Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Business Giants, Banks Join Hands to Launch First Commodities Blockchain Platform

International banks and trading companies are starting the first blockchain supported platform for financing the trading of commodities, the companies and banks involved in the unique project said in a joint statement on Wednesday (19).

The new platform will be operated by a venture known as komgo SA. The venture will be based in Geneva and is expected to go live by the end of 2018.


Fifteen of the world’s largest institutions, including banks, trading companies, an inspection company, and an energy major have formed the new venture, komgo SA, that will seek to digitalise the trade and commodities finance sector through a blockchain based open platform.

The founders of this new company, managed and operated as an independent entity, include companies, ABN AMRO, BNP Paribas, Citi, Crédit Agricole Group, Gunvor, ING, Koch Supply & Trading, Macquarie, Mercuria, MUFG Bank, Natixis, Rabobank, Shell, SGS and Societe Generale.

“The launch of komgo SA highlights a shared vision for industry innovation and underlines the ongoing commitment among members to build a truly open and more efficient network within commodity trading,” said Souleïma Baddi, Chief Executive Officer of komgo SA.

The core team of the two successful blockchain based Proofs of Concept (PoC) previously tested in energy and soft commodities trading (Easy Trading Connect 12 and Easy Trading Connect 23) have joined komgo SA to develop a decentralised Ethereum blockchain based platform.

“The potential that distributed ledger technologies (DLT) have in transforming the commodities sector is clear as evidenced with the success of the Easy Trading Connect experiments” said Toon Leijtens, Chief Technology Officer of komgo SA.

“We can now achieve a long-term ambition to improve security and operational efficiency in the commodity trade finance sector,” he added.

komgo SA is a secured platform that is part of an emerging global ecosystem aiming to optimise the whole flow of physical commodity operations.

komgo SA will start with two products, expected to launch before year-end. The first one will standardize and facilitate KYC process without using a central database: the exchange of documents will be executed in an encrypted way over the blockchain on a need to know basis.

The second product will be digital letters of credit, allowing commodity houses or other platforms to submit digital trade data and documents to komgo SA customer banks of their choice. Due to a strong overlap of shareholders between komgo SA and VAKT, incorporated in 2017 to develop a blockchain based post-trade processing platform for commodities, the two companies will explore synergies between both platforms moving forward.

komgo SA has been incorporated in Geneva, one of the main worldwide commodity-based clusters, and benefits from the strong support of the Canton de Genève.

The platform will be developed in partnership with ConsenSys, the largest formation of technologists and entrepreneurs building applications, infrastructure, and solutions on the Ethereum network.

Joseph Lubin, Co-founder of Ethereum, and Founder of ConsenSys said, “we are now entering a new era of simple and inclusive access to blockchain technology to advance stronger, more collaborative, business relationships previously out of reach."

"We are thrilled to see leading commodity trade finance banks and commodity houses come together to create komgo SA, which will radically simplify and accelerate trustworthiness, auditability, and accessibility to trade financing across the industry,” Lubin added.

More For You

Bangladesh-protests-Getty

Anti-government protesters display Bangladesh’s national flag at Sheikh Hasina’s palace in Dhaka last year. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Bangladesh Election Commission announces roadmap for February polls

BANGLADESH’s Election Commission (EC) on Thursday released a roadmap for the general election, expected to be held in February next year.

The poll schedule will be announced at least 60 days before the voting date, officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
Emma Stone Venice

Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens

Getty Images

Emma Stone stuns Venice by claiming it is ‘narcissistic’ to think humans are alone in the universe

Highlights:

  • Emma Stone declares her belief in aliens during Venice promotion of Bugonia
  • The Oscar-winning actor cites Carl Sagan’s philosophy as her inspiration
  • Bugonia, directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, is a remake of Korean cult hit Save the Green Planet!
  • Film stars Jesse Plemons alongside Stone and is set for UK release in November

Emma Stone has said she believes in aliens, making the confession while promoting her new film Bugonia at the Venice Film Festival. The Oscar-winning actor linked her belief to the philosophy of astronomer Carl Sagan, who argued it was “pretty narcissistic” to assume humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe. The subject mirrors the central theme of her latest project, which sees her play a powerful CEO accused of being an alien by two conspiracy theorists.

Emma Stone Venice Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
chicken-pox-istock

The Department of Health said the rollout would reduce missed days at nursery and school, cut time parents take off work, and save the NHS about £15 million a year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

England to introduce free chickenpox vaccine for children from 2026

CHILDREN in England will be offered a free chickenpox vaccine for the first time from January 2026, the government has announced.

GP practices will give eligible children a combined vaccine for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) as part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule. Around half a million children each year are expected to be protected.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-japan

Modi is on a two-day visit to Japan from August 29 to 30. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

X/@narendramodi

India, Japan to expand partnership; Modi to meet Xi, Putin next

Highlights:

  • Modi says India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century”
  • Japan to announce $68 billion investment in India over 10 years
  • Modi to attend SCO summit in China, meet Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin
  • India and Japan to deepen cooperation in trade, technology and security

PRIME MINISTER Narendra Modi on Thursday said India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century,” as he began a two-nation visit that will also take him to China for the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit.

Keep ReadingShow less
Guru Randhawa Azul controversy

Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls

Instagram/gururandhawa

Guru Randhawa’s 'Azul' music video slammed for sexualising schoolgirls, Sonam Kapoor joins outrage

Highlights:

  • Guru Randhawa’s Azul video has sparked outrage for depicting schoolgirls in a sexualised manner
  • Sonam Kapoor and others reacted after a viral post highlighted the issue
  • The singer has also been summoned by a Samrala court over separate objectionable lyrics
  • Randhawa has restricted Instagram comments amid growing criticism

Punjabi pop star Guru Randhawa is facing widespread criticism after his latest release Azul was accused of sexualising schoolgirls. The glossy music video, in which Randhawa plays a photographer visiting an all-girls school, has been slammed as “problematic” and “pornographic” by critics and social media users. The backlash coincides with a separate case where the singer has been summoned by a Samrala court for allegedly promoting drug use through his lyrics in Sirra, intensifying the storm around him.

Guru Randhawa Azul controversy Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls Instagram/gururandhawa

Keep ReadingShow less