Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

'Chalte Chalte': Revisiting the turbulent tale behind the film twenty years later

What happened behind the scenes was perhaps even more compelling, with everything from a fight to fractured relationships and an explosive aftermath

'Chalte Chalte': Revisiting the turbulent tale behind the film twenty years later

When Chalte Chalte was released on June 13, 2003, it became a big success and received attention for everything, from the relatable story of a married couple facing difficulty to shooting parts of the movie at eye-catching locations in Greece.

But what happened behind the scenes was perhaps even more compelling, with everything from a fight to fractured relationships and an explosive aftermath. To mark the 20th anniversary of Chalte Chalte, Eastern Eye revisited the turbulent tale of a film that had high drama during production and left a destructive domino effect behind.


The 1992 film Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman turned newcomer Shah Rukh Khan into a star, launched Aziz Mirza as a director and established Juhi Chawla as an A-list actress. The talented trio formed a firm friendship and teamed up for the successful 1997 romantic comedy Yes Boss. They then jointly launched the production company Dreamz Unlimited with the unsuccessful film Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (2000), with Shah Rukh and Juhi playing the lead roles, and Mirza directing.

Historical epic Asoka (2001) then failed at the box office, so a lot was riding on their next venture as producers, Chalte Chalte. Juhi Chawla stepped back from playing the lead role, and that triggered a remarkable turn of events.

Rani Mukerji was approached to play the lead role but declined due to a busy schedule and the plot being similar to her hit film Saathiya (2002). Meanwhile, Aishwarya Rai had established herself and was cast in the lead role. Having scored a big success opposite Shah Rukh with smash hit movie Devdas (2002), it was seen as the perfect casting coup.

Rai had started up what had turned into a volatile relationship with Salman Khan on the sets of Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999) and by 2002 they had broken up. But it seemed as if Salman wasn’t willing to accept the split.

Work commenced on Chalte Chalte, but very early on in the shooting, Salman burst onto the set and caused chaos. Although no one knew what exactly happened that day, there were various reports including him being abusive and even beating up the film’s lead star and producer Shah Rukh.

Shooting for the movie came to a halt and Rai was fired as the leading lady. Kajol turned down the opportunity to replace her and Mukerji stepped in.

The movie was completed and despite subtle similarities to Saathiya, the story of a couple facing marital problems became Shah Rukh’s first success as a producer. Eye-catching locations in Greece were presented in a Bollywood film for the first time and the make-up worn by Mukerji became a rage.

But the Chalte Chalte story didn’t end there.

Lead Chalte Chalte . V1  1 a poster of the movie

While Rai’s rift with Salman became permanent, any friendship she had with Mukerji and Shah Rukh got destroyed.

Years later, Rai revealed how the whole incident had left her confused, hurt, and completely taken aback because she had been removed from subsequent films with Shah Rukh, including Veer Zaara.

She had said: “Yes, at the time, there was talk of a couple of films that we would be working in together. And then, suddenly they weren’t happening, without any explanation whatsoever. I have never had the answer to why.”

Shah Rukh would later express regret about the whole incident, but said his hands were tied as a producer and he needed to get the movie finished on time. He had said: “I’m personally very saddened at the fact, as Aishwarya was a very close friend and I have done some really marvellous films with her, and we get along really well. Personally, it’s very saddening for something to reach this level. I feel very sorry about it.”

Similarly, Shah Rukh wouldn’t speak to Salman for many years.

There was also a secondary fall-out because Salman’s brother Sohail Khan went from potentially getting a career changing break in Main Hoon Na to being replaced by Zayed Khan.

Vivek Oberoi had started dating Rai, which meant that he lost out on plum projects involving Mukerji like Hum Tum. Salman would also make life difficult for Oberoi, who eventually broke up with Rai, but couldn’t stop his promising career from imploding, after getting caught in the Chalte Chalte crossfire.

Even though Chalte Chalte was a success, Shah Rukh decided to end his partnership with Chawla and Mirza by folding Dreamz Unlimited. He instead started his own production company Red Chillies Entertainment, which would become hugely powerful. Despite starring in Mirza’s first four films as a director, the actor would never work with him again.

As time progressed, the stories associated with Chalte Chalte, triggered by Salman invading the sets became legendary. Shah Rukh would eventually make up with Salman, but then have another epic fight with him years later and then finally become friends again. They both recently shared screen space in Pathaan.

While film fans will celebrate Chalte Chalte on its 20th anniversary this week, there are many associated with it in some way who likely won’t want to remember all the drama that happened during its production and the subsequent fall out.

More For You

Heidi Klum

Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival

Instagram/heidiklum

Heidi Klum Venice Film Festival look with daughter Leni reignites criticism over mother-daughter lingerie fashion partnership

Highlights:

  • Heidi Klum and daughter Leni walked the Venice Film Festival red carpet in matching corset-style gowns.
  • The supermodel opted for a blush pink silk design, while Leni wore an inky black version.
  • Both gowns were created by Italian lingerie brand Intimissimi, for which they are ambassadors.
  • The mother-daughter duo previously fronted a controversial campaign for the same brand.

Heidi Klum's Venice Film Festival appearances always generate headlines, but this year she doubled the impact by walking the red carpet with her daughter Leni. The pair stunned in co-ordinated gowns from Italian intimates brand Intimissimi, bringing high fashion and red carpet glamour together in one of the festival’s most talked-about moments. Their matching corset silhouettes highlighted the duo’s modelling credentials and added a striking family twist to the opening night of the prestigious event.

Heidi Klum Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival Instagram/heidiklum

Keep ReadingShow less
Ahaan Panday

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara

Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Ahaan Panday says Bollywood wronged him and admits he was delusional before 'Saiyaara' broke box office records

Highlights:

  • Ahaan Panday opens up on being ‘wronged’ before his Bollywood debut
  • Actor admits he spent years in ‘blind optimism’ waiting for launch
  • Saiyaara has become the highest-grossing love story in Indian cinema history
  • The Mohit Suri directorial collected £53 million (₹563 crore) worldwide

Bollywood newcomer Ahaan Panday has revealed that he felt “wronged” by people in the industry before finally making his long-awaited debut with Mohit Suri’s Saiyaara. The 27-year-old actor, who comes from the well-known Panday family, said he lived in “blind optimism” for four to five years as projects kept falling through. Despite setbacks, Ahaan maintained that he never became bitter and channelled his struggles into his performance.

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Keep ReadingShow less
Alison Balsom retirement

Alison Balsom prepares for her final bow at the Last Night Of The Proms 2025

Getty Images

Alison Balsom retirement confirmed as Proms star quits after saying trumpet career feels unsustainable with family life

Highlights:

  • Trumpeter Alison Balsom confirms retirement after 40 years of performing
  • Her final concert will be the Last Night of the Proms 2025 on 13 September
  • She will play the Hummel Trumpet Concerto in E flat major for her farewell
  • The 46-year-old OBE winner cites family and intensity of touring as reasons

Classical trumpeter Alison Balsom retirement news has been confirmed, with the British musician set to step away from performing after one last appearance at the Last Night of the Proms. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s This Cultural Life, she revealed her “last night on stage” will be marked by playing the Hummel Trumpet Concerto, a work she has championed throughout her career. Married to filmmaker Sir Sam Mendes, Balsom said the decision was shaped by her family life and the unsustainable demands of constant touring.

Alison Balsom retirement Alison Balsom prepares for her final bow at the Last Night Of The Proms 2025 Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Highlights:

  • Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
  • Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
  • Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
  • Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes

Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.

The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art

Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Highlights:

  • Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
  • Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
  • Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
  • Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet

Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Keep ReadingShow less