox dozens of times, and spending millions of dollars in repeated attempts to get sober.

Perry dedicated the book to "all of the sufferers out there," and wrote in the prologue: "I should be dead."

He wrote: "People would be surprised to know that I have mostly been sober since 2001. Save for about sixty or seventy little mishaps over the years."

TMZ, which first reported the news Saturday, said that no drugs were found at the scene. The celebrity news outlet said Perry was found by his assistant, who called 911.

The LA Times and TMZ both said there were no signs of foul play, citing anonymous sources.

Reactions poured in from the Hollywood community on social media as news of Perry's death spread.

"Oh no!!! Matthew Perry!! You sweet, troubled soul!!" wrote Mira Sorvino, who starred with Perry in the 1994 television movie "Parallel Lives."

"May you find peace and happiness in Heaven, making everyone laugh with your singular wit!!!"

Josh Charles, who appeared with Perry on "The Good Wife," wrote: "Awful news. RIP brother."

Warner Bros. TV, which produced "Friends," wrote: "We are devastated to learn of Matthew Perry's passing. He was a true gift to us all.

"Our heart goes out to his family, loved ones and all of his fans."

Perry was born in Massachusetts in 1969, and was raised between Montreal and Los Angeles after his parents separated.

His mother was a Canadian journalist who served as press secretary to then prime minister Pierre Trudeau. His father was a US actor.

On Saturday, current Canadian PM Justin Trudeau, Pierre's son, said Perry's death was "shocking and saddening".

"I'll never forget the schoolyard games we used to play, and I know people around the world are never going to forget the joy he brought them," Trudeau posted on social media platform X.

As a teenager, Perry was a nationally ranked tennis star in Canada before moving to California and pursuing acting.

In the 1980s, Perry had guest roles in popular shows such as Charles in Charge and Growing Pains.

He was the final, and youngest, lead actor to be cast for Friends.

Perry and his co-stars -- Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer -- negotiated $1 million each, per episode, by the end of their colossally popular and zeitgeist-setting 236-episode run.

In a sign of the show's enduring appeal, the gang reportedly pocketed $2.5 million each for a reunion episode in 2021.

He was nominated for five Emmys, including two for guest appearances on The West Wing, but never won the prestigious television award.

(AFP)

More For You

Emma Stone Venice

Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens

Getty Images

Emma Stone stuns Venice by claiming it is ‘narcissistic’ to think humans are alone in the universe

Highlights:

  • Emma Stone declares her belief in aliens during Venice promotion of Bugonia
  • The Oscar-winning actor cites Carl Sagan’s philosophy as her inspiration
  • Bugonia, directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, is a remake of Korean cult hit Save the Green Planet!
  • Film stars Jesse Plemons alongside Stone and is set for UK release in November

Emma Stone has said she believes in aliens, making the confession while promoting her new film Bugonia at the Venice Film Festival. The Oscar-winning actor linked her belief to the philosophy of astronomer Carl Sagan, who argued it was “pretty narcissistic” to assume humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe. The subject mirrors the central theme of her latest project, which sees her play a powerful CEO accused of being an alien by two conspiracy theorists.

Emma Stone Venice Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
Guru Randhawa Azul controversy

Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls

Instagram/gururandhawa

Guru Randhawa’s 'Azul' music video slammed for sexualising schoolgirls, Sonam Kapoor joins outrage

Highlights:

  • Guru Randhawa’s Azul video has sparked outrage for depicting schoolgirls in a sexualised manner
  • Sonam Kapoor and others reacted after a viral post highlighted the issue
  • The singer has also been summoned by a Samrala court over separate objectionable lyrics
  • Randhawa has restricted Instagram comments amid growing criticism

Punjabi pop star Guru Randhawa is facing widespread criticism after his latest release Azul was accused of sexualising schoolgirls. The glossy music video, in which Randhawa plays a photographer visiting an all-girls school, has been slammed as “problematic” and “pornographic” by critics and social media users. The backlash coincides with a separate case where the singer has been summoned by a Samrala court for allegedly promoting drug use through his lyrics in Sirra, intensifying the storm around him.

Guru Randhawa Azul controversy Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls Instagram/gururandhawa

Keep ReadingShow less
Travis Kelce engagement turns into £2m racehorse gamble as Swift Delivery chases glory for Taylor Swift

Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift

Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav

Travis Kelce engagement turns into £2m racehorse gamble as Swift Delivery chases glory for Taylor Swift

Highlights:

  • NFL star Travis Kelce set to give Taylor Swift an unusual engagement present
  • His horse Swift Delivery lines up for a £2m (₹20.8 crore) race in Kentucky
  • The four-time winning horse is co-owned with Gary Barber and Team Valor International
  • Fans and racing circles are watching closely after the couple’s engagement announcement

American football star Travis Kelce's engagement news has sparked worldwide attention, but the Kansas City Chiefs tight end has another reason to celebrate. His racehorse, aptly named Swift Delivery, will run in the £2 million (₹20.8 crore) Mint Millions Invitational at Kentucky Downs next month. Coming just weeks after Kelce confirmed his engagement to pop superstar Taylor Swift, the timing has added to the buzz.

Travis Kelce engagement gift could include £2m racehorse win for Taylor Swift Instagram/taylorswift/killatrav

Keep ReadingShow less
Shah Rukh Khan &  Kinshuk Sen’s

Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London with praise for Kinshuk Sen’s performance

Getty Images/ Instagram/kinshuksen

Kinshuk Sen says Shah Rukh Khan’s words on Palash Sen turned his DDLJ musical debut into a family full-circle moment

Highlights:

  • Palash Sen’s son Kinshuk Sen stars in Aditya Chopra’s Come Fall in Love – The DDLJ Musical
  • The UCLA graduate plays Kuljeet, originally portrayed by Parmeet Sethi in the 1995 classic
  • The stage show has travelled from the US to the UK, earning praise from diverse audiences
  • Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London and shared a personal memory with Kinshuk

Kinshuk Sen, son of celebrated singer Palash Sen, has stepped into the spotlight with Aditya Chopra’s DDLJ musical, Come Fall in Love. The UCLA graduate, who once pursued cognitive science, now plays the role of Kuljeet in the global stage adaptation of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. In a recent conversation, he shared how the journey from research labs to live theatre unfolded, and what it meant when Shah Rukh Khan recognised him with a message linking back to his father.

Shah Rukh Khan surprised the cast in London with praise for Kinshuk Sen’s performance Getty Images/ Instagram/kinshuksen

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Columbus Harry Potter reboot

Chris Columbus says leaked photos of Hagrid in HBO’s Harry Potter reboot felt like déjà vu

Instagram/harrypotterhbonotofficial/ Getty Images

Chris Columbus, director of first 2 'Harry Potter' films, slams HBO series as 'pointless'

Highlights:

  • Original Harry Potter director Chris Columbus says leaked set photos of HBO’s series left him unimpressed.
  • Columbus noted Hagrid’s costume looks “exactly the same” as Robbie Coltrane’s in the films.
  • The filmmaker said he felt déjà vu, asking “What’s the point?” of the reboot.
  • HBO’s Harry Potter remake is set to debut in 2027, with Nick Frost playing Hagrid.

Chris Columbus, the director who first brought Harry Potter to the big screen, has questioned the point of HBO’s upcoming television reboot after seeing set photos of Hagrid. Speaking on The Rest Is Entertainment podcast, Columbus said the images reminded him too closely of his own work, raising doubts about why the Harry Potter reboot was necessary at all. His comments have reignited discussion about how faithfully the new series should mirror the original films.

Chris Columbus says leaked photos of Hagrid in HBO’s Harry Potter reboot felt like déjà vu Instagram/harrypotterhbonotofficial/ Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less